POTWR 2019 Vol 11: Can We All Test For Ourselves That The Earth Is Round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using high power optics while prone, specifically as flat to ground level as possible, possibly dig a hole so the optic is literally at ground level. Then in the same spot but from an elevated position, say 30' scissor lift. This would need to be done in an area that has a constant ground/sea level. Target would be a very bright visible small ball on the ground. After 1-2 miles the ball should disappear due curvature on the ground level optic but the 30' would visible for significantly longer.

I'm not sure what areas are perfectly constant level enough to do this. Salt flats, sea, ? Provided you can find a place it should be a pretty easy experiment.

I believe this has been done with ships out at sea, on beach vs hotel balcony. Balcony can see ships that disappear on ground.
This has been done at sea and what we find now, with the higher powered lenses that are available, is simply no curvature. There are landmarks, especially lighthouses that should be several feet, sometimes miles below the curve, yet they are clearly visible.

Is there a machine that can create gravity pulling towards a central core of a sphere while in a tank that creates it's own local atmosphere so our gravity, pressure, etc have no effect on it?

If so I'd expect water to react like this with that sphere if it was introduced.

tumblr_omo4ye2wor1r6g9m4o1_400.gif

Because for example any place you are on earth gravity is pulling to a straight down to a central point. So be it 10 feet, 100 feet or 100 miles away, water is being pulled straight down. It is curved but it would still roughly be the same distance from the core at any point in that body of still water (no currents, wind, etc) you chose.
What is that? Does it work with water?

This has been done at sea and what we find now, with the higher powered lenses that are available, is simply no curvature. There are landmarks, especially lighthouses that should be several feet, sometimes miles below the curve, yet they are clearly visible.

What is that? Does it work with water?

At what height off the ground was the optic used at? The 8" a mile or whatever is based on the perspective of your eye being perfectly level with the ground.

It's a magnet with magnetic putty. In order to try to replicate still water curving you would need to create something like the conditions of earth.

"create gravity pulling towards a central core of a sphere while in a tank that creates it's own local atmosphere so our gravity, pressure, etc have no effect on it".

If you could create that you should see water curve.

If you could create that you should see water curve.
Right, yet no one has.

At what height off the ground was the optic used at? The 8" a mile or whatever is based on the perspective of your eye being perfectly level with the ground.
Go out yourself with a tripod as high as you like:
The Statue of Liberty in New York stands 326 feet above sea level and on a clear day can be seen as far as 60 miles away. If the Earth was a globe, that would put Lady Liberty at an impossible 2,074 feet below the horizon! The lighthouse at Port Said, Egypt, at an elevation of only 60 feet has been seen an astonishing 58 miles away, where, according to modern astronomy it should be 2,182 feet below the line of sight!

Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg measuring 468 feet above sea level. With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away. If the Earth were a globe, however, at that distance
the spire should be an entire mile, 5,280 feet below the horizon!

Right, yet no one has.

Go out yourself with a tripod as high as you like:
The Statue of Liberty in New York stands 326 feet above sea level and on a clear day can be seen as far as 60 miles away. If the Earth was a globe, that would put Lady Liberty at an impossible 2,074 feet below the horizon! The lighthouse at Port Said, Egypt, at an elevation of only 60 feet has been seen an astonishing 58 miles away, where, according to modern astronomy it should be 2,182 feet below the line of sight!

Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg measuring 468 feet above sea level. With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away. If the Earth were a globe, however, at that distance
the spire should be an entire mile, 5,280 feet below the horizon!

"Right, yet no one has."

Right, creating that seems very difficult and expensive. I'd love to see it done though. Magnets and magnetic putty I think is a great example though. It somewhat recreates gravity.

The math they are using is wrong, it needs to be adjusted based on the perspective of your eye level. They are using the curvature model based on a perspective from exactly ground level. The higher you are the further you can see and the less drastic curvature appears. That can be observed at a park or in nature, for example stand 10' away from a gradual 2' mound. You can see all of the mound and everything past it. Now lay down chin on the ground. You can no longer see the other side of that mound.

Read about distance to horizon and how your eye level elevation effects it.

Last edited:
There is no argument in favor of the flat earth hypothesis that isn't based upon horse hockey. I'm prepared to be told how unhelpful this post is. So is debating the earth is flat when it has been proved over and over to be false. End of story.

But just to satisfy the question asked in the OP,
7 DIY experiments you and rapper B.o.B can do to prove Earth is round
Let there be no doubt. Flat earth is fucking stupid.

There is no argument in favor of the flat earth hypothesis that isn't based upon horse hockey. I'm prepared to be told how unhelpful this post is. So is debating the earth is flat when it has been proved over and over to be false. End of story.

But just to satisfy the question asked in the OP,
7 DIY experiments you and rapper B.o.B can do to prove Earth is round
Let there be no doubt. Flat earth is fucking stupid.

Experiment 3 is basically what I'm talking about ^

I'm no post reporter, but this thread was chosen to do here, specifically to prevent trolling.

If you want to play along, start with:
Why is it that all the experiments done to this point show no curvature nor movement?

The hard part isn't showing people the evidence, it's convincing them they've been lied to their whole lives.

Park a car on the salt flats on a low-mirage day. Look at it. Notice that it's a car and that it's there.

Walk or dune buggy or teleport three miles away. Look back toward the car. Notice it's not there.

Be declared a sorcerer by local Mormons and prepare to be elected into the quorum of the twelve apostles.

This is what I would call "expertise angle-shooting."

It's not fundamentally different from demanding that common people describe specific experiments to prove some aspect of the germ theory of disease, or demanding that we prove the viability of space rockets on a karate forum. That can never be the standard by which to judge the truth of an established, but scientifically/experimentally-dependent fact.

Parting shot:

This is what I would call "expertise angle-shooting."

It's not fundamentally different from demanding that common people describe specific experiments to prove some aspect of the germ theory of disease, or demanding that we prove the viability of space rockets on a karate forum. That can never be the standard by which to judge the truth of an established, but scientifically/experimentally-dependent fact.

Should have made this your only post and left out the rest of that slop.

This topic is just so bad. Flat earthers are the absolute worse IMO. No amount of evidence will convince them that the earth inst flat.

You can go out on a large body of water, miles away from land and observe that you will see the top of an object before you can see the bottom. As you move closer to shore you will be able to see more of the bottom, until you can finally see the whole object.

Its hard not just to flat out insult someone that believes in flat earth when talking about the subject. The flat earth theory is just so insane, and a waste of time to talk about.

Last edited:
Ooof. Let's move on to volume 12 Mr. President. Unless the next one is "Do vaccines cause autism? A deep dive". Then just step down as WR prez.

This one is a dud.

And a piece of unsolicited advice: don't take @abiG suggestions for thread topics going forward. It's nearly guaranteed to go bad.

And a piece of unsolicited advice: don't take @abiG suggestions for thread topics going forward. It's nearly guaranteed to go bad.

Thanks. Here's some advice for you and anyone else that doesn't like the topic of this edition. Contribute something better. I've been asking for months. If you've got nothing but just wanna complain then you're what I call problems without solutions. Guaranteed not one of you steps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back