Power Lifting VS Circuit Training

I'm at the 10 month mark with SL 5x5, I'd like to change to a new program.

I've recently become interested in Barbell Circuit Training, but am still a little noobish on the matter. It's basically Crossfit with proper form, and measured forward progression right?
So, not CrossFit? Progression and periodization mean you're not training randomness!

Anyway, it seems your question could use it's own thread, or maybe the 'Beginner questions' thread. Why do you want to change from SL? Are you still progressing? 10 months is a long time to be on a beginner program.

Guess I should have just said I'm doing SL, you're right though I'm no longer on 5x5. To be honest I'm curious to see the kind of results I'll get.

I forgot to mention that I don't plan on stopping SL until I hit the one year mark, I just wanted to try something new after the year is up.

Also could you guys recommend some proven Barbell Circuit programs? My goal is to work on strength, and conditioning all in one training session.

I believe Randy Couture has a lot of barbell circuit programs you can find online. I found one here. I think he has other ones as well.

I'm at the 10 month mark with SL 5x5, I'd like to change to a new program.

I've recently become interested in Barbell Circuit Training, but am still a little noobish on the matter. It's basically Crossfit with proper form, and measured forward progression right?

Also could you guys recommend some proven Barbell Circuit programs? My goal is to work on strength, and conditioning all in one training session. Sorry to derail you TS but I don't think my question needed a new thread.

Google Javorek's complexes. He built power, endurance and mass in his athletes. He's the original, everyone else is just a pale imitation.

Power Lifting with explosive low rep strength or endurance based circuit training where you jump from one move to the other?

http://www.exercisebiology.com/inde...ircuit_training_increase_strength_and_muscle/

What were the results?

• Surprisingly, with just 35 sec rest, circuit training group had similar power, strength increase compared to the traditional training group.
• There was an a decrease in body fat and an increase in body fat in both groups. The decrease in body fat was only significant in the circuit training group though.
• Both groups improved in aerobic and anaerobic tests

Practical considerations
• Circuit training with heavier loads can increase strength and muscle similar to traditional routines.
• Circuit training can cut your workout time by almost half.

I would say do the one that you would ejoy the most and keep progressing with the weight. You can always do 6-10 rep circuit training and get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
It is not an either/or scenario. You can PL 2-3 times a week and do circuits a couple of times a week on off days. Or you can do traditional training with complexes at the end of each workout. A great deal of variety exists in programming possibilities.

Back