Possible to transition from armbar/guard to armbar/mount?

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I'm not able to go to BJJ for a short while because I am quite busy, but I am wondering if it is possible to fake or lock an armbar from guard and the guy posts/leans on you that you that you can spin your other leg over their head and lock in an armbar from mount. Was just thinking this, I am sure other people have also thought about transitions outside of BJJ while walking or waiting or something.

To be more clear, I lock in a regular armbar from guard but its not locked in at the right place and the guy uses his other arm to form a gable grip to help stop me from locking it in. Is it possible/useful that I throw my leg over his neck and then do an armbar from mount except he is facing downward instead of up?

Personally thinking again, I think its better used if possible from a triangle as it seems more well suited, but then again, if you have someone in a triangle position, I am guessing you want to stay in it rather than risk him escaping the armbar from mount attempt.

Thoughts?
If it is possible and is actually used, can someone post a video of it happening?

Yeah, if you go for an armbar from guard and he stacks you to defend, you can underhook his leg and do sort of a flower sweep and finish the armbar from mount.

Or you can extend your body backward, come out from underneath and finish the armbar belly down with your opponent face down.

The rules state no neck cranks except Men's Advanced and up, per the website, so, I guess it would be illegal, yes.

If he'd even pretended it was an ezekiel or something, then he would be okay, but as shown, I would have called it an illegal neck crank.

Just my opinion, not a grapplers quest employee or ref!

Take care,

Oli

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think the mechanics of an armbar from the guard or from the mount would be the same.

Back