Opinion POTWR 2019 Vol 18: Post Your Favorite Works Of Art

If you could be the world's greatest, which medium of expression would you choose?

• Total voters
Please see my edit.

I saw it man, my post stands. I am with you on this one, it's disgusting how we turn places inside out for 'modern' crap. I'm sorry, even though I have nothing to do with it, I still feel responsible in some fucked up sense.

But I am glad that painting elicited a good response of emotions.

Nighthawks

I have a hard time describing why this is my favorite of all time, but I am drawn to it, and have been for quite some time. Seeing the real painting in Chicago was really something for me.

Here's the soundtrack for it. From his album "Nighthawks at the Diner".

The-Suicide-Machines-Destruction-by-Definition-Cover-Art.jpg

I dont know if this counts as art or not but I have this framed on the wall in my kitchen and i do enjoy looking at it and the feelings emotions and memories that it stirs .

Im not very cultured im afraid

At the risk of sounding like a complete buffon;

It's almost like the simplicity, and the clean simple depiction of the painting excavates deep seated memories from my life into the the scene. Four people, seated closely, yet they appear to be strangers. There is one waiter, and 3 people who's relationships are ambiguous. The area outside is dark, but not cold, yet the inside emits a type of warmth that you can almost feel, as the light spills out slightly onto the concrete outside. I see the diner as an island in this sense, and the view we have of the diner could almost be from somebody crossing the street. If you notice, the glass is almost not even there on the diner, as if it was see through. We do not see the door into the diner in the painting, which adds to a certain level of mystery.

Honestly, I think I've gone enough into detail, and I'm still not scratching the surface. It just resonates with me. And I feel that a lot of the best artwork and those that we love just captures an emotion that we can't put a finger on, and that's what makes it special.
Just to add on to it, the painting has a lot of contradictions that draw people to it. It captures a sense of personal isolation that permeates big cities: a brightly lit cafe open in the middle of the dark night, well dressed strangers finding themselves in the only place open an empty city, a diner that doesn't seem to serve food. The cafe has an aquarium-like quality that makes the customers seem both observed and trapped, while they surround the server, whom is also trapped behind the counter, which might be commentary on modern urban life.

Architecutre for sure. It's the Art that everyone has to live with.

1. Dance
  2. Film
  3. Literature
  4. Music
  5. Painting
  6. Photography
  7. Poetry
  8. Scultpture
  9. Singing
  10. Stand-up Comedy
  11. Theatere
They an all be ignored mostly. Architecture is the most important style of art.

Nighthawks

I have a hard time describing why this is my favorite of all time, but I am drawn to it, and have been for quite some time. Seeing the real painting in Chicago was really something for me.
Hopper is probably my favourite painter of all time. (not that I know anything about art)

He's probably my favourite because I heard this stunning women describe his life.

Back