Possible habitable zone planet is a mere 12 light years away

The fastest we have ever went is 1/500th the speed of light. Say we come up with some brilliant tech and get to 1/100th... That seems unlikely, but IdK. That might be possible.

Anyways, thats 1200 years. So somehow you have to create a self sustaining space craft that feeds and produces waters for many generations. Not to mention all the other dangerous obstacles.

I hate people that burst the cool bubble such as this, but I'm sick and I felt like being that guy today.

The fastest we have ever went is 1/500th the speed of light. Say we come up with some brilliant tech and get to 1/100th... That seems unlikely, but IdK. That might be possible.

Anyways, thats 1200 years. So somehow you have to create a self sustaining space craft that feeds and produces waters for many generations. Not to mention all the other dangerous obstacles.

I hate people that burst the cool bubble such as this, but I'm sick and I felt like being that guy today.

you speak reality - might as well believe in dec 21 if you think we're ever going to go to any of these places.

I don't think anyone is realistically planning on actually going there. From what I understand they just want to eventually be able to observe and study it from some type of deep space telescope.

lol one of these planets shows up every few months.

Its always a "possible" habitable zone and than interest in it just fades from existence never to be heard of again.

Now we only need to discover how to warp through immaterium, Right? :p

I don't think we would be welcome anywhere especially knowing we can't take care of our own planet. We would probably have to force our way in due to our odd nature. :icon_chee

A mere 12 light years? We can't figure out how to get from LA to England in less than 16 and maybe even more hours, how the fuck do you expect us to travel at the speed of light.

^ But galactically speaking 12LY is nothing; the Milky Way is 100,000–120,000 LY in diameter. So the excitement isn't about going there, but maybe being able to observe something that is relatively close by.

I have to say 12 light years could be achievable in less then 100 years? I will be long dead by that time most likely. The science would require us to bend space time. What does that mean we may through quantum science be able to send messages and maybe in the far future people over light years if not hundreds of light years. Its not as far off an idea then people think its due to reversing the logic about the energy needed to create a quantum time machine to slow or reverse time, this allows for nearly infinite speed over great distances. Basically the idea is to bypass space time so the quantum signal is able to appear almost instantaneously in two places at once. We could create communication devices that can allow for point to point communications over lightyears of space. Of course you have to hope the aliens on the planet have the ability to receive and understand the message? It crazy science and MIT scientist believe they have figured out a way to do it sometime in the near future.

Instead of all this spaceship nonsense and crappy death star's, we should be finding ways to tap into infinite energy.

Light Hawk Wings:

Zslhw.jpg

Travel to Saturn in a mere five seconds, or 1060 times FTL :cool:.

"The Light Hawk Wings are primarily a defensive shield capable of repelling virtually any attack. They can also be used as an offensive weapon with vast results, but this is not their intended function. The true nature of the Light is they are our universe's manifestations of energy from a higher plane of existence."

I have to say 12 light years could be achievable in less then 100 years? I will be long dead by that time most likely. The science would require us to bend space time. What does that mean we may through quantum science be able to send messages and maybe in the far future people over light years if not hundreds of light years. Its not as far off an idea then people think its due to reversing the logic about the energy needed to create a quantum time machine to slow or reverse time, this allows for nearly infinite speed over great distances. Basically the idea is to bypass space time so the quantum signal is able to appear almost instantaneously in two places at once. We could create communication devices that can allow for point to point communications over lightyears of space. Of course you have to hope the aliens on the planet have the ability to receive and understand the message? It crazy science and MIT scientist believe they have figured out a way to do it sometime in the near future.

if we had the same amount of money in our space program threw out the moon landing we would have probably have made it to there. They said mars in 1970s, but the money going to nasa was huge. If we put that kind of money we see into the war into nasa damn i say less then 50

Nasa is looking at the science of warp drive, they believe it could be done. but currently has a huge flaw in that it seems would build up energy in the warp bubble while traveling. The flaw in that is that it theoretically causes an explosion of unknown strength outwards from the warp bubble.

I would imagine that even if the get around that still many other problems before completion. IF this gets completed then wouldn't take too long to travel that distance. But it is currently a huge IF imo.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/warp.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/29/nasa-is-actually-working-on-a-faster-than-light-warp-drive-but-it-might-blow-up-any-planet-it-travels-to/

it would make sense that most stars have planets orbiting them. i was just thinking about this the other day

Haven't we been observing quite a few new habitable zone planets as of recently like kepler-22b and many others? Also something to put this into perspective though, the nearest star to us is Alpha Centari which is approximately 4.3 light years away. That's roughly 25 trillion miles, if I remember correctly. Also recall that, as far as we know, the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe. So unless we can discover wormholes, traveling to such new planets really isn't plausible. And there are quite a few other problems that we would encounter even if we were able to reach the speed of light and get to this planet in 12 years.

We don't even know how to prevent bone loss. Astronauts after 2 years would come back like Samuel L. Jackson in Invincible.

We don't even know how to prevent bone loss. Astronauts after 2 years would come back like Samuel L. Jackson in Invincible.

Sure we do, you just spin the spacecraft to simulate gravity.

Still that's a long way to go, and there's no guarantee a planet in the habitable zone is actually habitable. We must be at least a hundred years from actually reaching another solar system, but it's still interesting stuff.

Back