Powerlifter vs Calisthenics Guy

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A while ago, these same guys made a video that pitted a powerlifter against a bodybuilder in a lifting competition.

This time, they've chosen a powerlifter and a guy with a ridiculous physique that does only calisthenics. They chose 4 exercises;

-bench - 100kg X 20

-ring pull ups - 40kg X 15

-ring dips - 40kg X 15

-squat - 90kg X 25

That's somewhat of an equal playing field as the powerlifter likely never touches rings and the calisthenics guy does not do barbell exercises.

[YT]Gx45nUETmIA[/YT]

For a guy who doesn't touch barbells, impressive strength. I'm curious how much of his lack of success here was the result of lack of motor pattern to the lifts specifically.

For a guy who doesn't touch barbells, impressive strength. I'm curious how much of his lack of success here was the result of lack of motor pattern to the lifts specifically.

I'm sure it was quite a bit. You could see he was nursing his shoulder in between sets. He's probably the most muscular calisthenics trainee I've ever seen. I would have liked to have seen him squat.

That powerlifter was a beast. I'd be willing to bet that he does pull ups and dips in his training, but doing it with rings is an entire different animal.

I'm sure it was quite a bit. You could see he was nursing his shoulder in between sets. He's probably the most muscular calisthenics trainee I've ever seen. I would have liked to have seen him squat.

That powerlifter was a beast. I'd be willing to bet that he does pull ups and dips in his training, but doing it with rings is an entire different animal.

That Hannibal for King dude is pretty jacked.
99c7266d343efb65ee946cb203425c56.jpg

There was a video back in the day of him showing Overeem and Rashad stuff at Blackzillians. Overeem was getting mad because he couldn't do a muscleup, if I remember right, haha.

Thanks for posting. These guys have made some enjoyable vs videos in the past. Glad to see this one.

That Hannibal for King dude is pretty jacked.
99c7266d343efb65ee946cb203425c56.jpg

There was a video back in the day of him showing Overeem and Rashad stuff at Blackzillians. Overeem was getting mad because he couldn't do a muscleup, if I remember right, haha.

Hannibal is a little manlet. This guy was 6'1 205 pounds.

I'm actually really surprised the calisthenics guy didn't do better with the dips and pullups - although in all fairness, I think the bench absolutely destroyed him.

In all seriousness, if they replaced the rings with normal pullup/dip bars, I think I could give a pretty good showing - the pullups would be the one thing I would probably struggle with.... that, and cardiovascular endurance.

Thanks for posting. These guys have made some enjoyable vs videos in the past. Glad to see this one.

Yeah, I like the channel. They also have this full squat mobility seminar which is pretty awesome, I picked up a lot of stuff from it.

[YT]58dkMblR9RM[/YT]

So what's the point of this thread?

It was a fun video. Would you rather we have another stupid crossfit thread?

Oh, snap!:icon_chee

Interesting video. I recall reading an article by an ex-con. He said that in prison there were basically two groups of cons who trained. One group trained exclusively with Free Weights and the other only did Body Weight exercises. Almost none of the cons did both, for some reason.

in my experience doing lot of bodyweight exercises will make you sore, imbalanced and slightly better at bodyweight exercises, while lifting weights will make you bigger, stronger and also better at bodyweight exercises if you so choose to partake in them.

One of the "new" trends in Fitness/Strength Training at the moment is something called High Frequency Training. This basically means starting with very low reps of a Body Weight Exercise and adding one rep every day. This is done alongside Weight Training, not to replace it.

To be honest, the only potential benefit I see, and this is yet to be conclusively proven, is that high rep BW exercises can strengthen the tendons and thus help prevent tendinitis that can sometimes result from high volume weight training.

Cool vid. The bench fried that dude though. If you're not used to handling weights, it's a whole different ball game. Big shock to the guys system and the technique as well just wasn't there. I wanted to see him squat lol. Do these calisthenics guys even workout their legs?

I think it partly speaks to the difference between training for something that involves particular equipment, and training only with particular equipment.

A powerlifter can use any equipment he thinks will make him a better powerlifter. Some of the guys I train with are capable of impressive calisthenic feats, like one arm chins, flags, some very heavy pull-ups or dips. One guy can do an iron cross. Pull-ups and dips are pretty typical assistance exercises. (And, IMO, push-ups are a good supplementary exercise for shoulder health for powerlifters).

Whereas if you define your training by only doing callisthenics, then you've limited yourself to what you can use in training. But if someone were say, a gymnast, then they would have specific goals involving bodyweight movements, but would be free to use whatever equipment he thought would make him a better gymnast, which can well include basic barbell lifts.

I think it partly speaks to the difference between training for something that involves particular equipment, and training only with particular equipment.

A powerlifter can use any equipment he thinks will make him a better powerlifter. Some of the guys I train with are capable of impressive calisthenic feats, like one arm chins, flags, some very heavy pull-ups or dips. One guy can do an iron cross. Pull-ups and dips are pretty typical assistance exercises. (And, IMO, push-ups are a good supplementary exercise for shoulder health for powerlifters).

Whereas if you define your training by only doing callisthenics, then you've limited yourself to what you can use in training. But if someone were say, a gymnast, then they would have specific goals involving bodyweight movements, but would be free to use whatever equipment he thought would make him a better gymnast, which can well include basic barbell lifts.

I agree.

I see it as one training for a particular goal (building strength) while the other training with particular equipment ( bars and sheeeit).

When training for a goal, one is likely to use numerous methods and types of equipment to reach said goal. While the other is limited by the equipment that they have at their disposal.

Back