Posture problem with Muay Thai

pain1814

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in Muay Thai for about 6 months seriously and I still get yelled at for having bad posture when I throw punches. When moving around the posture is fine, but when i throw punches, especially my left hook the posture in my lower back gets messed up and sticks my chin up in the air. Basically when i throw some punches i stand too upright as opposed to the correct stance of being hunched over with your lower back relaxed and your chin down. My instructor thinks this may be some bad habit that I learned from years of wrestling or something along those lines. Does anybody have any idea how to train to fix this? I have been trying to for a while and have had little success.

Thank you,

Are you backing up when your chin goes up in the air, if your attacking with your hook, unless your scared to get hit i cant see how your chins move up.

Anyone i notice who doesnt like getting punched in the face tends to lean back or stright up and move there head back kind of how you discribed.

Personaly i have a tendancy to keep my chin tucked soo much i take jabs/cross's off my forhead. but im pretty agressive and usualy always move forward :|

I don't think it has to do with that. The reason is that it happens in bag work and with focus mits. I stand too upright, and i am told that the problem is in my back posture, when i stand too upright it make my chin stick up in the air. I get the problem when i throw punches but it is most noticable when i throw the left hook. I am conscious of it when i train but its a bad habit that is hard to fix. Imagine standing upright and sticking your chest out, that is the kind of posture i get, as opposed to being relaxed.

im not sure but i think when you throw a left hook your supposed to keep your chin tucked

behind your shoulder so it shields it or something

Stop giving people advice Mr. Locker Room brawler.

The number 1 thing I would prescribe is to watch some Muay Thai fights. Its amazing how many people train Muay Thai but have never actually seen a Thai fight. Look at their stance, the way they are relaxed and slightly hunched over. Muay Thai is not about bopping around with good footwork its about standing good ready to block/counter and deliver hard strikes of your own.

I wish I could say I am but sadly I have no idea who that is.

^Is it now?

Well in that case I am in fact the infamous Kid Thunder.

I thought this thread was going to be about how MT is bad for your posture, in which case I was going to totally agree. The whole chin down and shoulders up and rolled forward? It's enough to make a posture teacher have nightmares for weeks.

Since I believe your only asking for advice on how to prevent yourself from this problem. I would reccomend getting in front of a mirror, and shadow boxing. What this will do for you is when you throw the combos that cause you to come up. You will be able to see your self coming up, and be able to fix it. Trust me watching yourself make mistakes, will have you correct them easier then someone telling you your doing it. I have fixed so many of my bad habits shadow boxing in front of a mirror!

Since I believe your only asking for advice on how to prevent yourself from this problem. I would reccomend getting in front of a mirror, and shadow boxing. What this will do for you is when you throw the combos that cause you to come up. You will be able to see your self coming up, and be able to fix it. Trust me watching yourself make mistakes, will have you correct them easier then someone telling you your doing it. I have fixed so many of my bad habits shadow boxing in front of a mirror!

Thanks, this is what i have started to do. I had to slow down my punches because even if i fix my posture at one point, it starts to revert back to old habits when i put power into mu punches. I am focused on keeping my lower back relaxed because when i flex it i start to stand up erect which sticks my chin out. Also, when keeping my chin down I have been sure to make sure i am looking out of the top of my eyes instead of looking normally. I am told that this keeps the chin down and my instructor works for one of the top gyms in the state so hopefully this will help.

Thanks for the replies,

get a tennis ball and put it under your chin, now shadowbox and don't let it fall!

you could throw the punches/combos really slow with perfect technique/stance, that would get your body used to throwing the techniques properly
its very difficult to correct yourself at full speed

Keep a squishy ball between your chin and your chest when you practice but not when you fight.

Back