1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Positivity

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by GSP_37, Oct 31, 2020.

1. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Do you feel you would be significantly different, maybe more successful, if you were raised surrounded by positivity rather than constant negativity and put downs? If you didn't have all sorts of negative baggage in your head, could you focus better? Be more relaxed and cheerful? Could you have more peaceful leisure time to think up ways to enjoy life better?

I know some people where I have a strong feeling they had great positive parents, teachers, peers. They just seem like blue skies and cool breeze to be around. You never hear them say anything negative about anyone. You never hear them complain about anything. They just always seem cheerful and friendly.

On the opposite end, you know people who are so hostile no matter what, no matter how insignificant something is, they want to bite your head off, chew it up, and shit it out, then tell everyone about it. You can't help think those toxic shits must have had the worst family upbringing and have nothing to look forward to each day. They seem to enjoy making others miserable like them. Reminds me of a Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends episode where Green Goblin tries to make everyone ugly and green like him.

When I see people at the store and they have this disturbed serious look, I suspect something really bad happened to them to make them like that.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  2. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Arqueto likes this.
  3. Diogenes of Sinope Red Belt

I highly suggest you read the books "The Luck Factor" and 'The As If Principle" By Richard Wiseman

very insightful stuff on how positivity can change your life. And its all research-backed

cliffs:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Ladder Master and GSP_37 like this.
  4. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

I had a co-worker who decided not to attempt something because she felt she wasn't smart enough. I'm guessing older siblings or parents instilled that negativity in her head. Or maybe it was just the fact she got bad grade in a particular class.

5. Alphaboy Gold Belt

This is oddly specific.

I think that's the case many times. There are people who came up in the most negative environments and flourished... not always of course. Some of the most cheerful people you'll ever meet have been through hell and back.

Outward appearances aren't always a reflection of what's inside, especially when you're drawing that conclusion from total strangers. This is why the phrase resting bitch face is a thing

Sakurabaism likes this.
  6. WaylonMercy5150 Gold Belt

I prefer negativity as it tends to to make people more vulnerable and easier to take advantage of.

7. Arqueto Luminous beings are we.....not this crude matter

You sound terrible.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  8. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Someone along their journey of life must have influenced them positively to keep plugging away and blocking out the bad shit.

If all you knew was war and destruction and misery from childhood, you'd probably think that's normal and wouldn't try to get away from that or change things.

9. Diogenes of Sinope Red Belt

watch the 2nd video I embedded. Wiseman explains how the concept of "we are defined by our past trauma" is detrimental to our mental health because it fixates its hold on us. If you act as if you are the person you want to be, you can break the hold.

GSP_37 likes this.
  10. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Negative energy is still energy nonetheless and has been proven to be just as as effective as positive energy. Revenge especially, is a very powerful motivator.

Alphaboy likes this.
  11. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

But we're not Darth Bane from Star Wars books.

If someone wants to motivate me via negative energy, they can fuck off and not have anything to do with me.

12. Sakurabaism Black Belt

You're defining energy as some sort of a fantasy magical substance. The thing is you don't know what's on people's head. We're all wear masks everyday, nobody show their true nature in social settings, you're just assuming those great people have a good early life based on their demeanor.

13. RetiredSlave Red Belt

Neutrality - gold medal

Positivity - silver medal

Negativity - bronze medal

The winners if the mind state Olympics since inception.

14. gspieler Silver Belt

I prefer to be on an even keel, myself.Or rather, slightly on the positive side. But I don't seek to be in a state of jubilation. It seems to have a way of balancing out, and I'd rather avoid big mood swings.

RetiredSlave likes this.
  15. SalvadorAllende Yellow Card Yellow Card

I was pretty negative growing up. Everything was shit for me back then.

Now I'm probably the most positive person you will meet. All people I know tell me that.

It's not that I predict positive outcomes for everything that happens around me but I know for certain that everything is going to turn out fine at the end even if the results are not the ones you are looking for.
    Even when things go south 99% of the time it does not matter. Unless someone dies or something. I don't take life too seriously.

For the record.. my whole family in general had the same evolution.

16. SalvadorAllende Yellow Card Yellow Card

I don't think it's blocking.

I think it goes more with accepting that those things exist and pulling in the opposite direction.

17. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

That's right, I'm just assuming. It is possible they are just good at acting cheerful and hiding their true bad intentions. It's possible after many more interactions and seeing a larger sample size of their true selves, maybe I'd come to a different conclusion.

18. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

For me it is blocking out. I don't need worthless bad shit in my head and worrying what someone would shit talk if I did this vs. that. Similar to people spreading superstitions. I don't need to be thinking what if this if I do this late at night or whatevers. I'd rather have 100% of my brain thinking about what I'm doing when I'm doing it. No useless distractions.