Crime POTWR 2019 Vol 14: Was The Unabomber Also The Zodiac And Tylenol Killers?

Which Zodiac suspect would you put your money on?

• Ross Sullivan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Gaikowski "GYKE" or "GAIK"

• Rick Marshall

• Lawrence Kane

• MR. X

• Bruce Davis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Greetings War Room Sherbros,

Welcome to the next installment of the Presidential sticky-threads. Instead of something socio-political, this one is just good old-fashioned true crime. I'm sure everyone on this board has heard of the three cases in question. After a nearly 20 year criminal career, the Unabomber was ultimately identified as Theodore J. Kaczynski. The other two crime-sprees have never been solved.

The Zodiac murders are like America's Jack The Ripper. A killer who taunts police and captures the imagination of amateur sleuths for decades after the crimes. There are a number of prime suspects, all with their pluses and minuses. Of particular interest to me is Ted K. While there isn't any direct evidence linking him to the killings, there's an abundance of circumstance and coincidence that makes him impossible to simply dismiss.

As for the Tylenol murders, where someone in the early 1980's poisoned people with cyanide, there's far less to go on than with the other two cases. However there is one amazing coincidence that ties all three together. If what's in the spoiler doesn't peak your interest then I don't know there's any evidence to be presented that would get you to entertain the possibility.

The information being presented is all sourced from http://www.zodiackillersite.com/index.php. These maps are from this thread. One is of the Zodiac crimes in relation to Ted's house in Berkeley, where he lived at the time of the murders. The other is where bottles of Tylenol were tampered with and their relation to Ted's parents' house in Illinois. In fairness, there was no identified Zodiac crime at Mt. Diablo. However he claimed a bomb was planted there and sent in a map with his symbol over that exact spot. So I don't think it's a stretch to include that location for this purpose.

tumblr_p3rotjMgjs1wkxkwyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p3rot4K3ap1wkxkwyo1_1280.jpg

Beyond the maps, there's quite a bit similarity in styles between the Unabomber (who we know for a fact was Ted) and Zodiac.

For simplicity I'll just quote the list from halfway down the page.

* Kacsynski lived in the SF Bay area during the time of most of the confirmed Zodiac murders. He was a professor at the University of California Berkeley from 1967 until the summer of 1969. It is said at the Zodiac Killer website (without any supporting evidence presented) that Ted K was out of the State of California on several dates of Zodiac activity. This is false.

* Kaczynski's attorney said he could not provide any alibi dates for Zodiac murder and mailing dates, starting with Bates in 1966 and going to the 1974 letters, and also including the Santa Barbara murders in 1963 and the Swindle murders in 1964. Not that he would not, but that he could not.

* Both Zodiac and Kaczynski were ruthless killers, highly intelligent and interested in and expert at bombs and codes.

* Both made references to opera, literature and Norse myths.

* Both demanded their words be published on the front pages of newspapers on penalty of death for innocents if not done.

* Both threatened to bomb mass transit.

* Both left drawings of crossed lines inside circles at crime scenes.

* Both used crossed lines inside circles as signatures.

* Both sent taunting messages to police and family members of victims.

* Both usually used excessive postage, often double postage.

* Both wrote checkmark "r" 's, three stroke "k" 's, five stroke "m" 's and had many other handwriting matches.

* Both commented on the bounty put on their head.

* Both were filled with hatred and a desire for revenge against society.

* Both owned and used Winchester .22 Super X ammo.

* Both had guns with flashlights attached to the barrel.

* Kaczynski shot a man at a mining site with a rifle - Zodiac threatened to shoot school kids on a bus with a rifle

* Both had an unusual walk - Officer Fouke said the man he saw at the Stine crime scene walked with a "lumbering gait...a semi-limp", a girl at Lake Berryessa observed that a man watching them who may have been the Zodiac "favored one leg over the other", and David Kaczynski said his brother Ted was "noticably pigeon-toed" and that it "affected the way he walked".

* Both had knowledge of Deer Lodge, Montana. Zodiac said he escaped from the prison in Deer Lodge, Montana. And weeks earlier Ted had just driven through this same area with his brother. It made such an impression on him that he bought a cabin there.

* Zodiac taunted police, hinted he shot SFPD Officer Radetich and most importantly attacked and killed couples in known love making spots; Kaczynski recorded a desire in his journal to kill "police", "college students", "promiscuous" women and men and "noisy" love making "couples" in September of 1966.

Is it possible Ted was inspired by the Zodiac killings and copied much of it for his own criminal endeavors? Sure. But Ted's a verified genius with a 167 IQ. Everything about Ted's adult life suggests he was a man with his own ideas and unusual personality. He thought of himself as a visionary. It makes little sense that he lacked the imagination to create his own style and criminal signatures. What does make sense is if you view his Unabomber persona as an evolution from his time as The Zodiac. Looking at it that way, here's what I see as the basic outline of events.

Ted graduated Harvard in 1962, after enrolling at an early age. Awkward to begin with, he was a subject of mind-control experiments being conducted there at the time. This helped warp his personality even further. Later he went to graduate school in Michigan. At one point he was so sexually confused and frustrated that he spoke with someone about a sex-change. Here's what he said about that in his journal.

In fact, Ted was psycho-sexually troubled in the manner of most serial killers. And keeping in mind Zodiac, who killed COUPLES in spots known for making out/love making, what Ted reports drove him to "madness" (his own words) was the sound of the U of M hockey players having sex with their girlfriends in the apartments next to him.

Ted described his "acute sexual starvation" and fantasies of being a woman.

In the summer of 1966, most likely late August/early September 1966, Ted Kaczynski records a break through moment in his life. He is a genius, yet socially alienated and isolated. He decribes hearing the sound of couples having sex in the apartment next door to his, and he says it fills him with frustration and anger. Out of despair and self described "acute sexual starvation", he records in his journal that instead of killing himself he will "really kill everyone I hate."

The people he says he hates and wants to kill are many, but they include two distinct groups. One group is what he calls "bigshots" or "government officials", and these include "scientists", "big businessmen", "politicians" and "police".

The other group of people he hated and wanted to kill included love making "couples", "rowdy college students" and those college men and women he deems "promiscuous". He calls promiscuous women "animals" and "pigs".Look at the government psychiatric report on Kaczynski done after he was arrested for the Unabomber crimes:

In the summer after his fourth year [of graduate school, the summer of 1966], he describes experiencing a period of several weeks where he was sexually excited nearly all the time and was fantasizing himself as a woman and being unable to obtain any sexual relief. He decided to make an effort to have a sex change operation. When he returned to the University of Michigan [most likely in late August or early September 1966] he made an appointment to see a psychiatrist to be examined to determine if the sex change would be good for him. He claimed that by putting on an act he could con the psychiatrist into thinking him suitable for a feminine role even though his motive was exclusively erotic. As he was sitting in the waiting room, he turned completely against the idea of the operation and thus, when he saw the doctor, instead claimed he was depressed about the possibility of being drafted. He describes the following:

"As I walked away from the building afterwards, I felt disgusted about what my uncontrolled sexual cravings had almost led me to do and I felt humiliated, and I violently hated the psychiatrist. Just then there came a major turning point in my life. Like a Phoenix, I burst from the ashes of my despair to a glorious new hope. I thought I wanted to kill that psychiatrist because the future looked utterly empty to me. I felt I wouldn't care if I died. And so I said to myself why not really kill the psychiatrist and anyone else whom I hate. What is important is not the words that ran through my mind but the way I felt about them. What was entirely new was the fact that I really felt I could kill someone. My very hopelessness had liberated me because I no longer cared about death. I no longer cared about consequences and I said to myself that I really could break out of my rut in life an do things that were daring, irresponsible or criminal." [Psych Report] {Emphasis added}

That happened sometime in the summer of 1966, most likely in late August/early September 1966. Probably mere days later, on or around September 3, 1966, bombs go off at the suburban Chicago house of Elmwood Park Mayor Elmer Conti and at a glass company on Paulina St. in Chicago. On October 30, 1966, when evidence shows Ted Kaczynski is in California, the first probable Zodiac crime, the murder of college student Cheri Jo Bates occurs.

His first confirmed Unabomber crime was in 1978, when he was 36 years old. Yet we know from research that the most active and violent period for the majority of serial killers is from their late teens to late twenties. And we see that Kaczynski reports the motivation, desire and ability to kill at least as early as the summer of 1966.

Shortly after Ted decides he wants to kill couples, the Zodiac murders begin. A few years later they stop, with a cab driver being the last confirmed victim. What's interesting here is this time there are multiple witnesses and the killer is almost caught by police. A sketch is released and the killer says he will no longer announce his deeds. The letters, however, continue on for a number of years. I think this is a period where Ted was scared straight.

In 1978, after about eight years of dormancy, the Unabomber's story begins. Interesting to note is that up until the end, the FBI was looking for a much younger man. Serial killers don't really start up in their mid-thirties. Also of note is that Zodiac threatened to plant bombs. One of his letters even had a diagram for one. So with a heightened fear of capture, Ted was inspired to become a distance-killer, and he used those years to develop his bomb-making skills.

Coincidentally, as the Unabomber, Ted took an extended break of six years (or thereabouts) right after he was spotted in Utah and a police sketch was circulated. He wasn't heard from again until after the high-profile bombings of the WTC in 1992 and the Oklahoma City bombing. Eventually captured after his brother recognized his writings in the Unabomber manifesto.

There's enough out there to write a book, so let me hit on a few other random comparisons that you might find of interest.

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=161&start=30

Kaczynski had a life long interest in, almost obsession with, crossed lines inside circles.

1. He signed a yearbook with his "mark" - crossed lines inside a circle.

2. He spent several years of graduate study and his PHD dissertation on the boundary functions of circles, in particular dealing with the unit circle, which looks like the Zodiac symbol.

3. At the campus of a Unabomber target, he spraypainted the Yggdrasil symbol, also known as the Algiz Rune, along with the letters "FC" and "Anarchy". The Anglo-Saxon translation of the Algiz Rune is "Z"! It consists of, once again, crossed lines inside a circle. The Yggdrasil is the World Tree, but it also stands for "tree of terror; gallows", and the Algiz Rune also means to "wound severely; to mark with blood."

kaczyn12.jpg

And a close up on his signature with the crossed lines inside a circle.

ted_ka14.jpg

Close up on Unit Circle, Zodiac Symbol and Unabomber Symbols

kaczyn15.jpg

http://zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=938&start=310

MARCELO: below are links of the letters "matrix" Ted K. of which "took" the "stuff" to construct the similar letter to Zodiac. (images below mentioned links)
happiness to all.
Marcelo
icon_e_wink.gif

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/750x970/documents/0812081unabomber1.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/750x970/documents/0812081unabomber2.gif
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/750x970/documents/0812081unabomber3.gif

[Left is TK, right is Zodiac.]
UNAZODI01.jpg

One line is Zodiac, one is TK. Can you tell which is which? Not only is TK's handwriting the most similar to Zodiac's, by far, in many cases it is virtually indistinguishable. Which line is Z, which line is TK?:
unazodproject.jpg

http://zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=938&start=310

Found in the Kaczynski cabin, it is a BLACK hood with rectangular eye slits.

p2BYpI.jpg

Compare it to the Zodiac black hood:
zodiac65.jpg
gBIOzJ.jpg

http://zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=51

This is believed to be a Zodiac letter. Could this be where Ted transforms or begins to mature? A foreshadowing of his crimes going from a sexually frustrated nature to a man making a statement against society?

citize11.jpg

The main issues with Ted as a suspect is the lack of connection with the Riverside killing in 1966 and never getting a DNA or fingerprint match. It's possible Ted was in Riverside because this was around the time he interviewed at Berkeley. It's also possible the killer claimed the Riverside murders in order to throw off police. Regarding physical evidence, it's not known for sure that the police have the actual fingerprints or DNA from Zodiac. So who knows?

I haven't addressed the Tylenol case and there's not much to say. Here's a quick list of what connects the cases.

https://www.investigationdiscovery....-unabomber-also-the-zodiac-the-tylenol-killer

• Kaczynski grew up in suburban Chicago and commenced his Unabomber campaign in 1978 from his parents’ home in Lombard, Illinois. He would later return to the residence to send out more bombs.
  • The only known Tylenol fatality to occur outside of Illinois happened in Sheridan, Wyoming, a town along the interstate that connects Chicago to where Kaczynski lived in Montana.
  • Potassium cyanide is plentiful in Montana due to the state’s gold mining and gold processing industries.
  • Between 1970 and 1982, Kaczynski upped his Unabomber game from individual targets to attempted mass murder. He built bombs intended to generate a multitude of indiscriminate casualties and placed them, respectively, on a crowded airliner, at the University of Utah, and UC Berkeley. None of the weapons successfully discharged.
  • Once again, forensic sketches of the Unabomber and the Tylenol Killer suspects do come off as strikingly related.

Thanks for your time and for fun I'll leave you with one last little coincidence. All of the letters of "The Zodiac" are in the name Theodore Kaczynski. :D

Cheers,

Cubo

***This is an ongoing series of sticky-threads that will take on various topics in varying ways. If you're interested in leading a discussion on something please take a look at this thread and then send me a PM with your ideas.

POTWR 2019 Vol 1: Shots Fired! Examining Police Shootings In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 2: Happy Happy Joy Joy
POTWR 2019 Vol 3: Examining Opioid Addiction In America
POTWR 2019 Vol 4: Repeal Or Respect The 2nd Amendment?
POTWR 2019 Vol 5: Based On Known Facts, Would You Remove Trump From Office?
POTWR 2019 Vol 6: Internet Security Basics
POTWR 2019 Vol 7: Change My Mind That The Word "Platform" Is Orwellian
POTWR 2019 Vol 8: Should The Right To Keep And Bear Arms Be An International Human Right?
POTWR 2019 Vol 9: Is Social Media Access Damaging To Our Youth?

POTWR 2019 Vol 10: What Do You Like About The War Room And What Would You Change?
POTWR 2019 Vol 11: Can We All Test For Ourselves That The Earth Is Round?

POTWR 2019 Vol 12: What Role Should Schools Play In Raising Our Children?

POTWR 2019 Vol 13: Why Not Support The Military Industrial Complex?

PS: The "click to expand" is acting wonky for me, so if you're not getting all of the text in the spoiler quotes try it again after refreshing.

I think this will be a fun topic. Thanks @Cubo de Sangre it is nice seeing something different, ill have to do some major reading here.

The unabomber was a brilliant mathematician who wanted to see all technology along with the institutions that promote it destroyed.

Sucks, but the guy hadda point.

If I had to guess (and I guess I do have to guess), I'd have put my money on George Hodel. But given this is obviously a bad guess, I'll have to do some reading...

Also of note around the same time were the notorious Zebra killings in and around SF.
The use of the letter "Z" and the grisly nature of the murders, although racially motivated against Whites,
suggested copy cat element.

Also in my hometown of Berkeley, the serial rapist "Stinky" went on a crime spree that lasted for some time.
In similar fashion to Harris 'helping' investigators of the Zebra killings, while being a prime suspect, Taylor attempted to
portray himself as helping investigators while also being the prime suspect. He was arrested but never charged with the
series of home invasion rapes, including that of carlolyn craven a journalist who had written stories about the case.

on some levels, he was peripherally linked to the Zebra clan but the connection was never solidified.
it was one of my first cases as an investigator.

and it was maddening.

Last edited:
Zodiac aside, there's a great case to be made for Ted having done the Tylenol tampering. I'd even say a better case. Click on the link for the full post. Lengthy, but worth it. Page down a few times to where it starts.

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1018

The primary weapon Kaczynski used in his crusade against the twentieth century was the home made bomb, either mailed to victims or placed at locations, to be detonated by the random person who picked it up. But there is no reason to think Kaczynski was limited only to bombs as a weapon. Kaczynski also committed burglaries, arson and industrial sabotage. He is also suspected of shooting a miner with a high powered rifle and using Strychnine poison to kill a neighbor's dogs. He built a gun out of spare parts and wood and wrote he intended to use it as a "homicide weapon". He wrote of a desire to kill regular people and "bigshots" by use of a "bomb or other means". In his journal that gave details of all of his Unabomber bombing crimes, he wrote that accounts of and evidence from other crimes had been either buried or burned because their revelation would be "dangerous", "embarassing" or "very bad public relations". So it seems fairly clear, by his own words, that he DID committ other crimes than just the Unabomber bombings. What were they?

As strange as it may seem, it is an undisputable fact the Kaczynski family home on N. Ridge St. in Lombard is at the exact epicenter of the Tylenol tampering sites. While not conclusive proof of anything, it is consistent with a theory that if Kaczynski was the Tylenol Killer he was intentionally or unintentionally giving a clue as to his location. This is in fact something that Kaczynski, intentionally or unintentionally, did in some of his Unabomber crimes.

Acting as the Unabomber, Kaczynski committed bombings in Auburn, Washington and Salt Lake City, Utah. If you were to draw a horizontal line from Auburn extending east, it would go through Lincoln, Montana where the Kaczynski cabin was located. And if you were to draw a vertical line from Salt Lake City extending north, it would again go through Lincoln, Montana. Thus there is evidence to support a theory that Kaczynski, acting as both the Unabomber and the Tylenol Killer, selected targets that were geographically aligned with his home location. We can only guess at the psychology of WHY he would give clues like this - whether it was to mock the FBI, engage in an intellectual game by giving clues, make it more exciting by increasing the sense of personal risk involved and/or out of a conscious or even a subconscious desire to get caught.

There may be a more practical explanation as well. While he owned and used cars throughout the seventies, it is thought that Kaczynski did not own a car in 1982. Though he sometimes borrowed family cars (including his brother David's Datsun) or rented a car, he usually took the bus to commit his bombings and mailing of bombs. Salt Lake City, Utah is a direct stop on the major highway bus route south from Lincoln, Montana. And the Chicago area tampering sites are all on a circuit of major roads that are bus routes. Looking at a map with the Chicago area sites marked, it is consistent with a person staying in Lombard using a bus (or car) to make a quick and direct journey to all the tampering sites.

Former FBI Special Agent and Serial Killer Profiler John Douglas on "Signature":

"The MO is basically the way the predator commits the crime -- if he uses a gun rather than a knife or lures prospective victims by putting his arm in a fake sling. While the MO tells us something about how he did it, the signature gives us some insight into why. The signature is a ritual, something the subject does intentionally for emotional satisfaction -- something that isn't necessary to perpetuate the crime. Evidence of torture is a signature. Posing -- displaying the victims in a certain way -- is a signature. Signature is a way of linking cases. Like a real signature, it's a personal detail that's unique to the individual.

Acting as the Unabomber, Theodore Kaczynski used a criminal signature utilizing NATURE themes such as water, ice, animals, hills, mountains and in particular TREES and WOOD. The NATURE, TREES and WOOD theme became a major focal point of the FBI investigation, as it was one of the few obvious clues Kaczynski left in his trail of bombings.

Of course many streets and cities have nature based names. So we might expect to find one or even two such names by pure coincidence. But for EVERY confirmed Tylenol location to have multiple Nature, Mountain, Water, Tree and Wood themes is beyond coincidence, and speaks clearly of intent and design. It seems that the Tylenol Killer had the same identical criminal signature as Ted Kaczynski - an obsession with selecting targets with Nature, Mountain, Water, Tree and Wood themes.

Why the probable ties to Wyoming or Montana? Because of the death of Jay Mitchell, age 19, of Sheridan, Wyoming, on July 26, 1982. The coroner reported he had the exact same level of Cyanide in his body as the Chicago area victims. Though he had no Tylenol in his body, it is known that the killer emptied all of the Tylenol product out of the poisoned capsules before he put in the cyanide. The victim's family states he did take Tylenol just before his death, and that it was probably purchased at the local Jewel-Osco outlet in Sheridan, which is located on I-90, right by the Wyoming - Montana border.

What is also interesting is that the highway bus route from the Kaczynski cabin in Lincoln, Montana to the Chicago area, I-90, happens to run right through Sheridan, Wyoming. In his journal Kaczynski mentioned not wanting to commit any major crimes in Montana because people might remember him riding the bus the day that a murder in the state happened. Kaczynski would note the results of his actual bombings to learn how to do it better. If he wanted to do a "test run" to see if the Cyanide filled Tylenol capsules actually worked, but wanted a victim outside the state of Montana, Sheridan Wyoming is the first town across the border on the way to Chicago on I-90. There was also a strange incident at a Howard Johnsons motel parking lot in suburban Chicago, right off the same I-90 freeway that links Montana to Wyoming to Chicago. On September 28, 1982, numerous boxes and bottles of Tylenol were found by two police officers, along with a pile of white powder. The officers got sick with moderately serious symptoms of Cyanide poisoning by skin contact. This may have been the spot where the Tylenol Killer filled many of the capsules with Cyanide, and it happened right off the I-90.

If the death of Jay Mitchell was the work of the Tylenol Killer, as seems highly likely, than the Tylenol Killer is likely to be an intelligent, angry anti-corporate technically skilled loner with ties to both the Chicago area and the Wyoming - Montana area. Kaczynski would clearly fit this profile.

With Johnson & Johnson spending tens of millions of dollars to buy and expand BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING companies, and fund RESEARCH at such companies, he may well have thought it would fit his goals to essentially sink or cripple the Johnson & Johnson Company. Or at least, as he often put it, "get my revenge on the technological society."

This article apppears in May 1982, and in late July 1982 we have the Tylenol Cyanide death of Jay Mitchell in Sheridan, Wyoming, just across the Montana border from where Ted Kaczynski lived.

And in September 1982 the Tylenol Murders cause a $100 Million direct loss to J & J because of the massive recall and huge drop in sales. The Tylenol Murders also caused a $1 Billion plunge in J & J stock. No doubt this financial disaster severely set back any future plans J & J had for buy and expanding biotech and genetic engineering companies, or funding their research.

And for fun...

CyanideTylenol.

Backwards it reads:

Lonelytedinayc.

Lonely Ted In a YC.

If his cabin were yellow this would be the smoking gun! :cool::D

I've always been amused by these theories, although I've never actually formed a solid opinion on them one way or the other. I will say though, I seriously doubt that Ted is the Zodiac killer. Can't quite put my finer on why, but it does seem to fit him.

I've always been amused by these theories, although I've never actually formed a solid opinion on them one way or the other. I will say though, I seriously doubt that Ted is the Zodiac killer. Can't quite put my finer on why, but it does seem to fit him.

It totally fits him. Ted was an organized and sexually-frustrated killer, who in 1966 wrote in his journal of his desire to kill couples. Though neither case contains any sexual element to the crimes. Zodiac sent letters threatening to start using bombs and a rifle. Later Ted used bombs and a rifle. Like Zodiac, Ted wrote letters to the press where he demanded to be published and threatened to bomb mas transit. Zodiac wrote ciphers. Ted had a book of codes and ciphers in his journals. Both used a circle with lines through it as a symbol and had a nature theme present in their crimes. That's a rare personality type, and during the Zodiac murders Ted lived at the center of the crime scenes. In broad strokes they're a perfect match.

Interesting stuff by experts. Bullet-points below, but by just reading those you lose the nuance of their reasoning and certainty.

Zodiac - Partial Profile:

White Male - 25 to 35 yrs old.

He was known to be a loner.

He was known to be obsessive compulsive. A place for everything and everything in it's place.

Primary intake sense - Visual.

Functioning - Extremely structured with sophistication.

Experienced with weapons and flashlight.

Probably had military training and was familiar with law enforcement techniques.

1st Primary motivator - Jealous Rage

2nd Primary motivator - Fame.

He is extremely familiar with the areas he's killed in.

He's a hunter and probably a fisherman.

He was known by others for his ciphering and probably bragged about it before his murder spree.

If he didn't die or end up in jail, he could have stopped killing because he met a significant other that met his emotional needs. Who meant more to him than fame, or stalking and killing. Similar to Gary Ridgeway, BTK, and the POI in GSK case.

He could have gotten married and may have had kids and grandchildren.

When he worked it was most likely in a visually structured, hands on job.

He has been seen and was known at Lake Berryessa over the years before the murders.

Geographically, he probably lived in an area that was in the middle of the first three attacks.

lol the cabin boy?
nah, not his style.
he's a remote guy.
from a distance.
there's symbolic, intrinsic significance to that.
stems from family alienation

lol the cabin boy?
nah, not his style.
he's a remote guy.
from a distance.
there's symbolic, intrinsic significance to that.
stems from family alienation

He's a rage killer who wrote in 1966 about wanting to kill couples because he was sexually inept. He turned into a distance guy upon being seen (and sketched) after the cabbie murder. Moved to the woods and laid dormant for 8 years. Then started following up on what he claimed he was going to do as Zodiac, plant bombs. Ted, as Unabomber, went into hiding for six years after being spotted and sketch released.

Also note that in the profile video above they say how he started off being primarily motivated by rage, then it became about the attention.

That aside, Tylenol is very similar to the bombings because it was random killings without any interest in witnessing the deaths occurring.

okay sure.
but sending mail bombs to specific individuals is highly personal.
the target and the execution are supremely significant.
the evolution of a psychopathic killer?
could be.

remember the registered nurse who was arrested and convicted of tampering with eye drops on the store shelves many years ago?
she put acid in them or something, out of malice or self-oathing, who knows.
she single handedly ushered in the 'tamper proof' packaging that is the standard today among personal hygiene products.

okay sure.
but sending mail bombs to specific individuals is highly personal.
the target and the execution are supremely significant.
the evolution of a psychopathic killer?
could be.

You're right that Ted sent bombs to specific targets, but not all. The airline bomb, the computer store parking lot, and one just left on a university campus come to mind.

https://www.investigationdiscovery....rst-date-shed-ever-been-on-with-the-unabomber

How did the FBI get involved in the Unabomber case?

[The first incidents had random targets], but after those, Kaczynski started targeting specific individuals. He targeted United Airlines and the President of United Airlines. The first cases I think went to ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives).

To be fair, I'll point out this lady worked the Tylenol case and doesn't believe it was Ted because there's a suspect she likes better and believes that killer was nowhere near as smart.

Even when Unabomber did target specific people it appears to be random in the sense they were targeted for their line of work, and within that framework they may have just had the wrong name (eg. James Hill, Percy Wood, LeRoy Wood Bearson).

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/unabomber

In search of clues, the team made every possible forensic examination of recovered bomb components and studied the lives of victims in minute detail. These efforts proved of little use in identifying the bomber, who took pains to leave no forensic evidence, building his bombs essentially from “scrap” materials available almost anywhere. And the victims, investigators later learned, were chosen randomly from library research.

Going back to Ted's signature of nature-themed names & addresses (especially wood), these are the founders of Johnson & Johnson.

Robert Wood Johnson
James Wood Johnson
Edward Mead Johnson

Speculation as to Ted's motives for targeting that company includes their announcement (a few months prior to the poisonings) to fund genetic research. Now look at the locations of the Tylenol tamperings.

Elk Grove Village (Grove mall)
Arlington Heights (Vail Street)
Schaumburg (Woodfield mall)
Winfield (Winfield Road)
Chicago (Walgreens drugstore at 1601N. Wells)
Wheaton (Butterfield Road)

"Heights" and "burg" can both refer to a hill or mountain. Vail is the name of a Mountain where the town in Colorado is.

You were a cop. Did you look at the maps in the OP? While not proof, you'd agree this is an amazing coincidence? The top is Ted's house in relation to the Zodiac crimes and the bottom is his parents' house in relation to the Tylenol locations.

tumblr_p3rotjMgjs1wkxkwyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p3rot4K3ap1wkxkwyo1_1280.jpg

Zodiac crimes took place at these locations.

Lake Herman Road
Lake Berryessa
Blue Rock Springs
Washington & Cherry (Was supposed to be Maple according to cab records and a Zodiac letter, but Cherry is still a tree so maybe Z told him to pull over there because nobody was around and it was good enough)

MO changes. The nature aspect of the signature remains the same.

Back