Opinion POTWR 2019 Vol 18: Post Your Favorite Works Of Art

If you could be the world's greatest, which medium of expression would you choose?

• Total voters
The backstory behind the Sistine Chapel is surreal too. There's just nobody that could ever possibly fuck with this dude as the ultimate all-round visual arts virtuoso and that's about as close to an objective fact in art as there could be.

Yea, Michelangelo is either the GOAT artist or he's definitely Top 3 all time. I don't know who could fuck with him because I'm not heavily into art history but I do recognize his utter greatness. Leonardo da Vinci was an incredible artist but he focused on other things as well like inventions. His human anatomy drawings were so ahead of their time they are still shown and studied in med schools. He risked his life to pay grave-robbers for fresh corpses and he would dissect them and make detailed drawings of the human body. This was incredibly illegal and punishable by death. At one point Leonardo had a higher understanding of the inner workings of the human body than any doctor on Earth. Then you have guys like Van Gogh who is obviously a big name.

As far as painting I would be interested to know what you think of the Renaissance painter known as Rafael. The guy must have been the original Prince the musician, because he was simply known as Rafael. He died when he was 37 but he left a large body of work and some of his work is in the Vatican today.

raphael-school-of-athens1.jpg

Disputation+over+the+Most+Holy+Sacrament.jpg

Raffaello_Sanzio_Raphael_RAS005.jpg

The%20Vision%20of%20Ezekiel.jpg

Yea, Michelangelo is either the GOAT artist or he's definitely Top 3 all time. I don't know who could fuck with him because I'm not heavily into art history but I do recognize his utter greatness. Leonardo da Vinci was an incredible artist but he focused on other things as well like inventions. His human anatomy drawings were so ahead of their time they are still shown and studied in med schools. He risked his life to pay grave-robbers for fresh corpses and he would dissect them and make detailed drawings of the human body. This was incredibly illegal and punishable by death. At one point Leonardo had a higher understanding of the inner workings of the human body than any doctor on Earth. Then you have guys like Van Gogh who is obviously a big name.

As far as painting I would be interested to know what you think of the Renaissance painter known as Rafael. The guy must have been the original Prince the musician, because he was simply known as Rafael. He died when he was 37 but he left a large body of work and some of his work is in the Vatican today.

raphael-school-of-athens1.jpg

Disputation+over+the+Most+Holy+Sacrament.jpg

Raffaello_Sanzio_Raphael_RAS005.jpg

The%20Vision%20of%20Ezekiel.jpg

I think the entry below quite accurate sums up Michelangelo. And yeah man, I featured Raphael in the OP of the art thread I linked in here. One of the awesome things about the "School of Athens" piece is that at least two dozen historical figures from Ancient Greece are identifiable. I've always looked at Da Vinci as an extraordinary polymath and Michelangelo a pure visual artist. My favorite painter specifically is probably Caravaggio.

Michelangelo (6 March 1475–18 February 1564) was an Italian sculptor, painter and architect of the High Renaissance who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western Art. Considered by many the greatest artist of all time, his versatility was of such a high order that he is often considered the archetypal Renaissance Man along with his rival, the fellow Florentine Leonardo da Vinci. In his lifetime, Michelangelo was often called Il Divino ("The Divine One") and a number of his works of sculpture, painting and architecture rank among the most famous in existence.

He sculpted two of his best-known works, the Pietà and David, before the age of thirty. Despite holding a low opinion of painting, he also created two of the most influential frescoes in the history of Western Art: the scenes from Genesis on the Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, and The Last Judgment on its altar wall. His design of the Laurentian Library pioneered Mannerist architecture. At the age of 74, he took over as the architect of St. Peter's Basilica.

Michelangelo was the first Western artist whose biography was published while he was alive. In fact, two biographies were published during his lifetime. One of them, by Giorgio Vasari, proposed that Michelangelo's work transcended that of any artist living or dead, and was supreme in not one art alone but in all three. Michelangelo's impassioned, highly personal style resulted in Mannerism, the next major movement in Western art after the High Renaissance.[1][2][3]

I think the entry below quite accurate sums up Michelangelo. And yeah man, I featured Raphael in the OP of the art thread I linked in here. One of the awesome things about the "School of Athens" piece is that at least two dozen historical figures from Ancient Greece are identifiable. I've always looked at Da Vinci as an extraordinary polymath and Michelangelo a pure visual artist. My favorite painter specifically is probably Caravaggio.

Michelangelo (6 March 1475–18 February 1564) was an Italian sculptor, painter and architect of the High Renaissance who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western Art. Considered by many the greatest artist of all time, his versatility was of such a high order that he is often considered the archetypal Renaissance Man along with his rival, the fellow Florentine Leonardo da Vinci. In his lifetime, Michelangelo was often called Il Divino ("The Divine One") and a number of his works of sculpture, painting and architecture rank among the most famous in existence.

He sculpted two of his best-known works, the Pietà and David, before the age of thirty. Despite holding a low opinion of painting, he also created two of the most influential frescoes in the history of Western Art: the scenes from Genesis on the Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, and The Last Judgment on its altar wall. His design of the Laurentian Library pioneered Mannerist architecture. At the age of 74, he took over as the architect of St. Peter's Basilica.

Michelangelo was the first Western artist whose biography was published while he was alive. In fact, two biographies were published during his lifetime. One of them, by Giorgio Vasari, proposed that Michelangelo's work transcended that of any artist living or dead, and was supreme in not one art alone but in all three. Michelangelo's impassioned, highly personal style resulted in Mannerism, the next major movement in Western art after the High Renaissance.[1][2][3]

Absolutely, I have no argument with placing Michelangelo as the greatest artist of all time.

Lets switch gears a little bit and move forward to the 1600's. I recently watched a doc called Tim's Vermeer that was a fascinating look at the artist Johannes Vermeer who some consider one of the greatest painters of all time.

Some of his work.

The Girl with the Wine Glass, look at her face, I can almost hear the man flirting with her.
800px-Johannes_Vermeer_-_A_Lady_and_Two_Gentlemen_-_WGA24639.jpg

Girl with a Pearl Earring, and apparently there has been a long standing argument about whether or not there is an earring there at all.
800px-Meisje_met_de_parel.jpg

The Astronomer
800px-J._VERMEER_-_El_astr%C3%B3nomo_%28Museo_del_Louvre%2C_1688%29.jpg

Still don't really have time to source these, but here are some of mine:

Music:
Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict, Pink Floyd
Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
Tocatta and Fugue in D minor, JS Bach
Back in Black, AC/DC

Paint
Not my strong suit, anything by Botticelli or Michelangelo

Architecture
The Uffizi (The Office) Gallery,
1535628023172289-tribuna-3-.jpg

Literature
The Foundation Series, Asimov

Mathematics
The Elements, Euler
Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, Kurt Godel

Disclaimer
None of the above is anything more than an example so please, no what about this or that person or object or field.

I mean, there's an enormous amount of beautiful art. I've seen the major pieces in Italy, along with all the architecture. There's quite a bit in New York, at MOMA, etc. I saw an Islamic art show at the Philadelphia Museum of Art that had some of the most beautiful pieces I've seen.

But here's one in particular that I've always really liked. It's at the American Visionary in Baltimore. The piece itself is beautiful, more so in person than in the picture. But it's really the story behind it that makes it one of my favorite pieces.

The artist is unknown. He was staying in a mental hospital, suffering from Turburculosis (the concave chest). One day while on his daily walk he asked if he could chop down a dead tree to make a sculpture. They allowed it, even though it was typically against the rules to allow a patient to have a sharp object. This is what he created, a self-portrait:

Recovery-unknown-artist-Courtesy-of-the-American-Visionary-Arts-Museum-Baltimore.ppm

It's the only piece the man, in his 30's, ever made in the hospital. They have no evidence to suggest he ever made any other art. He committed suicide two years later.

I guess the idea of a man creating one great piece of art, which lives on in a museum without even having his name attached to it, is fascinating. He never intended to sell it, it was not created for notoriety, it was just part of his recovery.

Last edited:
I mean, there's an enormous amount of beautiful art. I've seen the major pieces in Italy, along with all the architecture. There's quite a bit in New York, at MOMA, etc. I saw an Islamic art show at the Philadelphia Museum of Art that had some of the most beautiful pieces I've seen.

But here's one in particular that I've always really liked. It's at the American Visionary in Baltimore. The piece itself is beautiful, more so in person than in the picture. But it's really the story behind it that makes it one of my favorite pieces.

The artist is unknown. He was staying in a mental hospital, suffering from Turburculosis (the concave chest). One day while on his daily walk he asked if he could chop down a dead tree to make a sculpture. They allowed it, even though it was typically against the rules to allow a patient to have a sharp object. This is what he created, a self-portrait:

Recovery-unknown-artist-Courtesy-of-the-American-Visionary-Arts-Museum-Baltimore.ppm

It's the only piece the man, in his 30's, ever made in the hospital. They have no evidence to suggest he ever made any other art. He committed suicide two years later.

I guess the idea of a man creating one great piece of art, which lives on in a museum without even having his name attached to it, is fascinating. He never intended to sell it, it was not created for notoriety, it was just part of his recovery.
I have a friend who became too ill to stay in her job and started painting again, resuming from when she was quite young. She's not interested in getting rich or famous from her art, but she seems to really want to get her work out into the world so it will survive her. She's a pretty special person.

I have a friend who became too ill to stay in her job and started painting again, resuming from when she was quite young. She's not interested in getting rich or famous from her art, but she seems to really want to get her work out into the world so it will survive her. She's a pretty special person.

Does she have kids?

Does she have kids?
Yes, but now she and the spousal unit are empty nesters. They're used to having shittons of people around on top of everything, and ironically there are times she doesn't wan't to be around people.

Their kids are their pride and joy, don't get me wrong, but she's incredibly humble and this helps her feel recognized without being imposing about it. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, but now she and the spousal unit are empty nesters. They're used to having shittons of people around on top of everything, and ironically there are times she doesn't wan't to be around people.

I just asked because often people have the motive to do something that will last beyond their own mortality. Kids usually deliver that.

Nighthawks

I have a hard time describing why this is my favorite of all time, but I am drawn to it, and have been for quite some time. Seeing the real painting in Chicago was really something for me.

Nighthawks

I have a hard time describing why this is my favorite of all time, but I am drawn to it, and have been for quite some time. Seeing the real painting in Chicago was really something for me.

I'd really like to see you try. This is an absolutely mediocre painting in terms of technique, of what's depicted, and still I can somehow understand what fascinates you about it.

Sort of reminds me of;

By my favorite artist Edward Hopper who also drew my favorite piece I posted in this thread (Nighthawks)
I'm a real sucker for impressionism generally, and impressionist sunsets specifically. Something about Hassam's work just burrowed into my art brain.

I'd really like to see you try. This is an absolutely mediocre painting in terms of technique, of what's depicted, and still I can somehow understand what fascinates you about it.

At the risk of sounding like a complete buffon;

It's almost like the simplicity, and the clean simple depiction of the painting excavates deep seated memories from my life into the the scene. Four people, seated closely, yet they appear to be strangers. There is one waiter, and 3 people who's relationships are ambiguous. The area outside is dark, but not cold, yet the inside emits a type of warmth that you can almost feel, as the light spills out slightly onto the concrete outside. I see the diner as an island in this sense, and the view we have of the diner could almost be from somebody crossing the street. If you notice, the glass is almost not even there on the diner, as if it was see through. We do not see the door into the diner in the painting, which adds to a certain level of mystery.

Honestly, I think I've gone enough into detail, and I'm still not scratching the surface. It just resonates with me. And I feel that a lot of the best artwork and those that we love just captures an emotion that we can't put a finger on, and that's what makes it special.

Nighthawks

Thanks* a fuck of a lot for reminding me that Johnny's Mayfair Tea Room, adorned in mahogany and brass throughout, that smelled of pipe tobacco, which invariably comes to mind whenever I see this picture, seared forever into my memory on a single day 40 years ago, is lost to the dust of time and replaced with a beer garden for hipsters and posers.

Somebody gimme a fuckin' magic wand.

I actually mean that completely honestly. Thank you.

Thanks a fuck of a lot for reminding me that Johnny's Mayfair Tea Room, adorned in mahogany and brass throughout, that smelled of pipe tobacco, which invariably comes to mind whenever I see this picture, seared forever into my memory on a single day 40 years ago, is lost to the dust of time and replaced with a beer garden for hipsters and posers.

Somebody gimme a fuckin' magic wand.

I apologize for my generation. I am truly sorry.

Back