Powerball Winners Call It A Curse

$400 million is completely inconceivable to the average person. I honestly can't blame someone who is used to their $15-$20 an hour wage losing their shit when they win a sum like that. I like to think I'd be somewhat smart with a big lotto win, but I can't say for sure.

ESPN's 30 for 30 "Broke" was a good look into something like this. People don't care when you're broke. When you have a ton of money though, everyone is your friend or loved one and will go to ridiculous lengths to get something. A couple players in that documentary talked of fucking family members emotionally blackmailing them. It's insane.

I'd probably not answer my phone for a year if i won a powerball sized jackpot.

I'd be found in less than a year floating face down in a pool od'd on coke.

Well, that's the thing. Is Betty absolute scum or is she just the average person who has the chance to make an extra 1.5 million with a simple lie. Obviously it's terrible, and obviously it is wrong. But how many people would do it? If you could tell one lie for 1.5 million, who would do it? I know I wouldn't, but lots of people would.

Telling one lie=\= stealing an incredibly large sum of money from a long-time friend. But you're right, plenty of people would in that situation. Especially pathetic because you'd already be guaranteed riches. Surrending your dignity, and essentially soul in the process, for some extra really represents the lesser side of human nature.

You gotta have the right mindset and mind frame to handle that much money

Pay of all my family's debt, leave them a few hundred k each and spend the rest on blow.

Travel, travel, travel. And season tickets to UK games.

I'm already a private person so I don't think I would fall into those traps.

I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life though.

People who play the lottery are generally the lower crust and weak minded.

It figures that they would not know how to deal with actually winning.

The curse was their own intelligence, gullibility and stupidity.

Yep. Anyone watch your local news channel when they show the lines for a big powerball? Do you see on average well educated lawyers, engineers, accountants in line? Some(most) of the people that win are morons.

Since I don't really don't play I haven't researched on how to stay anonymous, but I think I read you can't basically setup a trust and have a lawyer or accountant accept the check on behalf of the trust so your name isn't released.

If you win you got to stay anonymous, plain and simple.

Yep. Anyone watch your local news channel when they show the lines for a big powerball? Do you see on average well educated lawyers, engineers, accountants in line? Some(most) of the people that win are morons.

Yeah! Why the fuck would an average ass educated professional want millions of dollars? Poor toothless fucks only play the lotto. Fucking dollar & a dream morons.

Yeah! Why the fuck would an average ass educated professional want millions of dollars? Poor toothless fucks only play the lotto. Fucking dollar & a dream morons.

It's not that intelligent professionals don't want millions, it's that they know the odds are ridiculously against them and they'll almost certainly never win any significant amount of money and instead get sucked into playing every week and wasting many thousands of dollars over the years for nothing.

So yeah, despite your sarcasm, dollar and a dream morons, indeed. Obviously plenty of people with money play lotto, but come on, more often who is the guy who takes 20 fucking minutes in front of you at the gas station/7-11/bodega buying 500 lotto tickets, the guy with the shirt and tie of the guy with grease-stained fingernails?

I'd be fine with it. I'd give family a small one time sum. Maybe like 10,000 each. So like maybe 100,000 grand. You shouldn't just give people a lot of money, it can destroy their souls. And keeping them on the dole will also destroy their soul. Jealousy will lead to resentment, resentment to hate. I would help out with medical bills though if someone got seriously ill and was going to lose their home or something.

After that I'd put the majority of it in small risk investments. Just bank accounts with a small interest and such. Guaranteed investments that hopefully just keep pace with inflation. I don't know enough about stocks to feel comfortable just whipping out 100 mil to invest in something.

Then I'd open a small business and try and grow it with its own profits, so I get into the business slowly and don't just flush massive amounts down the drain if my business fails.

I'd probably live in Colorado. Nice snowboarding, nice weed laws, nice state. I'd travel and live small. Nobody would know I had wealth. I would try mushrooms and auyasca. Just enjoy life and chill out. I would Work hard, but for myself and family. A person should do something with their lives, even if it's just getting good at a strange hobby. Doing nothing destroys man. I'm not religious but essentially believe "An idle mind is the devil's playground."

Last edited:
$400 million is completely inconceivable to the average person. I honestly can't blame someone who is used to their $15-$20 an hour wage losing their shit when they win a sum like that. I like to think I'd be somewhat smart with a big lotto win, but I can't say for sure.

ESPN's 30 for 30 "Broke" was a good look into something like this. People don't care when you're broke. When you have a ton of money though, everyone is your friend or loved one and will go to ridiculous lengths to get something. A couple players in that documentary talked of fucking family members emotionally blackmailing them. It's insane.

That Broke documentary thing should be shown to everyone that comes into money suddenly. Powerball winners, rookie pro athletes, anyone who didn't earn their cash by their own shrewd business means.

Some quick cliffs, there were examples of dads - the guy's fucking father - taking a percentage of his son's signing bonus as a manager. The son found out later he was already given a straight million by the NFL the dad never told the son about. Literally everyone who ever met the player would ask them for money, and when the giant signing bonus was gone, they'd be down to much, much smaller monthly/weekly payments that would support small communities. You had/have NFL players living paycheck to paycheck because of all these people. Add in keeping up with the Jonses, making it rain at da club, gold diggers, Jesus, it's a fucking shit show.

My personal favorite was the high priced lawyer given 500k to take to the IRS who was never heard from again. Guess who was in deep shit with the government anyway?

I buy one ticket when the pot gets insanely high, but not weekly, figure my odds of winning are the same with one ticket as 100.

These people are idiots. Curse my ass. Your are just to dumb to deal with it.