possible staph infection

spaceman82

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
i've got what looks like an inflamed pimple on my knee and am worried that it might be staph. are there any signs that i can look out for to tell if it's staph or just some kind of skin irritation? also, should i just put some neosporin on it and see if it goes away in the next couple of days - or is it worth getting in a little trouble at work even though i'm not sure if it's anything serious?

Neosporin won't do anything if it's staph.

Does it itch? Has it grown?

Although there's no way to know for sure until you go to the doctor and get it lanced and cultured, it's probably some type of staph. I'd stay off the mats and go to the doctor--speaking from experience, those things can get out of control quickly. It's too late for neosporin.

i just noticed it today, so i'm not sure if it's growing. it doesn't itch, though - but it is slightly painful when touched, about like a pimple would be i guess. for the neosporin, i was thinking that it would be gone in a few days if it's just a regular skin infection but would be the same or larger if it was staph - and then i would know whether i need to go to a doctor or not. i don't want to wait and let it get out of control - but it's quite hard for me to take off work to see a doctor.

i just noticed it today, so i'm not sure if it's growing. it doesn't itch, though - but it is slightly painful when touched, about like a pimple would be i guess. for the neosporin, i was thinking that it would be gone in a few days if it's just a regular skin infection but would be the same or larger if it was staph - and then i would know whether i need to go to a doctor or not. i don't want to wait and let it get out of control - but it's quite hard for me to take off work to see a doctor.

Maybe there's a clinic that's open outside of normal business hours? I would also mention to the clinician present that you're a grappler.

Maybe there's a clinic that's open outside of normal business hours? I would also mention to the clinician present that you're a grappler.

you might be right. i just drew a line around it to see if it grows - and i'm going to ask around about a clinic that i might be able to go to outside my working hours if it does.

i'll definitely mention that i'm a grappler as well. thanks for the tip.

does it matter that the pimple/sore is not really open? just has a little white tip at the end...

you might be right. i just drew a line around it to see if it grows - and i'm going to ask around about a clinic that i might be able to go to outside my working hours if it does.

i'll definitely mention that i'm a grappler as well. thanks for the tip.

does it matter that the pimple/sore is not really open? just has a little white tip at the end...

I've had both MRSA and regular ol' staph, and they both started that way. For me, the abscess started to form after the white tip was popped. With the MRSA, by the time it was all said and done, I could stick my index finger up to the first knuckle in the hole left in my leg. I think the clinic I went to prescribed the wrong type of antibiotics (I don't think they realized it was MRSA), which is how that situation got so bad. That's why I mentioned that it's important to mention your grappling background--that should let the doctor know that they should test your infection.

I used to get pimples on my knees when doing no-gi. It was never staph, just regular old pimples.

Now I always wear knee sleeves when doing no-gi.

i had it earlier this year on my cheek. it looked like a normal pimple no head on it but after a couple days the side of my face started to swell. Doctor gave me a cream antibiotic and an oral.

i had it earlier this year on my cheek. it looked like a normal pimple no head on it but after a couple days the side of my face started to swell. Doctor gave me a cream antibiotic and an oral.

How long before it starts to progress? From the time to you notice the "pimple" to the time it swells?

I've got these pimples too they are staying for months , or untill i accidently destroy them by rolling than they come back uglier or become scars , i also had huge swellings in my arm on 2 differen locations , the doctor said it were just my lymph nodes.
This all suddenly started when i frequently rolled nogi.

When you have staph how long does it take for something to happen , and what actually happens??

I've got these pimples too they are staying for months , or untill i accidently destroy them by rolling than they come back uglier or become scars , i also had huge swellings in my arm on 2 differen locations , the doctor said it were just my lymph nodes.
This all suddenly started when i frequently rolled nogi.

When you have staph how long does it take for something to happen , and what actually happens??

It's got a lot of advertising obviously, but they have a lot of good info here:
Staph Skin Infections - Symptoms, Causes & Prevention of Staph Infections

Neosporin won't do anything if it's staph.

Does it itch? Has it grown?

efficacy_pic1.gif

Why won't Neosporin do anything against staph? Maybe against MRSA it will be less effective, but it certainly seems effective against topical staph (staph-infected wounds might be a different story).

Hey buddy im gonna tell you somethin and listen well.

I had staff that went into my buttocks and pelvic area and formed abcess. I was in the worst pain of my life. I felt like i was dying alive. The pain was horrible. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because of abcess. Just be lucky you dont have to go tp the hospital, get a tube put in you, and stay on antibiotics for 2 months while now, i hurt when i run hard because of how weak my muscle got.

So be lucky that you only have a pimple, but if it does so get in your bloodstream and settle down and form abcesses, god help you. I would rather do anything but that again. So just get it treated because i know how bad it can effect you if you dont. PLEASE PLEASE dont mess with staff or MRSA. it almost killed me. GO TO THE DOCTOR ASAP.

but dont panic. If you start to hurt so bad somewhere that you feel like your dying, go to the hospital. but you wont feel that. just get it treated.

Take a perma-marker and draw a circle around it. If the swelling continually grows beyond the circle go to the doctor.

it was just a false alarm i think. the spot was swelling when i first posted, but that went away after i put neosporin on there for a couple of days. i also did the marker thing and watched to see if it grew, but it actually got smaller and seems to be healing now (knock on wood). with that said, if it had gotten any bigger, i was gonna head straight to the doctor since some of the stuff i saw online about it was really scary/gruesome - really had me freaked out and i'm going to be more careful about hygiene from now on. thanks for all the help/advice/concern.

Fuuuuuck dude I live in fear of staph. Scary shit. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back