Power fist lead or weak fist lead?

Sax MMA said:
5% of me doesnt want to answer as you confused me right from the start

I assume you were referring to my post. There is only one sentence that didn't belong, Oscar's performance in big matches.
I made no absolute statements. Is this what confused you? On the surface the statements may be conflicting. That is fine, as for I did not intend to make generalisations propagating only one argument.

why do you want your back hand to be your dominant hand? because more power can get generated from the rear hand. it is easier to learn how to punch with your dominant hand and so it is easier to deliver a ko blow (which is ultimately the aim of any striking). the front hand is generally used to set up that knockout punch with less powerful strikes that are quicker and expose the defences of the puncher less.

a clear argument there is that if it is possible to generate more power with the rear hand , why not have your weaker hand at the back to compensate for its inherent lack of power and the strong hand in the front to allow quick placement of those powerful strikes? becus it takes a long time to develop ko power in ur front hand and an even longer time to develop ko power in ur non-dominant rear hand. for this reason, if a boxer is very experienced he is able to pull of switching stances or fighting with a dominant lead hand effectively, but if he is not, he only handicaps himself further.

also, fighting orthodox and fighting southpaw require different strategies.

if one has been training orthodox for 6 months before having decent technique and has been sparring for 6 months , then to switch will require at least as long to develop the same technique in the non-dominant hand and a similar length of time to develop and figure out applicable strategies in the new stance.

so basically, its just plain old not worth the effort.

why do you want your back hand to be your dominant hand? because more power can get generated from the rear hand. it is easier to learn how to punch with your dominant hand and so it is easier to deliver a ko blow (which is ultimately the aim of any striking). the front hand is generally used to set up that knockout punch with less powerful strikes that are quicker and expose the defences of the puncher less.

a clear argument there is that if it is possible to generate more power with the rear hand , why not have your weaker hand at the back to compensate for its inherent lack of power and the strong hand in the front to allow quick placement of those powerful strikes? becus it takes a long time to develop ko power in ur front hand and an even longer time to develop ko power in ur non-dominant rear hand. for this reason, if a boxer is very experienced he is able to pull of switching stances or fighting with a dominant lead hand effectively, but if he is not, he only handicaps himself further.

Forgive me, but isn't the orthodox boxer's left hook the punch more statistically likely than any other to achieve a KO?

Boxing gloves dont take away power .With gloves you can throw MORE powerful puches since you dont have to worry about breaking your hands. Gloves where invented to protect the hands.

Wrong. You listen to interviews from Ray Mercer and James Toney and they both agree that they hit much harder with MMA gloves. Ray said he felt like he could KO a polar bear.

Is it 0.5%?

I switch it up sometimes. Like if a southpaw is drilling me with inside leg kicks I will switch and throw lead hooks followed up by straight lefts. I have little experience in southpaw so I will use it sometimes but I like to have my power hand chambered if I'm not going to utilize takedowns.

its a tradeoff like most things in life

as power fist ahead you get, killer lead hook, great jab. But your cross and rear hook/upper suffer. I personally like being a southpaw with my right hand being forward.

Personal Preference.

its a tradeoff like most things in life

as power fist ahead you get, killer lead hook, great jab. But your cross and rear hook/upper suffer. I personally like being a southpaw with my right hand being forward.

Personal Preference.

That's because your most important punches come from your lead like your Left Jab and right hook. Rightys will usually go southpaw because they don't know how to use their lefts which i totally think you may have done which isn't good because now your power punches are going to be a lot softer. Its what I used to do for a month because I was frustrated how much harder i hit with my right when i was southpaw... Work on your left Everyday all day

That's because your most important punches come from your lead like your Left Jab and right hook. Rightys will usually go southpaw because they don't know how to use their lefts which i totally think you may have done which isn't good because now your power punches are going to be a lot softer. Its what I used to do for a month because I was frustrated how much harder i hit with my right when i was southpaw... Work on your left Everyday all day

I do it for a few reasons

Southpaw's have advantage

My left kick is better

I'm pretty ambidextrous. can play sports with both hands (in hockey i used a straight blade stick to i can flip hands going down the ice, lol use to fuck goalies up so bad) So I still have a really good cross and rear uppercut.

With that said. Even if my left hand hit like a girl. Its not big deal. Just drill it, over, and over. If a right handed person can have a good left hook. Why can't a right handed person have a good left cross etc?

My left kick is better

I'm pretty ambidextrous. can play sports with both hands (in hockey i used a straight blade stick to i can flip hands going down the ice, lol use to fuck goalies up so bad) So I still have a really good cross and rear uppercut.

With that said. Even if my left hand hit like a girl. Its not big deal. Just drill it, over, and over. If a right handed person can have a good left hook. Why can't a right handed person have a good left cross etc?

You just pretty much summed up what I Said, work on your left that style shows you're a one handed fighter and thats bad... real bad

You just pretty much summed up what I Said, work on your left that style shows you're a one handed fighter and thats bad... real bad

Technically right handed fighters in the traditional stance are more one handed fighters then converted south paws....

Think about it....You have your strong hand in the strong position...and your weak hand in the weak position...making it even more lopsided.

Where as a converted southpaw distributes his power. plus if your more grappling orientated (like me) its a huge bonus to be in your normal grappling stance.

Honestly your argument makes no sense. Rich Franklin, Jarome Le banner are 2 examples of converted southpaws that can knock you the fuck out with their left. Power is technical, train your cross it will get good. Just like a left hook on a orthodox fighter.

Ambidexterity is ideal for any martial artist, I believe.

I actually led with my power hand because I didn't initially know how to punch with my left hand. Through that however, I became proficient getting my weaker arm to use the rotational force of my hips/body to deliver straight punches and hooks, so my southpaw was effective for me, though I could switch which hand was back.

Now, after a car accident has predominantly rendered my right arm useless, I now lead with my left, and put it to the back when I want power punches.

-

It's an Effective method, I found (using your Power hand as lead). It's easy to remember to bring it back/snap it out.

Really they don't have any innate advantage, but do have one major biological weakness. You are leading with your liver.

That "advantage" is just that people are not sure how to fight them, becuase they spend so much more time fighting orthodox opponents.

Technically right handed fighters in the traditional stance are more one handed fighters then converted south paws....

Think about it....You have your strong hand in the strong position...and your weak hand in the weak position...making it even more lopsided.

Where as a converted southpaw distributes his power. plus if your more grappling orientated (like me) its a huge bonus to be in your normal grappling stance.

Honestly your argument makes no sense. Rich Franklin, Jarome Le banner are 2 examples of converted southpaws that can knock you the fuck out with their left. Power is technical, train your cross it will get good. Just like a left hook on a orthodox fighter.

128854160831018247.jpg

Back