Post whores

pauljr1121

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There has been a serious rash of post whores recently. I'm taking about people with blue belts who haven't been members for more than five days. Rex Kwon Do, ghostinmachine, and blacktana comes to mind. If they were actually contributing something that stood out, but their posts are usually worthless, provide zero to the discussion, and are simply trying to up their post count. It seems like this is becoming an epidemic. I know that some sites can restrict user accounts if they download more than a gig of content. Is it possible to lock an account if a poster registers more that say 100 posts in one day. As someone who has contributed to Sherdog for some time now, I am curious what opinion the mods have.

Delta is no mod ... but ghostinmachine/blacktana has been banned. Rex Kwon Do is the only one who slipped under the radar and the verdict is still out. Hopefully he is banned for the good of the subforum.

E

Some people call me that, and Kabuki IS a Mod. It's all in post-content. If we spot someone we usually review their post-history and that has a lot of bearing on what is done with them. Some people might slip through, but if they're doing wrong their time will come.

Does it really bother you that much? There is an ignore button that makes them go away quite easily.

its all about the avatars.........if they weren't restricted perhaps the motivation to post whore would disappear.

pauljr1121 said:
There has been a serious rash of post whores recently. I'm taking about people with blue belts who haven't been members for more than five days. Rex Kwon Do, ghostinmachine, and blacktana comes to mind. If they were actually contributing something that stood out, but their posts are usually worthless, provide zero to the discussion, and are simply trying to up their post count. It seems like this is becoming an epidemic. I know that some sites can restrict user accounts if they download more than a gig of content. Is it possible to lock an account if a poster registers more that say 100 posts in one day. As someone who has contributed to Sherdog for some time now, I am curious what opinion the mods have.

Your posts are as meaningless as mine. Don't pretend you are God's gift to Sherdog.

I'd say Rex was a jerk but not a postwhore like wizard man who posts td/lr or +1 all the time. Rex doesn't deserve teh ban.

Rex Kwon Do said:
Your posts are as meaningless as mine. Don't pretend you are God's gift to Sherdog.

I never did. But 140 posts a day is absurd. I am as guilty as anyone for posting innane posts that may only be a sentence long. But anyone making 140 posts per day can't possibly be providing any type of relevant service to sherdog members. At the current rate, you will reach black belt status in a little over a month. As for those saying, if you don't like it hit ignore. This is site suggestions and questions forum. If you don't like the questions you will find here than don't inhabit this forum.

JeremiahBailey said:
I'd say Rex was a jerk but not a postwhore like wizard man who posts td/lr or +1 all the time. Rex doesn't deserve teh ban.

I never suggested that anyone be banned. That decision is up to the mods. I simply offered an opinion and asked what the mods thought about it.

I posted very much in the past few days, but my actions are still not those of a post whore, per se. I would prefer not to be grouped with ninjashoes and the like.

JeremiahBailey said:

I'll take that as a compliment.

My posting slowed down to like 30 posts today, as I predicted. The posts per day is still very high due to the amount I did on the weekend.

RKD is worse than ninjashoes and his spawns ....

why is that you ask?

The Ninjas were all banned. Rex is still here.

Delta exhorts the mods to take actions and ban him.

SHooto Pananma ... acabalo.

Gracias.

E

Rex - Don't worry about it right now. When I first started posting on Sherdog I got IM's from Sherdog "lurkers" not even members, to quit posting so much. The way I looked at it these people were simply jealous I had things to say. In the forums I frequented I would actually get PM's from posters telling me to keep posting because they enjoyed the reads. This is what earned my Mod status.

As I said earlier in the thread when someone is punished their post-history is one of the most important things looked at. Post-whores nowadays are typically defined as those who sign up and revive old threads, or make posts like "I agree"...or "good post" or "gay" just to get their numbers up. Formulation of a coherent sentenence, plus good grammar, on top of posts being at-all relevant to the thread subject would keep someone from being considered a post-whore. However, continous inflammatory remarks and flame-baiting would garner the title of "troll" which is another cause for alarm. Rex might be quick out of the gate with his numbers but it will normal off. Sherdog is only interesting but for SO many hours out of the day. lol

King Kabuki said:
Rex - Don't worry about it right now. When I first started posting on Sherdog I got IM's from Sherdog "lurkers" not even members, to quit posting so much. The way I looked at it these people were simply jealous I had things to say. In the forums I frequented I would actually get PM's from posters telling me to keep posting because they enjoyed the reads. This is what earned my Mod status.

As I said earlier in the thread when someone is punished their post-history is one of the most important things looked at. Post-whores nowadays are typically defined as those who sign up and revive old threads, or make posts like "I agree"...or "good post" or "gay" just to get their numbers up. Formulation of a coherent sentenence, plus good grammar, on top of posts being at-all relevant to the thread subject would keep someone from being considered a post-whore. However, continous inflammatory remarks and flame-baiting would garner the title of "troll" which is another cause for alarm. Rex might be quick out of the gate with his numbers but it will normal off. Sherdog is only interesting but for SO many hours out of the day. lol

Thanks for the response. I respect your opinion and accept that I may be wrong about Rex Kwon Do. My question has been answered and as far as I am concerned this topic is closed.

what are you going to do. if your main priority is to get you sherdog post count up, then i suggest a little time away from the internet. i mean if you have time to post 140 times per day then more power to you. i could care less how many posts you have. if you have something good to say, i will listen.

I'm not sure about vbulletin but on other forum programs it is possible to freeze a user's post count for a period of time or indefinitly. Perhaps if a mod's attention is drawn to a user who is 'post whoring' then they could implement something like a post freeze instead of banning the user.

I agree with the thread starter. I have seen a lot of orange belts that joined in november. Thats not right. Your belt is supposed to represent your experience and knowledge not how much free time you have. And 70 posts a day is far too much IMO. i dont think i could post 70 things even if i tried. There should be a 30 post a day limit for non-mods or something. you would still get ur orange sash in 9 days but poeple are getting them in 2-3 days. Maybe teh limit could get lifted when you have been a member for a year or 2 or something.

Back