Povetkin vs Whyte 2 Nov.21st

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Sep 15, 2020.

1. MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

2. SakurabasEar Hype-Train Bum

Ugh, well i guess. Im never a fan of rematch contracts with no belt on the line but it is what it is. Lets see who catches the other first

RabbitPunch36 and Blake_UK like this.
  3. defjaam Kubrat Pulev Belt

I agree, it makes no sense from a competition standpoint... Just give the guy that is good for your business as many as chances as necessary to make things right. Imagine this type of arbitrariness in the NBA, NFL, etc.

But that's what you get with meatheads like Eddie Hearn.

Blake_UK and SakurabasEar like this.
  4. Pirroh Black Belt

Kinda quick return from the knockout, no?

bunt and PHATV like this.
  5. SandisLL Brown Belt

that's better, for Povetkin might be easier to beat him.
    Better Whyte had been matched with Fury quickly, if he is cotender, should fight with current champ not Povetkin.

6. RDL81 Purple Belt

What’s ur view on three wilder vs fury fights?

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  7. SandisLL Brown Belt

Fury is beautiful. He better had next fight with Whyte if he is supposed cotender than 3 rd match with Wilder. boring.

8. defjaam Kubrat Pulev Belt

There was a belt on the line each time (which was the point of the comment I agreed with, maybe you overlooked that part).... In additon to that both men were undefeated each time, a controversial first fight, and people demanding those fights.

Plenty of reasons for a rematch and rubber match.

SakurabasEar likes this.
  9. RDL81 Purple Belt

I see no reason for the 3rd fight and I am not sure there is much demand for it from non wilder fans. When the top heavyweights are fighting so infrequently I think a third fight just holds things up.

as for the whyte rematch I guess it’s fine if it happens in 2020 but if it’s was going to be in 6-9 months time again I don’t see the point of it.

Whyte might not have taken the fight if the rematch clause wasn’t in the contract

RabbitPunch36, PUO3 and Jonny Ninja like this.
  10. ccm22 Green Belt

How is it that an old guy like Povetkin can get back in the ring 3 months after a tough fight, but some of these younger guys only fight once a year?

11. RDL81 Purple Belt

I know I am going to get blasted as a whyte fan but......povetkin has effectively been constructed to be a top top heavyweight within Russia. He is a proper athlete with access to all top facilities (and at some points supplements) this is a guy who in a 15 year career has only lost to two unified champions, and many think wlad only won through cheating. Just look at his first fights as a pro I don’t think many fighters have had a tougher introduction to the pro ranks.

yes he is coming to the end of his career but he is still a technically sound boxing and is clearly professional so I am not that surprised he wants the rematch as soon as possible. He is thinking if he wins again he can land a top fight in first half of 2021

xavion and ccm22 like this.
  12. Jonny Ninja Black Belt

I’m not gonna pay for this one unless the undercard looks competitive. If Whyte doesn’t get him out fairly early I think he’ll get caught again. Left hook or overhand right this time
    This is 50/50 for me

HardasNAILZ and RDL81 like this.
  13. Jonny Ninja Black Belt

I don’t really like rematches either unless they were really tight or controversial. However, what better hw fights are going to take place before Xmas? It’s a good fight!

14. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Boy thats a quick turnaround time from having your lights put out. Credit to him for wanting to run it back so soon though.

HardasNAILZ, PHATV and Jonny Ninja like this.
  15. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Wilder fan (most the time anyway) checking in. Id rather him fight someone else and earn another crack at Fury. Not a fan of immediate rematches without extreme controversy.

16. RDL81 Purple Belt

I would have been ok with the third fight if the 2nd one was closer and / or if these guys fought more often. I would much rather see wilder vs AJ or fury vs AJ than a third fight

17. DeJulez Silver Belt

Yea imagine playing the same team 7 times in the NBA or MLB only to go to the next round and play that team 7 times just to go to the Finals.
    Theres been teams that have been up 3-1 only to lose 3 in a row and lose the series 3-4.
    So a rematch for a guy whose been waiting for his shot for two years doesnt seem that bad.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  18. cocksure Silver Belt

Eddie's getting his guy paid, again. I bet Dillian is amassing quite the nest egg.

19. defjaam Kubrat Pulev Belt

The reasons he's been waiting for so long is just due to another arbitrariness in the sport of boxing. You can't logicallly explain it to someone who's used to more structure from other sports.

DeJulez likes this.
  20. Mr2urbo Brown Belt

Rematch clause should be void if a fighter either gets dominated or gets viciously ko’d.