Post Fight Excuse Syndrome

Check out this article on Arguello's life and it touches on his preparation for the first Pryor fight.
https://www.si.com/vault/2016/06/13/adrift-sea-choices

Skip to this sentence if you don't have the time to read it all

"It was in the autumn of '82, when he was on the ledge of immortality, one victory from a fourth title, that things began to happen that his background did not equip him to understand."
just read it, i remember reading it when it came out. after i became more familiar with cte and it's symptoms i had to think he was suffereing from it. that and boxing leaves a huge void when a man retires, said it many times but champs usually lose it when they retire, in one way or another.

just read it, i remember reading it when it came out. after i became more familiar with cte and it's symptoms i had to think he was suffereing from it. that and boxing leaves a huge void when a man retires, said it many times but champs usually lose it when they retire, in one way or another.
I am curious to see what cte signs symtoms you gleaned from the article other than depression. My main take away was the depression Arguello suffered most likely from his horrible childhood and then being placed in world of wolves in his boxing career ,plus the huge void you talked about when retiring from boxing.

I am curious to see what cte signs symtoms you gleaned from the article other than depression. My main take away was the depression Arguello suffered most likely from his horrible childhood and then being placed in world of wolves in his boxing career ,plus the huge void you talked about when retiring from boxing.
the depression is a big one, one which actually ended his life, um, the drugs too, which was out of character as far as his image, then some of the wacky stuff like going to fight in the army. Interestingly, arguello says he didn't train right for the pryor fight there, before, he said he overtrained. He had a helluva time accepting the pryor loss, i sometimes think, however wrong i might be, that it bothered him the rest of his life. I wonder if the manager guy really ripped arguello off, as I've been saying, boxers often accuse people of ripping them off when they actually rip themselves off because they throw their money away. parts of that article i remember like i read it yesterday, parts of it i don't remember much at all. the one part i'll never forget, for whatever reason, is how he spent money because a salesperson pissed him off by insinuating he was poor, what a silly way to spend your money. also, the part where he puts his kid through that suicide shit, man, that definitely is not normal shit for any parent, even one considering suicide, it's fucked up. I hate how most of my heroes ended up, in fact, some 17 years ago, i read up on all the guys i admired, benitez, arguello, pryor, etc.., etc.., back when I was still considering competing in mma, i never did and I would even tell the younger guys not to fight if they aren't getting anything. You know, as bad as the greats get it, it's the guys who never make it who take a alot of punishment a lot of the time and get nothing out of it, they don't even get a chance to blow a fortune, i've known guys get their brains beat out in both mma and boxing and not even have enough to pay for their medical expenses.

Rigondeaux was too small, after claiming Rigo was going to KO Loma. Loma boxed circles around the smaller supposedly more mobile man.

greg haugen was going through a divorce when chavez beat the piss out of him.

Rigondeaux was too small, after claiming Rigo was going to KO Loma. Loma boxed circles around the smaller supposedly more mobile man.
Did anyone pick Rigondeaux to win by KO when the fight happened or are you talking about before Lomachenko moved up?

how about sugar rays excuse of how duran psyched him into slugging in the first fight and that's why he lost.

I've seen Leonard say he fought Duran inside because he was "Stupid," which is cool.

Kovalev's Ward loss explanations are a real insight to Kovalev's mind, especially the second one. Wholeheartedly believes a borderline punch putting him into such a daze that he can't remember the rest of the fight is a good excuse.

Did anyone pick Rigondeaux to win by KO when the fight happened or are you talking about before Lomachenko moved up?
Yeah definitely people were talking about Rigondeaux 'tremendous' power and how Loma wouldn't be able to take it just before the fight.

The EXCUSES HAVE BEEN COMEDIC GOLD!! WHAT A WEEKEND!

Canelo weightdrained him!
Fight was a fix!
Kovalev was "scoring" with the jab
Kovalev got exhausted
Canelo cherry picked old man
Kovalev drunk or KOd in camp
Judges always gonna screw Kova
Wrong ref!

Wow, the boxing community is something else. Hard to blame it on casual retardation when it's so many regulars feeding us their hater tears!

Cry all you want, babies! CANELO KNOCKED HIS ASS DA FUCK OUT

The EXCUSES HAVE BEEN COMEDIC GOLD!! WHAT A WEEKEND!

Canelo weightdrained him!
Fight was a fix!
Kovalev was "scoring" with the jab
Kovalev got exhausted
Canelo cherry picked old man
Kovalev drunk or KOd in camp
Judges always gonna screw Kova
Wrong ref!

Wow, the boxing community is something else. Hard to blame it on casual retardation when it's so many regulars feeding us their hater tears!

Cry all you want, babies! CANELO KNOCKED HIS ASS DA FUCK OUT
Jabs blocked by the gloves are more meaningful than clean punches.

The worse excuse is Hopkins was 48 years old when he was beat man Gorge Foreman was old and was still winning that's terrible and lame, fighters don't get old and aren't to small and don't have injuries LOL.

Jabs blocked by the gloves are more meaningful than clean punches.
Lol, Aries has been the best. Hes coming off like "I think Canelo proved the better man (even if the judges were corrupt and bought!) Thank god, my night was almost spoiled by a controversial decision because Canelo was ahead and I had Kovalev up by two, so it's good Canelo got the stoppage so I didn't have to throw another fit" lol

Lol, Aries has been the best. Hes coming off like "I think Canelo proved the better man (even if the judges were corrupt and bought!) Thank god, my night was almost spoiled by a controversial decision because Canelo was ahead and I had Kovalev up by two, so it's good Canelo got the stoppage so I didn't have to throw another fit" lol
Wasn't Aries that said that to me, to be fair.

Did Cotto ever say anything about it?
Yes, he's convinced Margs loaded em up with those knuckle pads. Plaster of Paris the way Kearns said he did it w/ Dempsey, was proven to be a liar b/c they tested it and it did not work at all. Plus iirc they wrapped his hands in the ring so obv he couldn't have cheated that way (maybe I'm wrong on that last point, not sure) he was just sour grapes about their relationship going south. So he was full of shit when came to Dempsey/Willard, altho some ppl still think he cheated but I don't buy it.

Margs more had a knuckle pad that to some seemed stale and old and to others looked like it had some sort of plaster of paris type substance that would harden the more the sweat seeped into it over time.

By no means am I saying that Margs didn't load his gloves w/ something, it's just that other than the horrific beating he took, we don't have any concrete evidence (no pun intended) that says for sure he had anything in his glove/s for that fight. There is a pic of his wraps after the fight that Cotto says is definitely some kind of irregular shit inside his wraps. I'll try to find the pic for you hold on:

First pic to come up. It does look odd but I am no expert when it comes to hand wraps and shit like that. @sweetviolenturg would be a good guy to have look at this and his thoughts on it.

482x316_10.jpg

Back