Powerball Winners Call It A Curse

200m after taxes? In would invest that and live off of the profits, while reinvesting half, taking care of real friends and family, and would start a lot of charity work. Because off of 200m you can net a good 6m a years

Of any possible curse to have, I'll take the "problems due to winning millions" one.

My dad told me about a prank his work friends played on a guy that was getting married. They bought him a lottery ticket (they all play lottery pools together) and had a recording of those being the winning numbers that night and played it for him during his bachelor party... they told him "I bet you can't wait to tell your fiance!" He's like "Fiance? **ck that slag I'm rich now!" (I'm paraphrasing)... Imagine how bad you'll feel after you find out it was all a prank, and you still have to marry her the next day.

I can see how it would ruin marriages and family relationships though.. Hard not to have a wondering eye when you're mega rich and can get (almost) anything/anyone you want. Family/Friends will probably want money, if you give some they will want more, or hear that another got more, or be mad they got less, rinse and repeat til you're broke or hated.

reminds me of this:

"SHUT UP BRO!"

Yeah! Why the fuck would an average ass educated professional want millions of dollars? Poor toothless fucks only play the lotto. Fucking dollar & a dream morons.

They should waste their welfare on slots.

lol. Money doesn't buy happiness or make life perfect by any means, but give me a few million+ any day and I'll make do just fine.

i wouldn't have a problem.
i rarely take phone calls even now. from anybody. never had facebook. friends dont think i exist because i rarely show up to their parties and events.
i would be the perfect person to win the jackpot.

A lot of lottery corps. make you accept in front of media. I would tell them: "you put in front of media and I will make you look bad and tell people not to play your lottery".

I would definitely move, and live quietly (like I do now). Most of my friends have money and don't live in my immediate area, so that's not a problem. My family would not ask me for money (and I have good evidence of that).

Well I do suppose you need to consider that playing lotto is the least rewarding type of gambling (in terms of return) so it is unsurprising that those who win aren't exactly great at money managment.

A lot of lottery corps. make you accept in front of media. I would tell them: "you put in front of media and I will make you look bad and tell people not to play your lottery".

No one would take your word for it. They'd see you, the guy who won the big big big money, and assume you're telling them not to play because you want less competition.

Well I do suppose you need to consider that playing lotto is the least rewarding type of gambling (in terms of return) so it is unsurprising that those who win aren't exactly great at money managment.

The odds are horrendous, however it is life changing money. Spending a dollar or two a week (e.g. money that doesn't matter to you) isn't THAT stupid.

The odds are horrendous, however it is life changing money. Spending a dollar or two a week (e.g. money that doesn't matter to you) isn't THAT stupid.

I get what you are saying and I do play it occasionally myself, BUT Ive seen people who spend like $50+ a week on it, and odds on that is the kind of person who wins.

I'd rather go out with a bang and blow a ton of money, then be broke and miserable my entire life, just scraping by. YOLO

Personally, I think I could handle it, but often the winners come from a socioeconomic background that makes it much more difficult. I also think they should be given more privacy and should have an option whether they remain anonymous or not. The winnings should also be lump sum and tax free like in other countries. Regardless, I'd still say that this is one of those good problems.

edit - didnt see above ^^^

Do you have to go public in America? I'd stay anonymous if I won millions here at home, putting a target on your head going public
There are 6 states where one can remain anonymous (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH, SC). The article also said that New Jersey was considering allowing winners to remain anonymous for a year so they can adjust accordingly.

People who play the lotto tend to be of lower intelligence, so it should come as no surprise that it goes to shit when they come into big money.