Power Drills for Punching off the back leg?

GoatyP

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Had another stupid eureka moment yesterday. I've been re-learning how to throw MT/boxing punches and finally found that sweet spot for punching off the rear leg. I have no problems throwing quick combinations while stationary but my forward movement is very slow.

Any tips/drills to make my movement faster and more fluid? I feel like my rear leg is stiff and I have trouble pushing off of it to move forward.

Try stepping forward with your lead foot while slipping to your rear side, then slide your rear foot forward without moving the weight more than necessary. You can exaggerate it at first to enhance the feel of the weight in your hip.

A drill my coach has guys do when they start getting that down is 1, 1-2. Get in your stance, push off your back foot and take a small step with your lead foot to jab. Pull the lead foot back and sink weight onto your rear foot, then step forward with a 1-2. It should feel like a very explosive push with that back leg each time you go forward.

Then do it off a pivot to your left (assuming you're orthodox). Pivot, and at the end of that movement drop your weight onto your right foot, step forward with a jab (keep the weight on the back foot) then throw the 2 as you step with the rear foot and sink some weight back down onto that leg as it lands. Digging into the ground with your rear foot just as it finishes swinging around is the hard part.

Also, a video might help.

Had another stupid eureka moment yesterday. I've been re-learning how to throw MT/boxing punches and finally found that sweet spot for punching off the rear leg. I have no problems throwing quick combinations while stationary but my forward movement is very slow.

Any tips/drills to make my movement faster and more fluid? I feel like my rear leg is stiff and I have trouble pushing off of it to move forward.

Do not think that your rear leg has to move the rest of your body as if it were dead weight. It should feel "as if" every muscle cell in your body, even the ones behind your eyes:rolleyes:, are "springing" forward as a wholesome unit

Step out while lowering your hips. Makes it a lot easier. The lowering of the hips helps pop that lead leg out and the back leg recovers easier. Think of the same movement of when you step into the jab just don't throw the jab.

word... thanks for the tips. i need to step forward more.

Back