#PrayForDawkins

Coining him as Darwin's Rottweiler was so fitting. Interesting that such a rage filled man is only having his first stroke at 74.

One could hope sincere, since that's actually in line with their supposed beliefs

Guys like Dawkins annoy the shit out of Christians, but it is their duty to do their best to put their personal feelings aside and care for him anyway.

What really makes it worse though is how goddamn smug he is.

This sort of thing is so predictable and would be ridiculed by Dawkins as it was by Hitchens (the two often basically identified as a two headed monster).

Hitchens was more charming and classy than Dawkins. Take this video for instance. He says the same thing that Dawkins would say in the same situation, and doesn't put up with any bullshit, but he says it in a way that's a little more charming and a little more respectful of the individual he's talking to.

The Church of England sent out a tweet asking people to pray for him. So the question is: were they being sincere, or assholes? Probably assholes.

The Church of England has defended a tweet it sent praying for secularist Richard Dawkins after he had a stroke.

The Church tweeted on Friday "Prayers for Prof Dawkins and his family" after the author fell ill on 5 February.

It was retweeted more than 1,000 times and led some to question if it was mocking the British atheist's position.

But the Church's communications director defended the comment, saying it was a "genuine tweet offering prayer for a public person who was unwell".​

Dude's an asshole, but he's a smart asshole. Hope he recovers quickly.

I wish him a speedy death, so can finally find out what most of us have known all along...that God is the realist.
Well he is still alive...must be part of a bigger plan.
I'm still curious as to who will apologies to who, Dawkins for not believing, or God for inventing an unbelieving man. Doesn't matter, Dawkins is going to hell for committing science.
That's very Christian of you

bQyFxMI.png

The Church of England sent out a tweet asking people to pray for him. So the question is: were they being sincere, or assholes? Probably assholes.

Jesus loves a little sarcasm from time to time.

Look at the UFC fighters he helps win in the cage.

Hitchens was more charming and classy than Dawkins. Take this video for instance. He says the same thing that Dawkins would say in the same situation, and doesn't put up with any bullshit, but he says it in a way that's a little more charming and a little more respectful of the individual he's talking to.

Oh I know. They are basically nothing alike in terms of mannerisms, personality, and rhetorical skills. Really the only thing they had in common is their vocal atheism.

* edit: mind you, his 'charm' and 'respect' had limits- he could actually be much more brutal than Dawkins (see his words on Falwell, for just one example).

I'm not a fan, but I will pray for him. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not dying is no fun at all. I hope that he recovers and can have more physically good years and that he repents. No, I'm not trolling or taking any joy in his suffering.

That's very Christian of you

I haven't gone by that name since I joined the Anti-atheism Sacred Saints of the Holy Order of Light Eternal.

Otherwise know as, A.S.S.H.O.L.E

We are everywhere, there are many of us all around you.

Join us.

Our initiation is a spiritual awakening that will stretch you to new dimensions.

Sincere assholes

Have you listened to him and Lala Ward reading The God Delusion (audio book)?
Lot of good stuff, but you can cut the condescension with a knife.

I can't say I've listened to that.

The funny thing is that I actually have a book of his on my bookshelf (The Greatest Show on Earth), so I have directly supported him financially and given him a chance to say what he wants to say, but I never can get past his shitty fucking attitude. He can believe whatever he wants to believe, but don't be a dick.

In the interest of fairness, I should say the same for Christians. They can believe what they want to believe, but don't be dicks about it.

So I guess the bottom line, regardless of where you stand on pretty much anything, is don't be a dick. There's a way to say what you need to say while still being respectful of competing viewpoints.

Oh I know. They are basically nothing alike in terms of mannerisms, personality, and rhetorical skills. Really the only thing they had in common is their vocal atheism.

* edit: mind you, his 'charm' and 'respect' had limits- he could actually be much more brutal than Dawkins (see his words on Falwell, for just one example).

I should look that up (Hitchens vs Falwell). Falwell is a pretty extreme example when it comes to Christianity, though.

I can't say I've listened to that.

The funny thing is that I actually have a book of his on my bookshelf (The Greatest Show on Earth), so I have directly supported him financially and given him a chance to say what he wants to say, but I never can get past his shitty fucking attitude. He can believe whatever he wants to believe, but don't be a dick.

In the interest of fairness, I should say the same for Christians. They can believe what they want to believe, but don't be dicks about it.

So I guess the bottom line, regardless of where you stand on pretty much anything, is don't be a dick. There's a way to say what you need to say while still being respectful of competing viewpoints.

Sam Harris is also a jimmy rustler, in that he is even found to be insulting to the moderates. First half of End of Faith was very good, but the second half reveled him a second rate intellectual in the honesty category. He built up a lot of political cache with a hot button issue, but has been a bit of a hack of late.

Sam Harris is also a jimmy rustler, in that he is even found to be insulting to the moderates. First half of End of Faith was very good, but the second half reveled him a second rate intellectual in the honesty category. He built up a lot of political cache with a hot button issue, but has been a bit of a hack of late.

I have a friend who's an ex-Jehovah's witness turned atheist and he loves Sam Harris. I'm not personally familiar with his work.

Like I said, my only rule is don't be a dick. Did you ever see Bill Maher's "documentary" Religilous? Total dickhead shit there. He just went around finding polite, well-meaning people and did everything he could to cut them down on camera. Fuck that guy.

I should look that up (Hitchens vs Falwell). Falwell is a pretty extreme example when it comes to Christianity, though.
Not sure they ever debated publicly. I'm thinking more of his 'obituaries':

The Man himself dropping hard truth on People who believe in Bronze Age mythology.

[video]

Back