Power Exercises = Looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Wendler in his 5/3/1 book states that one should "Train like a Bodybuilder. Whenever I say that people run for cover. But what does a Bodybuilder train for? Not size or strength but balance. So if you train your chest, train your back. If you train for strength and power, make sure you work your conditioning as well."

Where are all these weak bodybuilders?? Does anyone have proof that these huge guys can only lift light weights?

Besides whenever I browse bodybuilding.com theyre routines are very similar to the things people do here. A lot of it is semantics

e.g push/pull/squat for them is chest, triceps/back, biceps/legs etc.

I agree. I only know a couple of true bodybulders and they are far from weak. I also really respect them because of the discipline it takes to diet like they do. The average "broseph" in the gym is annoying and will claim to be a bodybuilder, but do not confuse them with a true bodybuilder.

I watch clips from 'Pumping Iron' to get me in the mood to lift all the time. Ronnie Coleman clips too.

Bodybuilders (natural or not) are far from pussies. It is the average *** doing a poorly thought out bb split and lifting like a vag. and curling in the squat rack that piss people off here.

I have noticed two things at my gym:
  1. All the glamour boys have nice duds and usually wear a tight wife beater that really shows off the guns.
  2. Many of the guys can incline press more than me, and almost all of them can curl more than me.
I am not worried about #1, since I am married and will not be getting any more pussy in this life. But I'm working on #2, because that kind of pisses me off.

I think what you are trying to get at is if you perform mainly the core compound exercises, and don't have an excessive amount of body fat, will you look beastly. The answer is yes.

A lot of people think (particularly here) you need to eat excessively to be strong. This is not the case. As long as you've got surplus calories you can gain muscle and keep fat at a minimum. You don't have to be fat to be strong, you can only gain a 1-3lbs of muscle a month (cleanly).

That's why a lot of strong guys don't look cut, because diet isn't so important as it is the body builders.

I agree with alot of this. I will say you do need a substantial amount of protein in order to grow muscle but that simply means you need to make each and every calorie count so you can get your protein and keep your calorie count in check.
Also a calorie is not a calorie, my understanding is that your body takes more energy to digest protein so it makes sense you could still eat a marginally higher amount of calories if a greater ratio are proteins.

Also since matter is not created or destroyed its simply transferred, we are (literally) what we eat. Better that be beef than doritos :)

Where are all these weak bodybuilders?? Does anyone have proof that these huge guys can only lift light weights?

Besides whenever I browse bodybuilding.com theyre routines are very similar to the things people do here. A lot of it is semantics

e.g push/pull/squat for them is chest, triceps/back, biceps/legs etc.

Jay Cutler, Mr. Olympia, is supposedly relatively weak. I've read somewhere that he can only deadlift 405lbs with straps for a set of 6 or 8. Now that's really not that bad, but he can't pull nearly as much as a lot of other bodybuilders. Cutler seems to be one of the few exceptions, a lot of bodybuilders start out with powerlifting.

Jim Wendler in his 5/3/1 book states that one should "Train like a Bodybuilder. Whenever I say that people run for cover. But what does a Bodybuilder train for? Not size or strength but balance. So if you train your chest, train your back. If you train for strength and power, make sure you work your conditioning as well."

Double posting be damned you guys are really laying some truth down in this thread. Lol there is alot to be said about the above quote. Plus bb's know a SHIT TON about how the body works and how to bust plateaus. Plus the best bb's are extremely methodical, ocd really because gaining mass and acheiving balance are more complex and fickle endeavors imo because the body recognizes the value of getting stronger and responds better than gaining mass for its own sake. Add their diet in there and you got some pretty dedicated, cerebral dudes...too bad they use their powers for evil and not good lol.

Anyway, I wanted to 2nd the "pumping iron" recommendation though arnold talking about cumming and lifting is well creepy.

And your sig is great btw templar fucking classic

Jay Cutler, Mr. Olympia, is supposedly relatively weak. I've read somewhere that he can only deadlift 405lbs with straps for a set of 6 or 8. Now that's really not that bad, but he can't pull nearly as much as a lot of other bodybuilders. Cutler seems to be one of the few exceptions, a lot of bodybuilders start out with powerlifting.

No, for a 300-pound guy who's making hundreds of thousands of dollars solely due to the fact that he looks like he could tear apart an engine block with his bare hands, 405 x 6-8 with straps is not bad. It's fucking terrible.

pretty sure a novice starting at 135# could achieve a 405# deadlift with a solid run or 2 on starting strength. so, yes, it is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back