1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Law POTWR 2019 Vol 17: Do Environmental Concerns Add Urgency To Legalizing Marijuana?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Cubo de Sangre, Sep 16, 2019.

?

Would you purchase lesser quality marijuana in order to protect the environment?

1. No, because I don't buy weed

26.3%
  2. No, because I want the best I can get

26.3%
  3. Yes, if I were a buyer

21.1%
  4. Yes, if I know the source is behaving ecologically

10.5%
  5. Maybe, depending on differences in price and quality

15.8%
  1. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Greetings War Room Sherbros,

Welcome to the next installment of the Presidential sticky-threads. This time let's cover an important aspect of the green revolution (a.k.a. legalizing weed). As a longtime proponent of ending prohibition, I'll admit to never giving any real thought to the associated environmental concerns. There seems to be three main components. One is the damage done by illegal grow sites, another is the gross inefficiency of indoor cultivation, and the third is the sheer size of the industry. While there are many, here's two articles dealing with the subject.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-marijuana-environment-idUSKCN1BJ13W

http://www.geocurrents.info/place/n...struction-marijuana-cultivation-united-states

It's clear to me that it's time for federal change, since the best way to combat poor practices is to pass legislation that allows for regulation. Not to mention how criminality drives growers indoors. Clearly the users are not showing any environmental concerns when selecting which product to purchase. Maybe an ad campaign within the industry would help? We also need prices to be lower than what the black market will provide, so as to drive people to outlets dealing in responsibly grown marijuana. Not sure if that's a tax-holiday or capping profit-margins.

What do you think? When it comes to this subject, does protecting the environment shift your view? If so, what should be done?

Cheers,

Cubo

PS. Due to unforeseen time constraints, the remaining threads will be up for one week instead of two.

***This is an ongoing series of sticky-threads that will take on various topics in varying ways. If you're interested in leading a discussion on something please take a look at this thread and then send me a PM with your ideas.

POTWR 2019 Vol 1: Shots Fired! Examining Police Shootings In America
    POTWR 2019 Vol 2: Happy Happy Joy Joy
    POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America
    POTWR 2019 Vol 4: Repeal Or Respect The 2nd Amendment?
    POTWR 2019 Vol 5: Based On Known Facts, Would You Remove Trump From Office?
    POTWR 2019 Vol 6: Internet Security Basics
    POTWR 2019 Vol 7: Change My Mind That The Word "Platform" Is Orwellian
    POTWR 2019 Vol 8: Should The Right To Keep And Bear Arms Be An International Human Right?
    POTWR 2019 Vol 9: Is Social Media Access Damaging To Our Youth?

POTWR 2019 Vol 10: What Do You Like About The War Room And What Would You Change?
    POTWR 2019 Vol 11: Can We All Test For Ourselves That The Earth Is Round?

POTWR 2019 Vol 12: What Role Should Schools Play In Raising Our Children?

POTWR 2019 Vol 13: Why Not Support The Military Industrial Complex?
    POTWR 2019 Vol 14: Was The Unabomber Also The Zodiac And Tylenol Killers?

POTWR 2019 Vol 15: Post Your Favorite Politically Incorrect Comedy Clips Or Jokes
    POTWR 2019 Vol 16: What Will You Bring To The War Room BBQ?

JDragon and MusterX like this.
  2. trident

trident Water Belt

The cartel grows are really fucking things up in California's vast countryside.

Indoor growing should be banned imo. It just seems retarded as we approach full legalization. It's a sun loving plant. Give it the sun.

Taking it out of the black market would do wonders for parks. They've been militarized in places, the insecticides are often banned and get into the whole food chain, water is diverted and the land is too vast to adequately patrol.

You think of the damage making this plant illegal has done over the 85 years of prohibition. Its amazing how these decisions made so long ago just stick with us.

3. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Steel Belt

You grow better stuff indoors, though. It's easier to control variables and ensure strict conditions that you want to create. I'd rather not have to spray hundreds of plants with Mightywash, and have to worry about powdery mildew or botrytis, among other factors.

4. trident

trident Water Belt

I dont think so.

Outdoor in soil under the sun ftw

tonni and Crazy Diamond like this.
  5. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

6. hillelslovak87

I can simulate the sun indoors, without pests, and mess with the light to change conditions for my pot as I see fit. Outdoor shit is always more scraggly, and hardly ever has close to the sticky spongy feel that good OG strains, for example, get indoors.

7. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

My view has always been the same, it never should have been illegal to being with. Humans have been using substances to alter their consciousness for thousands of years. The war on drugs has been a colossal failure. How did we end up with a situation where alcohol, one of the most devastating drugs is sold on every corner and something like marijuana is illegal. Its insanity.

8. trident

trident Water Belt

I can elaborate. I think outdoor is harder to do well. But when done well is significantly better than indoor. Yeah you can keep a clinical state but I think the final product shows that having grown the same strain both ways.

Also indoor isnt free of bugs and mildew and botrytis. Outdoor requires more attention but you can feed them better per unit produced. Once you get past the 123 indoor hydro products you are paying money and if you are going large you are feeding to waste so you arent spending on anything but that crappy ass 123.

Even when I did indoor I grew in peat etc and used only top notch ingredients. But that was 10+ years ago and the market doesnt allow that kind of investment into an indoor product now.

With outdoor you can build a healthy soil feed with tea every other week, spray weekly with serenade and just pray a cloud of grasshoppers doesnt shred your shit.

But you make it to the end and the plants (strain depending) should be able to muster through and provide a much more grounded and long lasting affect and be relatively free of bud rot (theres always some damn September rain!)

I even have lab tests showing the difference between the two.

But i understand the benefits of indoor, I just dont like the energy expenditure and being locked into cheap ingredients due to regulation and market prices.

Anyway that was another life ago. I'm on to better things ....

Edit to clean up typos

9. Cubo de Sangre

From my experience the indoor growers are also susceptible to issues. From the first article in the OP.

10. JamesRussler

JamesRussler You can call me Jimmy Double Yellow Card

I'm really more of a coffee guy

Lead likes this.
  11. BudKing8806

BudKing8806 Brown Belt

I want the best quality. The shit should be legal nationwide so people can grow their own. I can destroy my liver with alcohol but I can't smoke weed? What the fuck?

12. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

So that's what they're calling it these days....

(Lol j/k)

JamesRussler likes this.
  13. Cubo de Sangre

You can't be BudKing without it.

HeLLMuTT and BudKing8806 like this.
  14. jamel

jamel Brown Belt

Do i want to strip soil of its nutrients from herb or corn?

Decisions Decisions...

15. hillelslovak87

I can see your view, even though it's wrong. ;)

The organic foods I used in teas weren't too expensive, nor were the bacterias I used in mixture to prevent mites, mildew etc. I've grown outdoor and indoor in different conditions, and I gotta say, the best stuff I grew was last year indoors. All organic with tagro soil? Sheeeeeeeit. Literally, sheeeeit. In the specific area of WA, goddamn, did we have mildew though. No matter what I sprayed, be it the ole peroxide/epsom mixture, actinovate, neem, green foliage pro, it always came back. Yet, still, our OG, XXX OG 1 and 2, C&C2 and Sunset Sherbert are still hands down the best pot I've smoked.

Oh, and shit, I know about that September rain. We got massive mold on our Bubba 76, Kimbo Kush, Plat GSC, etc etc that were growing outdoor. Our place had 4 indoor rooms, 2 greenhouses and a good amount of area outdoors that I tilled and grew a few CDB strains on, along with the formentioned ones above. Fuuuuuck that.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  16. hillelslovak87

I will in no way argue against that. I just found it easier, myself, for the most part.

Crazy Diamond and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  17. Cubo de Sangre

Can't argue it's easier to control indoors. Or that indoor weed is better aesthetically when smoking bud. But all the extracts, baked goods, etc. don't need to look pretty. And it seems like a large portion of the market is heading in that direction.

Here's where maybe Hawaii could help itself out. Legalize the shit and enjoy year-round outdoor growing. It'll easily be a mult-billion dollar export. Unlike electricity, the sun is free. Less overhead. Shipping is more, but I'd think the large scale would work out.

Crazy Diamond and hillelslovak87 like this.
  18. hillelslovak87

Agreed. Before my boss fucked us over, we were basically gonna be using our best bud for pre rolls (most pre rolls are shit, trim) with some in gram, eighth and half oz packs, with most all of the popcorn buds and trim into the oil. We had some fantastic Cheesequake and OG oils, I've never dabbed anything smoother.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  19. Cubo de Sangre

You sure make my job sound shitty. But it least the ol' direct deposit is like clockwork.

What do you think about greenhouses? More like an indoor environment but the plants are grown with sunlight.

20. hillelslovak87

Oh, it's a stressful job. I was going 80-90 hour work weeks, every weekend, holiday, etc. Lifting, bending over, dirty, etc. It's for pot though, so you find it hard to bitch in any way (not that this stopped any coworkers from being lazy douchebags).

I grew in greenhouses, it's not bad. You can still control the environment and get sun. I just found that for my style of growing, indoor growing let me control more variables. But then again, our genetics were top notch, so the greenhouse stuff looked nearly identical to our indoor stuff. I was the first person hired, and when I got there, they had like 30 RB Kush, Gorilla Glue/GG1, Orange Kush and a few other strains like a week into bloom, with nobody watering them in the greenhouses. The previous crew just bailed. Shit was in terrible shape when I started watering, but I rehabbed the plants and even they produced some pretty great pot. I wouldn't be adverse to growing in a GH again.

JDragon and Cubo de Sangre like this.