Practical Tai Chi and Wrestling sparring

UnshavenRaven

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Found a great example of Chen Taijiquan (Chen Style Tai Chi) methods for grappling.

The big guy in the video is about 240 pounds and practices Sambo and Greco.

The little dude is about 130 pounds, his name is Chen Ziqiang, and he's a lineage holder in the Chen Family Taiji (one of the older Taichi styles), and nephew of Chen Xiaowang.

(By the way, my video embedding skills suck, so it'd be awesome if someone could help me with that, lol.)

Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTP16HPFMms

Why doesnt he shoot him for a double?

It seems to me the technique are useful in very specific situations much like lots of other TMAs.

Found a great example of Chen Taijiquan (Chen Style Tai Chi) methods for grappling.

The little dude is about 130 pounds, his name is Chen Ziqiang, and he's a lineage holder in the Chen Family Taiji (one of the older Taichi styles), and nephew of Chen Xiaowang.

(By the way, my video embedding skills suck, so it'd be awesome if someone could help me with that, lol.)

Here's the link...

Looks interesting and plausible.

Probably staged though.

Would love to see some actual instructionals. I think Tai Chi and jiu jitsu share a bunch of principles whether or not BJJ guys want to accept that.

The big guy was more versed in Greco than freestyle, so I'm guessing he wanted to test the smaller dude in the clinch. Mr. Chen (the smaller dude) has a deceptively strong base. Rooting, structure and a strong base is heavily emphasized in most Tai Chi styles. He's an open minded guy and doesn't mind if they wanna shoot in for a double or not.

One should always be open to all martial arts. They all have something to offer as long as you have good instructors.

Peace

Thanks Calibur for the embed! Just so you know, Chen Ziqiang has a lot of videos on youtube where he does some friendly sparring with a lot of different people. He's been around for awhile.

By the way, if you've ever had a chance to train with Mr. Tim Cartmell of Ace JiuJitsu, he actually combines Wu Style Taiji with his BJJ. He spent 10 years training in China in his younger days. I believe "BudoJake" did a video interview with him on YouTube. He has some badass takedowns as well as a great ground game.

Peace

If u have 10-15 years to practice, I think it would be very useful.

I've practiced push hands with high level taiji practitioners; can attest to their skill. The vid looks pretty legit to me.

tai chi push hands competitions are basically a form of wrestling in of themselves, moving step specifically.

its kind of like mongolian wrestling or sumo in how victory goes to the one who makes the guy stumble and go out of bounds or touch ground besides with their feet.

i think those parameters are good for emphasising the fundamentals of wrestling in neutral.

par example.

i dunno man...some of those throws. I never hit the ground and kept rolling across the entire room from a throw.

Looks interesting and plausible.

Probably staged though.

Would love to see some actual instructionals. I think Tai Chi and jiu jitsu share a bunch of principles whether or not BJJ guys want to accept that.

I know i used to have some interesting tai chi instructionals on my computer. Ill have a look when i get home and if i still have them ill upload them.

i dunno man...some of those throws. I never hit the ground and kept rolling across the entire room from a throw.

Exactly. I understand falling explosively, but no grappler worth his salt would flail. Wrestlers have self respect.

That said, who knows. My stance is very similar to that tai chi guy's and people who aren't used to stand up with me (or stand up in general) can sometimes be thrown tossed backwards with me looking like I am making minimal effort.

Which is the only reason I'm giving this vid a chance.

The big guy seems like he's really hamming up those throws...

If only the bigger guy knew Systema, the outcome would have been very different.

Seriously though, that video was about as legit as the ones showing Aikido practitioners throwing 50 attackers across the room one after the other.

Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTP16HPFMms

People are seriously arguing that this could be plausible? The smaller guy pushes the big guy and he goes flying across the mat? You can see that he throws himself backwards ffs.

We might as well be discussing this:

[YT]AhkVC8bRJJs[/YT]

Hey, guys! I found this great video demonstrating how a Capoeira practitioner can easily deal with several street thugs at once...

Fake as hell.. lol. Big dude acting is terrible.

That big guy is no grappler, his cardio is bad also. Looks like a big, out of shape white belt.

If it was actually real it's not terrible, shows that it works against semi trained large opponent.

Unfortunately I fall in with the staged side. I've never in my life flailed like that as a result of a throw or takedown, it's just not realistic. Even if not strictly staged, some compliance with the master, aikido style, is surely in the picture.

I'm open to the idea that you could get some good handfighting techniques for the clinch out of it though.

Exactly. I understand falling explosively, but no grappler worth his salt would flail. Wrestlers have self respect.

That said, who knows. My stance is very similar to that tai chi guy's and people who aren't used to stand up with me (or stand up in general) can sometimes be thrown tossed backwards with me looking like I am making minimal effort.

Which is the only reason I'm giving this vid a chance.

dude, have you ever seen someon get thrown and roll on his side like 3~5 times? It looks fake as hell.

Back