Possibly Controversial Opinion: the 3 best musical acts of the last 40 years are...

Daverisimo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Swans

Boards of Canada

And

Massive Attack

More examples:

Swans

Boards of Canada

Massive Attack

I absolutely love Mezzanine but I find Massive Attack inconsistent outside that.

Boards of Canada are very good, but Aphex Twin has more good IDM shit imo.

Swans I could see an argument for.

I absolutely love Mezzanine but I find Massive Attack inconsistent outside that.

Boards of Canada are very good, but Aphex Twin has more good IDM shit imo.

Swans I could see an argument for.
I couldn't be bothered to respond to this earlier, but I'm drunk and bored now, so fuck it.

So, Massive Attack is my pick that I'm the least attached to. In retrospect, I could've replaced them with Radiohead or Bjork. Still, they released two perfect 10/10 albums (Blue Lines and Mezzanine), so I'm still pretty attached to then.

Second, Boards of Canada. Sure, Aphex Twin released some solid IDM (Autechre was better in that respect though), but BoC actually made it something more than pretentious wankery. They took IDM and made it something that transcends the cerebral and actually tugs on you fucking heart.

Lastly, Swans. This is the only one of the three that I'm 100% ride or die for. I honestly think they are these only rock band to emerge within the last 40 years that actually matters, and one of the few artists, in any genre of music, to truly advance music as an artistic medium.

I couldn't be bothered to respond to this earlier, but I'm drunk and bored now, so fuck it.

So, Massive Attack is my pick that I'm the least attached to. In retrospect, I could've replaced them with Radiohead or Bjork. Still, they released two perfect 10/10 albums (Blue Lines and Mezzanine), so I'm still pretty attached to then.

Second, Boards of Canada. Sure, Aphex Twin released some solid IDM (Autechre was better in that respect though), but BoC actually made it something more than pretentious wankery. They took IDM and made it something that transcends the cerebral and actually tugs on you fucking heart.

Lastly, Swans. This is the only one of the three that I'm 100% ride or die for. I honestly think they are these only rock band to emerge within the last 40 years that actually matters, and one of the few artists, in any genre of music, to truly advance music as an artistic medium.

I restarted my RYM page after losing the password to my old one and I've been taking advantage of covid fucking with my other hobbies to re-listen to a bunch of stuff. I need to re-listen to Blue Lines as I haven't heard it in probably 10 years or more. Mezzanine I did and it held up nicely (I had it as a 4 star album), but man Protection was nowhere near as good as I thought it was when I was younger.

Bjork would be a good pick, that triple whammy of Post/Homogenic/Vespertine is elite as fuck. Radiohead also with Bends/OK Computer/Kid A.

BoC are good at textures, but I wouldn't agree that Aphex or Autechre are pretentious really. Something like Girl/Boy song elicits a lot of feeling from me. BoC have had three albums come up on the relisten list (I just basically pick albums at random atm) and Music has the right... and Geogaddi held up pretty well. I found Tomorrow's Harvest a bit boring though.

Swans haven't come up yet, looking forward to it.

all three answers are the Grateful Dead and its not even close or debatable.

<Moves>

Based on stuff they've done since 1980?

they did some of their best shows in the 90's. check out these three gems in ascending order of magnificence. also made more money touring than any other band ever in the 90's

and here is 1981. probably the best live acoustic album of all time.

to lay me down

cassidy

bird song

jack a roe..........

Last edited:
also this album squeaked in 1980. i saw them several times i the 1990's and have to say that there has never been a band like them and probably never will be. the effect they had no people is not normal or common. changed my life profoundly. their music was imbued with a special kind of energy and power....

friend of the devil on this album man......... holy shit what a song.

Last edited:
That's a lot of Grateful Dead lol. I'll get around to listening to it at some point, cheers.

all three answers are the Grateful Dead and its not even close or debatable.

<Moves>

Welcome back, Sherbrah. I thought your WR posts were familiar in tone. Just couldn't place you until just now with the Dead posts.

Anyway, regarding the OP... the last 40 years?!...

Prince
Beck
The Flaming Lips
The White Stripes/Jack White
The Roots

First, I'm talking only about artists that made their start within the last 40 years. Second, meh

sorry about that but it was not clear in the op your intent.

secondly while music is totally subjective and the genre may not be your thing there is just nothing like the grateful dead. the well is so deep on so many levels. the music, the lyrics, the variety of genres, the continuation and true innovation of the folk tradition, the improvisational genius, the effect the music had on people in terms of creating genuine spiritual awakenings and transformation. and then on the level that doesn't matter at all-- they made more money and played for more people than any other band in those later years. there is just so much to this band.

Welcome back, Sherbrah. I thought your WR posts were familiar in tone. Just couldn't place you until just now with the Dead posts.

Anyway, regarding the OP... the last 40 years?!...

Prince
Beck
The Flaming Lips
The White Stripes/Jack White
The Roots

i am who you think i am. no ban though and no tragedy and now that i have my platinum account ill likely have a new user name every 6 months!!

op just got on my case but technically speaking the grateful dead were a musical act for the last 40 years and they are the best so........

anyway just having fun.

LOL NOT A SINGLE FETTY WAP SONG INCLUDED?

OP do you like Burial? With you liking both Massive Attack and BoC it seems to me that you would like Burial

Back