Post workout recovery drink/ meal

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by MusclesMarinara, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MusclesMarinara

MusclesMarinara Friends with Bigfoot

4:1 carb to protein ratio?
    20 minutes after you workout is completed?
    the most important meal of the day?

what's the truth here?

I'm trying to focus a bit more on the nutritional aspect of my training. I'd like to approach it as scientifically as possible to get the most out of my workouts and to aid my recovery as I am older than most here.

2. JSN

JSN Bitch Lasagna

as far as i know, the more this is researched, the more the data indicate that timing doesn't do much if anything. it's far more important to simply eat a good diet.

3. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

How old are you Muscles? How bout a little more info on what your training entails & what your diet looks like?

4. MusclesMarinara

take the average here and multiply it by two.... 44

I have a training log in the strength and conditioning forum if you're interested. My focus is on rock climbing but I enjoy a general fitness lifestyle as well. I include strongman and Olympic lifts here and there, and throw in some gymnastic stuff just to stay agile. Trail running keeps the heart and diaphragm working well.

My diet is fair. Like most people's, it could use improvement. Breakfast is usually pretty clean with stuff like Greek yogurt, oatmeal, or boiled eggs. Both dinner and lunch are full meals that include a slab of animal protein, veggies or salad, and carbs (like potatoes or rice). My worst offenders are probably cheese and the weekend micro brews. I don't consume alcohol during the week.

edit(adding)

My pre-workout snack had been a bag of Cliff rocks which I'd eat before, during and after. Then I switched it up to two bananas. I thought eating real food was better than synthetic. I realize there is a bit of a contradiction there as I've started using Gatorade's recovery drink as a post workout snack. I needed something i could scarf down quickly after training.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

6. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

I like having a couple guys here that are older than me :icon_chee (I'm 37)

I know I've seen you around the S&C a bit, I just wasn't posting a whole lot for a while.

Your training does justify you eating a lot more carbs than mine does, but I still wouldn't go higher than a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein PWO. Personally, when I do start using a PWO shake again, I plan on using just protein and the only carbs being if I mix it in milk instead of water. There are some who still say unless you're training for marathons or the Iron Man, you don't need carbs PWO, but I would say just experiment and see which works best for you. Maybe the 4:1 ratio is what your body will prefer, ya never know til you try.

7. MusclesMarinara

Chocolate milk... that's a good idea as a ready to drink after workout snack. It didn't even cross my mind as I think of it as a kiddie drink.

As I said earlier I've been using the
    (carbs/ protein)
    Gatorade recovery which is a bout 1:2
    Accelerade I hear is good as well at 4:1 (although I worry about the additional calories)
    Chocolate milk I'll look into.

I like going with a drink since you're thirsty anyway.

8. 4FightersChick

4FightersChick White Belt

Nutrient timing is just as important as what you are ingesting. When you train, you are actually "breaking down and ripping apart" protein fibers= your muscles. After you work them, deplete your body if all the stored glycogen, your body will "eat". Unless you want it to "eat" the work you're doing, you better feed it. AND, it won't simply WAIT until you feel like eating- you need to ingest that meal within 30 min of training. You need an insulin spiking carb (one of the best is angel food cake, but a pain to find, I like craisins or fruit snacks from my kids), and a scoop of protein that your body will assimilate quickly, as it it in liquid form.

The trick is, it depends 0on what KIND of workout you are doing that determines HOW YOU REFUEL. If you drove a car 10 miles vs 50 miles, it would not need the exact same amount of gas, right?

I wouls also include some glutamine and aminos, post workout.

This is what we do, on our site, if I can help with any more questions. Thanks!

9. MusclesMarinara

4FC- I've been doing a lot of rock climbing and my supporting work outs have been geared more towards body weight exercises and endurance. Do you think I should up the carb ratio to protein?

10. Denbob99

Denbob99 Orange Belt

11. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

I really believe the amount of carbs you need post workout should not be generalized like it is often done. I for example do not consume very many carbs at all post workout, and in fact right now none.

Are you trying to gain strength/weight or lose a few pounds? Are you trying to stay at the same weight and strength?

Do you feel tired and worn out the next day or in the hours after your workout. How many calories do you take in a day and how much carb/protien/fat makes up your intake.

The amount of carbs taken in post workout with protein should be fully integrated with your
    overall approach to nutrition.

Edit

Ditch the gatorade crap if you want to be really serious about your health and nutrition. There are much better options that could be prepared at home. Oh and the 20 minute thing is retarted. Eat after your workouts as you feel hungry. I know I'm always starving after a hard training session.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  12. MusclesMarinara

I wouldn't be so quick to knock the Gatorade Recover until you've read the label.
    I had initially chose that as my post workout drink since it offered a quick ~10 grams of protein while being low in carbohydrates.
    I generally watch my caloric intake as I am forever trying to cut a few pounds of body fat while maintaining muscle mass.
    I can fluctuate my weight by ten pounds yet still have that stubborn bit of softness around my mid section.
    I'm thinking if I can cut that last 5 pounds of body fat my climbing might improve.

13. 4FightersChick

4FightersChick White Belt

MusclesMarina, rockclimbing and anything of the likes, is a lot of isometric holding and "constant work" for your body. Sometimes, even though you're not "moving", you're still workin!!!

With any endurance sport/activity, carbs are essential. They are not the enemy at any time, though, just "improper use".

I would suggest 35-50g of high glycemic carbs after your workout. However, I could only hit that number right on if I knew your weight, bodyfat, etc.

Hope that helps!!!

14. MusclesMarinara

I'm 155 lbs at 44 years old. I work out between 3 and 5 times per week depending on what my joints will handle or if I've done anything stupid.

15. YourOnlineHero

YourOnlineHero Ask for my premium snapchat

Wait... I'm not supposed to consume huge amounts of whey 5 minutes after each workout? What's insulin sensitivity? Huh? If drinking pwo shakes 3 times a day ruins it... I guess i'm not sensitive to insulin anymore. :( ?

16. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

I like milk and fruits after a workout, natural whey would be good too.

17. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

18. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt