Practice your kesa gatame fellas *Sengoku SPOILER*

interesting tidbits at my (bjj) gym:

kesa gatame is considered weak top control, where you can get swept and have your back taken, so we are not to do them. however my instructor has a judo background: he uses it once in a while. otherwise, i would guess since there aren't any judoka in my class, who have serious kesa gatame pinning skills, it makes sense to have it phased out(?), i don't know

instead we are encouraged to do the modified kuzure version, but everybody calls it, kesa, just kesa, and not even that,they pronounce it "kaysa", as in "i switch my hips and get him in kaysa"

i have always thought that kesa gatame was a legit pin, if done with the right tech, and i always fall into it from a side control escape i use. if cranks were allowed in my class, this would be my first go-to move, - the head and neck are right there for the taking, if the uke has amazing neck strength and won't let me get his head up, then he's exposed his neck for a choke, prolly ezekiel/sode guruma

Yeah, I remember escaping from / sweeping people, etc once in kesa gatame all the time for my first couple of years; or getting my kesa's escaped or countered quite easily.
That made me initially marginalize it as a legit technique.
After a while though I noticed that a badass kesa, applied by a guy who really knew what the heck he was doing, was inescapable.

same thing happened to me. the kesa was just so tight i could not even move my head to the side but i toughed it out to lose by pin

I laughed out loud at this, cause it's EXACTLY how I felt when getting smothered by that wickedly tight kesa at the torunament: I was going to tough it out and LOSE by pin rather than taping to a kesa gatame smother. LMAO...

Kesa is very underrated, I've had a guy tap to it. I've turned people's face purple, and I've heard neckbones start popping. Sure you can sweep your way out of it, but get a good Judo guy to lock one in and settle down into it and you're fucked.

I liek the cushion variant were you put your leg under his neck

Jeez- how is kesa considered a "weak" pin??

It's gotta be one of the most powerful pins out there...

Jeez- how is kesa considered a "weak" pin??

It's gotta be one of the most powerful pins out there...

It's definitely one of the hardest to get out of once its on. You can hold someone almost indefinitely in it if he's wearing a gi. It's not the easiest to do a sub out of though, as you have to give up major control to do so (unless your opponent is thoughtful enough to do something silly) - ie as soon as you release the arm trap a smart opponent will pull his elbow in, at which point he's either going to get to his knees or roll you over, depending upon your reaction.

As for Smith and Yoshida fighting ... didn't realize they had a masters (as in old guys) division in MMA. No disrespect for Yoshida, who was a gold medal winner in '92, but he's 40 pounds overweight and way too old. As is Smith :icon_sad:

every breath you do manage jsut gives you less space for the lungs to draw another breath.

lucky for Mo that Yoshida dosn't have big sweaty hairy man boobs like my mate who pwns me if he gets a pin ):

I don't know why everybody is hailing it as a neck cranck. Even if it's applied properly it puts such an immense amount of pressure on your chest that you wouldn't even care about your neck. My old coach used to do it to me all the time, and forced me to try and work out of it. He (not nessessarily all judoka though) used the part that seems like a neck crank to drive his body deeped into my sternum and ribs. Heck even Mo said his neck wasn't being hurt all that much in a post-fight interview.

...just my two cents.

oh, so you're not directly tapping to pressure from bending the neck? sweet, that means i can technically apply this in class!

to be sure we all have the same visual, this is what we are all talking about(?)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfOxZn4lkao&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfOxZn4lkao&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

for me, if i ever get pinned kesa gatame would be the easiest to get out of... and thats like the only one i can get out of. shrimp and roll

If a guy like Roger or PDP wants to tap you with the knee on belly he will do it. It comes to weight difference, experience etc.

If you can get out of Kesa Gatame easily, the person applying the pin either 1.) does not know how to apply it properly, or 2.) is significantly out-weighed by you.

i was under the impression that in japanese that was a "eh" sound, as opposed to "ay"

no one going to comment about the vid?

Mark Coleman used to use it to sub people WAY back in the early UFC's. It's an awesome controlling technique and can be a NASTY neck crank.

I remember telling a few buddies while watching a UFC event how the head-and-arm position is rarely seen in MMA - Lo and behold Jon Fitch slides into head&arm before I was even finished my sentence :)

I feel it is very underrated, mostly because it's not properly applied in many cases which gives the appearance that it is easy to escape. Like many of you have said, a tight head-and-arm hold is a bitch to be under. One of my favorite holddowns.

I have no problems with Mo Smith, but IMO, that's what he gets for not standing with Rick Roufus.

Back