Possible weight gain in 3 months?

lildog

A Warrior's Heart
@red
Reaction score
Im 5'10 and weigh 155. I want to gain as much weight as possible. I currently lift every other day.

The excercises that i do consist of the following (5x5)

Bench
Shoulder press
Deadlift
Squat
Lunges
Barbell Curl
Weighted Dips
* i dont do all of these on the same day*

If i eat around 2,500 calories now, i guess i need to add at least another 1,000 a day to gain significant weight? I'm mostly asking how much i can reasonibly expect to gain if i eat more, a lot more:icon_chee

Yeh 3200-3500 minimum for steady weight gain.

Lots of sleep.

You need to train your upper back too. Pullups, Rows, Shrugs.

Have you just started lifting? If so you should get 3-4kg or so of 'newbie gains' and then the gains will slow down you can probably gain 6-8kg in 3 months (including newbie gains) if you stick to good eating and sleeping.

Yeh 3200-3500 minimum for steady weight gain.

Lots of sleep.

You need to train your upper back too. Pullups, Rows, Shrugs.

Have you just started lifting? If so you should get 3-4kg or so of 'newbie gains' and then the gains will slow down you can probably gain 6-8kg in 3 months (including newbie gains) if you stick to good eating and sleeping.

I forgot to add pull ups ( i do them as well)

Is a "newbie gain" weight you gain in the first couple weeks? You can gain 8 pounds quickly, then another 12 with with consistent eating and good sleep?

any more predicitons/thoughts?

Yeh the body responds to the lifting immediately with some increases in muscle mass but then any gains after come from consistency, good lifting, diet and rest.

Eat a lot, that's the key. It depends on how old you are. Assuming you've been through puberty and all that jazz but are still young, you can easily put on 1-2 quality pounds a week if you are consistently getting enough calories and lifting heavy. The older you get the smaller that number gets unless you are on the juice.

I think the type of calories you eat makes a difference. What's your diet like?

Make sure to frequent the D&S forum as well. There are a ton of really smart people that post there and the FAQ is a wealth of information.

My diet as it is now

whey protein shake (400 calories) x 3 a day
dinner (some type of meat & veggie)
fruit throughout the day

I'm 26

My diet as it is now

fruit throughout the day

I'm 26

OK, you definitely need to check out the D&S forum.

How do you plan on increasing your calories? What type of food do you plan on eating?

My diet as it is now

fruit throughout the day

I'm 26

You'd be better off figuring out a better long term diet instead of trying to go on a calorie binge for a few months. You should go read the Diet/Supplementation Discussion section's FAQ and if you have any more questions, post a thread in there.

OK, you definitely need to check out the D&S forum.

How do you plan on increasing your calories? What type of food do you plan on eating?

eating more protein shakes? (2 more would add another 1,000 calories and 100 grams of protein)

eating peanut butter and beef jerky for snacks.

steak, potatoes, 4 litres of milk a day, lots of complex carbohydrates, chicken, cottage cheese. pasta, cruciferous veggies. after each work out eat a meal high in carbs/calories/protein

For a beginner and skinny guy like you seem to be 10-15kg in 3 months are possible.

Looks down at late breakfast of 500g. chicken, half a head of broccoli, 2 tomatoes, a mango, 3 large snack pebbers, 150g. of mushrooms, 2 onions, 3dl. bulgur (supposedly a serving for 4 people), parsley and sour cream...

Not gaining btw, and not really trying to.

If you really want to get strong and gain weight id suggest you pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Then go over to StrongLifts.com and read some of his articles on gaining weight/eating.

If you really want to get strong and gain weight id suggest you pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Then go over to StrongLifts.com and read some of his articles on gaining weight/eating.

Listen to this. If you're new to lifting (or new to lifting seriously) this will set you up for success.

I have put on 18kg = 40lb in 6 -8 months after 2 years of inactivity.
get some creatine and you are good to go.

Back