Positive Encounters with People from Other Cultures

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Sometimes the internet feels like a racist/ethnocentric/xenophobic place. How about we share some stories in which we interacted with people from different cultures and it turned out really awesome.

I was interviewing people from Israel and Palestine for a college paper I was writing. I sent emails asking for people to interview. Both Israelis and Palestinians got back to me immediately and went out of there way to find time to meet with me, both invited me to their homes to eat dinners with their families, both treated me with nothing but hospitality and did everything in their power to make sure I wrote a really good paper (I got an A btw).

The south catches a lot of shit, but they are by far the most polite and welcoming people you will ever meet. One of the most pleasant people I have ever met is a Texas police officer that was pulling me over.

I've had positive encounters with English, French, Slovenian, Russian, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Nepali, Cambodian, Malaysian, Indian, American and Canadian cultures. More than that, too.

If you meet more than a couple of people from a certain culture and don't have a positive experience with one of them, there's probably something wrong with you.

Too many positives to mention. Canadians, though, have been a rude exception - on the internet and IRL.

I met a Grey and he (it) turned out to be a the nicest experience. I learned to telepathically,... well he instilled it on me for the time being so I didn't really learn it,... communicate and even had a nice vegan dinner before he took me up on an inter-dimensional space travel to the Nubu Galaxy and back...

Wait, wrong thread; sorry.

Last edited:
Sometimes the internet feels like a racist/ethnocentric/xenophobic place. How about we share some stories in which we interacted with people from different cultures and it turned out really awesome.

I work in a company with 15 nationalities. It doesnt matter what culture/country they came from, i hang out with people who shares the same interests as me...you just have to be sensitive when talking about religion/politics/ or the host country. Not that they would be offended, i just dont want to look like an ass.

Weareallone.jpg

Pretty much all of them, for me. People are douchebags in pretty much equal amounts across races/cultures, I find. Its generally a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone else.

I've grown up in Toronto, which has to be one of if not the most multicultural city in the world. I've been exposed to dozens of different cultures and and great experiences with people who hail from all over the world. This really is a great city for culture, music, food, but especially gorgeous women. There's always gonna be assholes anywhere you go, but most people are good. Honestly I think the whole online xenophobic thing stems from the fact that a lot of these guys are socially awkward and can't relate to other people IRL.

I feel like D-bags from cultures across the world kind of wreck it for the other 90% of the world who are just pretty much, nice normal people.

The Sikhs that I have encountered have always been so awesome and altruistic that they make me feel like a giant piece of shit in comparison.

As a language teacher, I've met many people from all corners of the earth. One that sticks in my mind was this.

I remember back in England, I was teaching English to Saudi Arabian military personel, I was expecting to walk into a classroom full of hardcore jihadists, but they were really nice, gentle, funny and warm. They showed me photos of their weddings and families and really appreciated my lessons, too. They even brought me back souvenirs from when they visited their home country.

I get usually get along really well with Columbian, Turkish and Swedish people.

Met and made a friend with someone from Germany. Realized that yes we are that stupid and lazy here in America and it isn't just me.

I've traveled a lot, and just about every place I've visited I've had positive encounters with people from that culture. I met a student from Afghanistan when I was in central Asia. He was top of his class in college, probably not an accurate representation (at least education wise of the average Afghani), but was a real nice and amiable.

I met someone that was a female to male transgender. Funny thing is, I never would have suspected they used to be a girl until they said something about it. He was kind of short, stocky, and had facial hair. Looked like an average dude, just hanging out with one of the guys.

Too many to count. Especially when you live in a very multicultural area. There are assholes and really nice people in every culture.

The south catches a lot of shit, but they are by far the most polite and welcoming people you will ever meet. One of the most pleasant people I have ever met is a Texas police officer that was pulling me over.

Yeah I've found this too. And it doesn't come across as a fake type of nice either. It's a genuine politeness I haven't encountered other places.

Iraqi and Thai soldiers. I had some good times learning about these people from relating to them on a shit head on the bottom rung of the military standpoint. At the end of the day we were just dudes who liked some of the same things

Ive had a positive encounter and negative encounter in almost every culture, country, region etc: I have ever been in. The most surprising though honestly was going to Iraq. Sure there were bad guys there trying to kill us, i get that, but the overwhelming majority of EVERYDAY people I met were super friendly, caring, giving and welcoming. It was amazing.....

I found Canadians to be extremely friendly. I stayed in Canada for 2 months and met lots of people and I couldn't believe how friendly and awesome they were. Some people here seems to have the opposite experience. Americans in the few states I've lived in are generally nice too. Greeks on the other hand, I've met quite a few and most of them were very racist and unpleasant.

Back