post surgery question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by rowdstar, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

I will have had 3 abdominal surgeries between Sept and Dec of this year. When I speak to my surgeon about returning to JJ afterwards his advice is simply, "if it hurts, don't do it."

In between surgeries I have developed a small hernia below my ileostomy site. I had 4 previous abdominal surgeries and never had any physical issues.

But this time I will be sedate for almost 6 months off from anything physical, a hernia and 3 open incisions in that time.

Does anyone here have any personal experience in returning to grappling after a major abdominal surgery? My surgeons advice seems far to vague to be useful to me.

Thanks!

If it helps, I am 5' 7", 137 lbs, 38 yo, purple belt. I have been an amateur athlete for years in mountain biking, did a small gig teaching Ginastica Natural and now 3 years of doing jj. So I am thin and have a good base level of fitness before all this happened. In Dec my final surgery will close all my wounds, take down my ostomy and reconnect my intestines and fix the hernia.

2. flak

flak Guest

Check out Graedy's log, "I will never surrender." It's stickie'd. He had surgery for inflammatory bowel disease and fought back like a champ.

3. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

good luck, your a warrior