#PrayForDawkins

Here's an interesting observation. . .

I once believed in God and Christ with unwavering faith. Now I don't and call myself an agnostic.

The lesson? Just because you think something doesn't make it true. People change their minds about things large and small all the time. This alone should at least engender a certain respect toward other people's thought patterns.
I did too. There are TOO many possibilities of where we came from. Pigeon holing yourself into that one thing's completely absurd.

Opposing people who peddle nonsense doesn't make you part of a hate group. I've always thought he was far too tame anyway.

Comparing him to a nazi supporter makes you look like a rustled child.
He doesn't understand this. He's probably one of those people that sees athiesm as it's own religion. Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position. Shadowpriest wants to control how others think and what they believe.

I suppose if he advocated for violence for those that opposed his viewpoint I'd agree with you about his 'extremism'.

Your last sentence is one of the reasons why I admire Mr. Dawkins. If there were any evidence to support a religion, he would gladly accept it. Until then, Christianity is a bronze-age superstition, as with Islam.

While I'm not personally a Christian, it would be false for me to act like there's not evidence for the Christian faith. There is evidence. Proof? No. But there's not much proof in this world for anything. Trying PROVING that Julius Caesar actually existed.

If you want evidence and strong philosophical arguments that I would recommend:

"Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis or "Handbook of Christian Apologetics" by Peter Kreeft.

He doesn't understand this. He's probably one of those people that sees athiesm as it's own religion. Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position. Shadowpriest wants to control how others think and what they believe.

I don't give a shit what people believe. I live in Salt Lake City, home of Mormonism. I'm not Mormon, yet respect Mormonism and Mormons greatly. There's a lot of good stuff there.

I do give a shit though when people treat others like shit. You know why? Because that's fucked up.

Maybe it goes back to my Southern upbringing, where I was taught to be polite and love others as yourself. Oh wait. . . Didn't Jesus say something like that?

You've been a beneficiary of this philosophy yourself, Buk. I don't agree with 90% of what you say. But I believe in your right to say it. And I believe in your sincerity.

So while I find it extreme and quite frankly pretty intolerant, I remind myself that you are practicing your freedom of speech.

I don't give a shit what people believe. I live in Salt Lake City, home of Mormonism. I'm not Mormon, yet respect Mormonism and Mormons greatly. There's a lot of good stuff there.

I do give a shit though when people treat others like shit. You know why? Because that's fucked up.

Maybe it goes back to my Southern upbringing, where I was taught to be polite and love others as yourself. Oh wait. . . Didn't Jesus say something like that?

You've been a beneficiary of this philosophy yourself, Buk. I don't agree with 90% of what you say. But I believe in your right to say it. And I believe in your sincerity.

So while I find it extreme and quite frankly pretty intolerant, I remind myself that you are practicing your freedom of speech.
You've just summed up what being a nice human being's all about. Thank you for realising there's no need for a religion, of any sort.

Lol its messed up to troll a guy who just had a stroke... U know he's getting mad seeing that hastag

Opposing people who peddle nonsense doesn't make you part of a hate group. I've always thought he was far too tame anyway.

Comparing him to a nazi supporter makes you look like a rustled child.

Being hateful, in an institutionalized setting (as atheism has created), makes you part of a hate group.

Not that there's ALWAYS a problem with being hateful. Maybe some things deserve to be hated. But at least own what you are.

When the worst thing people can come up with against "militant" atheists is they're mean or annoying it tells you everything you need to know.

Being impolite is actually pretty shitty. Not sure how you were raised.

I did too. There are TOO many possibilities of where we came from. Pigeon holing yourself into that one thing's completely absurd.

I don't disagree. Which is exactly why I don't disrespect anyone with beliefs on the topic.

You believe it was Yaweh and Jesus? Cool. You think it some pagan shit? Cool. You think it was aliens? Cool.

Because I don't know. It could be ANYTHING.

You've just summed up what being a nice human being's all about. Thank you for realising there's no need for a religion, of any sort.

I don't know about a "need." I do think some people have a need for it but speaking psychologically is another subject.

I am mostly interested in truth. What is true? And what's the evidence?

I don't disagree. Which is exactly why I don't disrespect anyone with beliefs on the topic.

You believe it was Yaweh and Jesus? Cool. You think it some pagan shit? Cool. You think it was aliens? Cool.

Because I don't know. It could be ANYTHING.
Love this shit. Zakk Wylde's on my TV right now. He could've been a balloon in a previous life.

Never do know. . .

Long live Vermin Supreme!

adYoQ8D_700b.jpg

Being hateful, in an institutionalized setting (as atheism has created), makes you part of a hate group.

Not that there's ALWAYS a problem with being hateful. Maybe some things deserve to be hated. But at least own what you are.

Being impolite is actually pretty shitty. Not sure how you were raised.

No, opposing the teaching of nonsense to children for example doesn't make you a hate group. Let alone compared to a nazi. I've never heard the likes of Dawkins say they hate religious people, they may hate the likes of the teaching of pseudo science but a hate group that does not make.

The point is that if the worst thing you can say about a group is they're mean then they're not bad. Meanwhile there are many many groups out there doing so much worse. At the end of the day if people are offended by people opposing religion then too bad, ideas need to be questioned.

Shadow, we've turned a corner. I thought you were completely pro religion. I don't hang out here as much as I used to but I always considered you to be completely pro religion. Let's go find some reprobates to shag in celebration !

No, opposing the teaching of nonsense to children for example doesn't make you a hate group. Let alone compared to a nazi. I've never heard the likes of Dawkins say they hate religious people, they may hate the likes of the teaching of pseudo science but a hate group that does not make.

The point is that if the worst thing you can say about a group is they're mean then they're not bad. Meanwhile there are many many groups out there doing so much worse. At the end of the day if people are offended by people opposing religion then too bad, ideas need to be questioned.
See this annoys me now as an adult. I was brought up going to Sunday school etc. Thankfully now as an adult I can think for myself but I would give my child the access to everything necessary to form their own informed opinion. I wasn't given that, and had to find my own way. That said, I LOVED being in the church choir, it was lovely.

Shadow, we've turned a corner. I thought you were completely pro religion. I don't hang out here as much as I used to but I always considered you to be completely pro religion. Let's go find some reprobates to shag in celebration !

LOL, indeed. . .

I am not so much pro-religion as I am in favor of people finding their own path. If it leads to religion, then that deserves to be respected. If it's leads away, then that also should be respected.

If it brings about any clarity to my own beliefs, as I type this I'm listening to Powerwolf, a band highly critical of the Christian church.

See this annoys me now as an adult. I was brought up going to Sunday school etc. Thankfully now as an adult I can think for myself but I would give my child the access to everything necessary to form their own informed opinion. I wasn't given that, and had to find my own way. That said, I LOVED being in the church choir, it was lovely.

Would you be OK if they also taught Islam to your children and presented it as 'fact' like Christianity?

Dawkins has said some pretty hateful shit. And he has made people who believe things that he doesn't believe out to be assholes. Look. . . He's a dick. As I just mentioned, I live in the heart of Mormonism but I'm not Mormon. Do I hunt those guys down to make them feel like shit? No. I respect them and their beliefs.

At the end of the day, we're all just trying to make it through this world.

There are interesting, well-reasoned ideas FOR God and AGAINST God.

But no one wants to acknowledge the competition and that's what bothers me.

Back