Post Training Nutrition

snookD

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to the boards, usually lurking and trying to absorb as much information as I can. Alot of good info out here. I have a quick question about post training nutrition. Currently I am training for a fight in Sept. at 145lbs. I'm fluctuating between 155-160 at the moment, which is fine for now. However, I am feeling run down during the day and starting to gas sooner in training. A typical training week is 5 days 2 hours a night of intense training, with striking and grappeling thrown in the mix. Immediately after training I'll have 2 scoops of Ultra Fuel (40g Carbs I believe) 33g of whey protein, and 5g of creatine. Then I down water on the 45 minute drive home. i get home around 9-9:30pm...and I'm always weary of eating a meal at this time...worried about gaining any body fat. Should I be having a meal with carbs this late? Thanks.

I would not worry gaining fat because of a late dinner. You need to assess you diet as a whole before you worry too much about timing. What is your total daily caloric intake? Because you are feeling so run down and gassing, it is probable that you are not getting the calories you need. 10-15 pounds is not a huge amount to cut. See this:http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/weight-cutting-thread-450596/

Thanks for the info, I think you are right. As I was reading through the boards I found a nutrition calculator. For 5 days of intense exercise, and my height(5'7"), and weight, I should be consuming 2008cal a day for fat loss. If I have to guess at the moment....I am probably eating around 1250-1350....under-feeding big time. That would explain gassing early and loss of strength. I'm not sure of the calorie intake, I can get that information when I go home but a typical day of eating for me looks like this. I will add a meal after the post workout meal. thinking I need maybe some brown rice or sweet potato with the 12:00 meal as well.

6:30am Smoothie (2 cups non fat milk, 1 scoop protein, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 egg whites, spoonful of natural peanut butter)

12:00 Turkey chili (black beans, TBspn of ground flax, turkey, corn)

3:00 Handful of almonds, grapes

5:15 Pre-workout Peanut Butter and Banana sandwhich on whole grain(I just added this last Friday, before it was just a scoop of protein)

8:45pm 2 scoops Ultra Fuel, 1 1/2 scoop of protein, 5g creatine

You are definitely under eating. You need to have carbs for energy; your fat % won't matter if you gas in your first round of fighting.

~2000 calories is definitely a good number to hit. Adding the 6th meal is a definite must if you're ony hitting 1300 calories. I'd highly suggest trying to add chicken/tuna w/ rice or pasta or something in replacement of all the protein shakes though, or at least some of them. Whey protein is to supplement your meals; you shouldn't be using them solely as a meal replacement...or, that's my opinion anyways. I'm around 195 and eat ~3000 calories a day and aim for 220-240g protein and generally I have protein shake post workout (I workout at noon) and before I go to sleep; and I mix banana/blueberries etc into it to ensure I'm hitting my calorie goals (also, added carbs for energy) but - I'm also not training as hard as you likely. One thing to note though - I didn't look up what that Ultra Fuel is; so I could be way off base here - but if it's anything like NOX/Six Star Muscle Creatine/NOX things - you could just be coming off a large energy crash? I've noticed that when I'm on those things.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I will start making all these changes today. I suspected I was under my calories, but needed the confirmation. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I will start making all these changes today. I suspected I was under my calories, but needed the confirmation. Thanks again.

you might want to add some healthy fats into the mix as well.

Yes sorry. I am taking the fish oil with the MEG3 in it I believe. I got the recommended doses from the Sherdog Fish oil Thread. I am taking a whole food multivitamin I got from Vitamin Shoppe. Also 5-10g a day of creatine. I plan on throwing some beta alanine in the mix. I used a product called Incarnate when I used to lift alot, and had nothing but great results from that. I have just not been conisistent with taking them and the diet. A full time and part time job...plus MMA, makes it difficult for me to stay on course at times. I'll definitely throw in some almonds, alvacado and more healthy fats. Would 40g a day be enough?

Your body doesn't know it's 9:30, it only knows that it's just been put through the ringer and needs to replenish.

Back