Post Fight Excuse Syndrome

how about sugar rays excuse of how duran psyched him into slugging in the first fight and that's why he lost.

David Haye standing on the post fight conference table and blaming his little toe for the Wlad loss, while possibly legit, was laughable.

Danny Jacobs after he got KTFO - "my grandma died"

how about sugar rays excuse of how duran psyched him into slugging in the first fight and that's why he lost.
I believe that one. I don't see that as a negative comment towards Duran either.

“Man in a black hat” after Khan lost to Peterson after trying to win a pushing contest.
Just watched this fight again and man, with all those excuses, it really gets lost how badly Peterson beat Khans ass.

Don't forget how they blamed the ref for not letting Khan foul all night long. People claimed the ref didn't issue warnings, he was warning Khan NONSTOP for fouling from halfway through the 3rd round until the fight ended.

Clean win for Peterson, IMO.

The legs rub one. Strangely erotic.

Haye's toe.
Duran having to shit.
Pac's shoulder.

We'll never know for sure about Margs loading his gloves against Cotto. I don't think we can say he definitely did b/c there's no proof other than he got caught before the Shane fight. I've thought a lot about this since the controversy started, but over the years it seems more likely he did have those pads in against Cotto.

That being said he was always a bad stylistic match up for Cotto. I think we overlook sometimes how great of a fight that was, as well. Man they went to war. It's a tainted fight, but it was a helluva fight as well, and it played out like a lot of us thought it would on paper, beforehand.

The funny thing is if he was loading his gloves against Cotto, why don't we talk about his previous opponents as well? Nobody gives a shit about Kermit Cintron getting his ass beat twice. Did he load his gloves against Paul too and still lose?

How long did it go on for? We always say he did it against Cotto but if he did it, why is Cotto the only one who gets the sympathy? I love Cotto but come on it doesn't make sense to me he just started loading his gloves for the Cotto fight for the first time. But ppl treat it like that b/c Cotto's fucking great and the other fighters aren't.

I honestly think he did probably start using those pads in his gloves and he probably started it after the Clottey fight where he hurt his hand/wrist, iirc.

Or he did it for most of his career, I don't think it just started with Cotto, that doesn't make sense to me. Neither does starting against Shane. He either did it after an injury to protect his hands or it was something he always did.

/rant. I know I'll prob get shit for this but it's just my opinion.

The legs rub one. Strangely erotic.
what gets me is that manny was the main one behind that excuse, not the fighter, manny was a smart man but that doesn't always grant objectivity.

We'll never know for sure about Margs loading his gloves against Cotto. I don't think we can say he definitely did b/c there's no proof other than he got caught before the Shane fight. I've thought a lot about this since the controversy started, but over the years it seems more likely he did have those pads in against Cotto.

That being said he was always a bad stylistic match up for Cotto. I think we overlook sometimes how great of a fight that was, as well. Man they went to war. It's a tainted fight, but it was a helluva fight as well, and it played out like a lot of us thought it would on paper, beforehand.

The funny thing is if he was loading his gloves against Cotto, why don't we talk about his previous opponents as well? Nobody gives a shit about Kermit Cintron getting his ass beat twice. Did he load his gloves against Paul too and still lose?

How long did it go on for? We always say he did it against Cotto but if he did it, why is Cotto the only one who gets the sympathy? I love Cotto but come on it doesn't make sense to me he just started loading his gloves for the Cotto fight for the first time. But ppl treat it like that b/c Cotto's fucking great and the other fighters aren't.

I honestly think he did probably start using those pads in his gloves and he probably started it after the Clottey fight where he hurt his hand/wrist, iirc.

Or he did it for most of his career, I don't think it just started with Cotto, that doesn't make sense to me. Neither does starting against Shane. He either did it after an injury to protect his hands or it was something he always did.

/rant. I know I'll prob get shit for this but it's just my opinion.

there was some old article on this and they basically tried to say marg did nothing that trinidad didn't do, which is a liable type thing to say. I read it but can't remember the details, but they were minimizing what marg did. if a chunk of anything falls out of some wraps the guy should be banned. anyway, some people have said that trinidad stopped kayoing people when the amount of tape and gauze he was allowed to use was limited.

One of Dempseys men who he had a falling out with tried to come out decades later and say he had plaster of paris in his gloves, however, there are photos of dempsey with normal looking wraps in the ring right after the fight. SI even conducted an experiment with plaster of paris which debunked the possibility of using it for gain in a fight but then marg comes along and does it. As far as whether marg did it before, he probably, most likely did. Just like any of us and our bad behaviors, it's usually a pattern. a shoplifter gets away some 30 times or more before he gets caught it's usually a pattern.

also, the handwraps are often a time for the opposing corner to fuck with the other guys head, they are suppossed to check the wraps and it's often a ploy to throw the opposition off their game. Arguello had this issue when he fought Costello, he was accused of improperly wrapping his hands and forced to rewrap, he claimed he was so angry that he couldn't fight right but he eventually got into it and kayoed costello. Eddie Futch claimed that Butch Lewis tried this against Tyson in the Spinks fight and said it backfired because tyson already was an angry, raging, fired up guy, no the type that would be thrown off by that, only more pissed off, and he was.

there was some old article on this and they basically tried to say marg did nothing that trinidad didn't do, which is a liable type thing to say. I read it but can't remember the details, but they were minimizing what marg did. if a chunk of anything falls out of some wraps the guy should be banned. anyway, some people have said that trinidad stopped kayoing people when the amount of tape and gauze he was allowed to use was limited.

One of Dempseys men who he had a falling out with tried to come out decades later and say he had plaster of paris in his gloves, however, there are photos of dempsey with normal looking wraps in the ring right after the fight. SI even conducted an experiment with plaster of paris which debunked the possibility of using it for gain in a fight but then marg comes along and does it. As far as whether marg did it before, he probably, most likely did. Just like any of us and our bad behaviors, it's usually a pattern. a shoplifter gets away some 30 times or more before he gets caught it's usually a pattern.

also, the handwraps are often a time for the opposing corner to fuck with the other guys head, they are suppossed to check the wraps and it's often a ploy to throw the opposition off their game. Arguello had this issue when he fought Costello, he was accused of improperly wrapping his hands and forced to rewrap, he claimed he was so angry that he couldn't fight right but he eventually got into it and kayoed costello. Eddie Futch claimed that Butch Lewis tried this against Tyson in the Spinks fight and said it backfired because tyson already was an angry, raging, fired up guy, no the type that would be thrown off by that, only more pissed off, and he was.

Yeah the Tito thing wasn't nearly as big a deal. I think they said he put a bunch of tape on his knuckles and putting tape directly on the knuckles is illegal or something? Anyway, yeah I heard that some ppl said that he lost his power once he couldn't wrap a bunch of tape around his knuckles that made his punches much harder.

Anyway funnily enough it was Brother Nazim who called Tito out for that, iirc, the same guy who caught Margs with whatever he had on his knuckles.I really don't know but I doubt it did much fpr Tito, his hook could kill a fucking bull, tape or no tape.

Like you said, tho, it's an old tactic to get into ppl's heads right before the fight. Nazim is the king of that shit. The thing with Margs is did he get away with commission ppl seemingly overlooking the wrapping off his hands. Don't they have to watch the fighter's hands get wrapped then sign them to show it's all good? How did Margs and his trainer get away w/ it for so long before he got caught when he supposedly being watched by commission ppl. Inept commission workers and/or Nazim just had a better eye for it?

Also some ppl say, pretty much what you said, that the pads weren't really that hard and they were just old pads he used to protect his knuckles. That was his defense, at least. Margs also claimed he couldn't tell that his trainer, I can't remember his name atm, was putting the pads on his hands. That's hard to believe he couldn't tell. Just weird overall.

I read the article on Dempsey as well, it was very interesting. Jack Kearns had a bad falling out with Dempsey iirc, and later told the plaster of paris story. I think the article stated that Dempsey either had his hands wrapped in the ring or at the very least he only had hand wraps on and didn't put his gloves on before he was in the ring. I'm pretty sure there's vid of him w/o his gloves on in the ring before that Willard fight. I'd assume someone in that crowded ring would've seen something fishy going on. Interesting story, but I just think Willard didn't want this fight and came in against a monster who beat the fucking shit out of him b/c he was just better.

Also, I read that a lot of the newspapers/reporters said that Willard's injuries were much worse than they actually were, leading more ppl to believe Dempsey had a jack in his hand or some shit. It's all bullshit made up by Kearns, imo.

Pragmatically, you'd have to think the guy was using these pads not only for the Cotto fight but in at least a few fights before. I don't know how much damage they did but it was illegal and definitely helped him when he was fighting. I personally think he started using after he hurt his hand/s against Clottey but that's just conjecture on my part.

Last edited:
Yeah the Tito thing wasn't nearly as big a deal. I think they said he put a bunch of tape on his knuckles and putting tape directly on the knuckles is illegal or something? Anyway, yeah I heard that some ppl said that he lost his power once he couldn't wrap a bunch of tape around his knuckles that made his punches much harder.

Anyway funnily enough it was Brother Nazim who called Tito out for that, iirc, the same guy who caught Margs with whatever he had on his knuckles.I really don't know but I doubt it did much, like you said it's an old tactic to get into ppl's heads right before the fight. Nazim is the king of that shit. The thing with Margs is did he get away with commission ppl seemingly overlooking the wrapping off his hands. Don't they have to watch the fighter's hands get wrapped then sign them to show it's all good? How did Margs and his trainer get away w/ it for so long before he got caught when he supposedly being watched by commission ppl. Inept commission workers and/or Nazim just had a better eye for it?

Also some ppl say, pretty much what you said, that the pads weren't really that hard and they were just old pads he used to protect his knuckles. That was his defense, at least. Margs also claimed he couldn't tell that his trainer, I can't remember his name atm, was putting the pads on his hands. That's hard to believe he couldn't tell. Just weird overall.

I read the article on Dempsey as well, it was very interesting. Jack Kearns had a bad falling out with Dempsey iirc, and later told the plaster of paris story. I think the article stated that Dempsey either had his hands wrapped in the ring or at the very least he only had hand wraps on and didn't put his gloves on before he was in the ring. I'm pretty sure there's vid of him w/o his gloves on in the ring before that Willard fight. I'd assume someone in that crowded ring would've seen something fishy going on. Interesting story, but I just think Willard didn't want this fight and came in against a monster who beat the fucking shit out of him b/c he was just better.

Also, I read that a lot of the newspapers/reporters said that Willard's injuries were much worse than they actually were, leading more ppl to believe Dempsey had a jack in his hand or some shit. It's all bullshit made up by Kearns, imo.

Pragmatically, you'd have to think the guy was using these pads not only for the Cotto fight but in at least a few fights before. I don't know how much damage they did but it was illegal and definitely helped him when he was fighting. I personally think he started using after he hurt his hand/s against Clottey but that's just conjecture on my part.
what kind of "pads" were they suppossed to be? I heard they flaked like a hard substance would. As far as dempsey, willard actually told a brit journalist that dempsey had a piece of steel in his gloves and that he found it after the fight and "was still very angry" about it. different era, different mindset for sure, people weren't as babied and I could much more easily see people doing all kinds of shit like that, it was barely an america out of the frontier days.

what kind of "pads" were they suppossed to be? I heard they flaked like a hard substance would. As far as dempsey, willard actually told a brit journalist that dempsey had a piece of steel in his gloves and that he found it after the fight and "was still very angry" about it. different era, different mindset for sure, people weren't as babied and I could much more easily see people doing all kinds of shit like that, it was barely an america out of the frontier days.
I have to read up on it to refresh on the details of what ppl are arguing. From what I can tell, the defenders of Margs say the pads were just old and worn out. But the evidence from the AC said that they were pads made to harden over time when Margs got his sweat going and made the pads wet and warmer hence making them harder. That's how I understand it at least, which could be very wrong, tho. I will read up on it, tho, to see what's up with everything. Doesn't look good for Margs tho from what I've initially read.

I have to read up on it to refresh on the details of what ppl are arguing. From what I can tell, the defenders of Margs say the pads were just old and worn out. But the evidence from the AC said that they were pads made to harden over time when Margs got his sweat going and made the pads wet and warmer hence making them harder. That's how I understand it at least, which could be very wrong, tho. I will read up on it, tho, to see what's up with everything. Doesn't look good for Margs tho from what I've initially read.
ya, that's more along the lines of what i read.

and since i'm speaking of Arguello in another thread, he was out of character with his excuses after he lost the pryor fight and I'm not just talking the "one that I mixed" and panama lewis, arguello said eddie futch overtrained him and of course the media almost always favors the trainer over the fighter and arguello had to do a lot of apologizing. Futch said he told arguello just the opposite, that he was getting too old to train like he was. Arguello was quoted in the mags as saying that he felt like a drowning man grabbing for a piece of wood and that's why he made the excuse. It was devestating as it often is for elite champions.
Check out this article on Arguello's life and it touches on his preparation for the first Pryor fight.
https://www.si.com/vault/2016/06/13/adrift-sea-choices

Skip to this sentence if you don't have the time to read it all

"It was in the autumn of '82, when he was on the ledge of immortality, one victory from a fourth title, that things began to happen that his background did not equip him to understand."

Back