Potential death of PC Gaming: Microsoft looking to acquire EA, Valve, PUBG [RUMOR]

I haven't read the whole thread but it's worth noting that wow (and other blizzard titles, league of legends, and fortnite make up the majority of PC gaming and don't use steam.

I think you guys are confused with what’s being discussed. The argument isn’t that the game sucked because of sjw elements incorporated into the game, like gay or trans characters. The argument is the game sucked because of sjw policies that went into the development of making the game itself. Bad textures and animations are the result of hiring unqualified staff in the name of diversity.

Andromeda was a shit game because it was made by Zoe Quinn types.

It had a plethora of issues going against it. Turnover, lack of staff, changing direction at the last minute.

One of the main issues was that the game was supposed to be like No Man Sky, exploring limitless, randomly generated worlds... which sounds great on paper. But I guess they discovered that it gets boring rather quickly if there's not actual storylines tied to each planet. So they changed the number of planets to 30, then down to 7 when they realized that they had pretty much run out of time.

Lol the sad thing is, Montreal actually isn't even their B-Team, it's actually their C-Team. Bioware Edmonton is the A-Team, Bioware Austin is the B-Team, and Bioware Montreal is the C-Team. Edmonton was too busy working on the next Dragon Age and Anthem during the making of Andromeda. Prior to Andromeda, they had only worked on the multiplayer for ME3.

They got rid of Montreal after the game tanked.

lol wow I had no idea about any of this. When I heard Bioware I just assumed it was one company. I saw people mention this stuff early on but didn't bother trying to figure it out. Well at least the Edmonton team is working on Dragon Age. I still enjoy that series.

I haven't read the whole thread but it's worth noting that wow (and other blizzard titles, league of legends, and fortnite make up the majority of PC gaming and don't use steam.
With all of Microsoft's own PC games (ex. Minecraft, Forza, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, ReCore, etc) added to Steam, EA's Origin, and PUBG, yeah, they'd control the majority of PC gaming.

Not even Blizzard + LoL + World of Tanks + asian cafe gaming would enjoy a larger player pool.

I think you guys are confused with what’s being discussed. The argument isn’t that the game sucked because of sjw elements incorporated into the game, like gay or trans characters. The argument is the game sucked because of sjw policies that went into the development of making the game itself. Bad textures and animations are the result of hiring unqualified staff in the name of diversity.

Andromeda was a shit game because it was made by Zoe Quinn types.
I don't think they're confused at what's being discussed. At least one person in the thread made the "sjw" complaint with respect to sjw elements in a game, and not about unqualified devs. That was about Dragon Age Inquisition, not Andromeda, but they're not exactly missing an argument. They're just responding to a different one than the one that you're currently making.

I don't think they're confused at all. At least one person in the thread made the "sjw" complaint with respect to sjw elements in a game, and not about unqualified devs. That was about Dragon Age Inquisition, not Adromeda, but they're not exactly missing an argument. They're just responding to a different one than the one that you're currently making.
It's not his fault they're conflating arguments. Besides, the larger point is valid. SJWism in gaming (both within the games and without) has proven a scourge.

It severely limits my options, but where I'm aware, I'll make a concerted effort not to support devs that are party to it.

With all of Microsoft's own PC games (ex. Minecraft, Forza, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, ReCore, etc) added to Steam, EA's Origin, and PUBG, yeah, they'd control the majority of PC gaming.

Not even Blizzard + LoL + World of Tanks + asian cafe gaming would enjoy a larger player pool.
Are we sure though? As a statement either way is believable but especially adding China to the mix it seems hard to get up to date numbers

It's not his fault they're conflating arguments. Besides, the larger point is valid. SJWism in gaming (both within the games and without) has proven a scourge.

It severely limits my options, but where I'm aware, I'll make a concerted effort not to support devs that are party to it.
It might not be his fault that they're conflating arguments, but it is his mistake to suggest that they're confused about what's been discussed. The first set of responses in that game were either expressly about elements or ambigious enough that they could be interpreted as being about forcing those elements. The argument didn't shift to being expressly about "diversity hires" until after he had already committed to his position.

But at this point, we're arguing about the nature of an argument that, as you noted, doesn't really change your greater issue. Not one that I'm convinced by either, mind, but also one that I'm not terribly interested in endlessly rehashing.

Are we sure though? As a statement either way is believable but especially adding China to the mix it seems hard to get up to date numbers
I'm definitely not certain. I'm adding numbers in my head.

I agree that's true. But if Microsoft mismanages it and pisses off gamers and especially developers, there's nothing to stop the AAA guys from breaking away from Steam... unlike the consoles where the Microsoft Store is the only option.

Steam works because it's extremely convenient for the gamer and offers ton's of games at great prices.

Actually, thinking about it... Steam brought PC Gaming closer to the console experience. You buy a game on Steam, download and boom.. .you're good to go. Patches, etc are already installed effortlessly for you. It's rare that games don't run correctly after Steam installs them for you.

In the past, PC Gaming was often an "exciting" experience trying to get a game running after opening the box... and time consuming.

First off - you cannot kill PC gaming by buying a service or producer. The number of producers is huge. You could kill PC gaming by buying MS and shutting down Windows.

Second - why would MS, the producer of Windows for PCs, want to fuck with PC gaming? They got into the console business to provide a homogenous PC as an alternative to Sony.

I agree that's true. But if Microsoft mismanages it and pisses off gamers and especially developers, there's nothing to stop the AAA guys from breaking away from Steam... unlike the consoles where the Microsoft Store is the only option.

Steam works because it's extremely convenient for the gamer and offers ton's of games at great prices.

Actually, thinking about it... Steam brought PC Gaming closer to the console experience. You buy a game on Steam, download and boom.. .you're good to go. Patches, etc are already installed effortlessly for you. It's rare that games don't run correctly after Steam installs them for you.

In the past, PC Gaming was often an "exciting" experience trying to get a game running after opening the box... and time consuming.

The option to MS is Sony/Nintendo.

When I was PC gaming during the days HL2 came out and before that I never really had issues installing games. I haven't noticed a difference honestly. I just like the console like interface of steams big picture mode.

When I was PC gaming during the days HL2 came out and before that I never really had issues installing games. I haven't noticed a difference honestly. I just like the console like interface of steams big picture mode.

Guess I'm dating myself. Between downloading and install patches, drivers, icq confilcts.... running setup.exe.

I've seen this thread on Tuesday.
Can't believe nobody brought this up by now.

Valve would rather disintegrate than sell out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gabe-Newell-Valve-EA-Buyout-Half-Life,17492.html
That's from 2012 but this article from a few days ago suggests Newell's attitude likely hasn't changed, which is fine with me. ;)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...onic-arts-as-possible-acquisition-target.aspx
Valve is a privately owned company, which would make any acquisition difficult enough on its own, and founder Gabe Newell is well known not to be a fan of his former employer Microsoft and their Windows 10 strategy for gaming.

Microsoft’s Direct X had a much bigger impact on getting things t work out of the box then Steam ever had.

I've seen this thread on Tuesday.
Can't believe nobody brought this up by now.

Valve would rather disintegrate than sell out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gabe-Newell-Valve-EA-Buyout-Half-Life,17492.html
To be fair, that was with EA. And further, it's possible for a buyout to occur that preserves the integrity of the purchased company. Any such buyout between MS and Valve would be to integrate steam into windows, rather than to loot Valve's engines and games. Although I would like to see the source engine really get exploited.

To be fair, that was with EA. And further, it's possible for a buyout to occur that preserves the integrity of the purchased company. Any such buyout between MS and Valve would be to integrate steam into windows, rather than to loot Valve's engines and games. Although I would like to see the source engine really get exploited.

Buyouts don’t preserve integrity - never have and never will, especially in the face of something like MS. You’re a mouse marrying a Rottweiler. One that snores with it’s mouth open. Case in point the Minecraft studios.

Back