Popularity of peak boxing vs Soccer (imo it was as big as soccer)

iwillbebackin3weeks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
or the only combat sport that came close to soccer.

What do you think?

depositphotos_96742176-stock-photo-soccer-ball-with-red-boxing.jpg

What do you think?

If you visit Europe, South America, Africa you’ll see fanatical/tribal football support. There is no sport in the world anywhere near as popular as football. It’s an absolute fact. The team I support in London are shit, not won a trophy for 39 years yet still pull in nearly 60000 fans every weekend. And there are 3 other clubs in London far bigger than us as well

but it was the only combat sport that came close to soccer.

thats just my opinion.
Why would You have an opinion that's obviously wrong...
Most people worldwide just barely know Ali, and if they follow american pop culture like hipsters a lot they probably know tyson and floyd. But that's about it.

Every child and adult outside the states know Messi and Ronaldo.

edit: It's impossible to live on planet earth and not know when teh world cup is on.

What do you think?

depositphotos_96742176-stock-photo-soccer-ball-with-red-boxing.jpg

The answer to your question is yes. It is the only combat sport that comes close.

The popularity is spread out with big events though. Once in a while, AJ will bring 90,000 into a stadium and generate high revenue, but week in week out, football stadiums are being filled with very expensive TV rights.

To put it in perspective, in 2018 out of the top 5 highest paid sportsmen, 2 were boxers and 3 were footballers. The highest paid was PBF, who had one fight while the footballers are playing weekly, including lots of international travel.

No, just no. There's no comparison at all.

Being italian I know what I'm talking about, you have no idea how ingrained football is in popular and local culture, and that's the same way in many european countries trust me.

If you visit Europe, South America, Africa you’ll see fanatical/tribal football support. There is no sport in the world anywhere near as popular as football. It’s an absolute fact. The team I support in London are shit, not won a trophy for 39 years yet still pull in nearly 60000 fans every weekend. And there are 3 other clubs in London far bigger than us as well

Go Hammers.

No, just no. There's no comparison at all.

Being italian I know what I'm talking about, you have no idea how ingrained football is in popular and local culture, and that's the same way in many european countries trust me.

but at its peak, it was the closest.

I know that boxing is still the biggest combat sport, but in the past boxing was a lot more popular.

great picture in the OP, really pulls the whole thread together and gets you thinking about the questions posed

great picture in the OP, really pulls the whole thread together and gets you thinking about the questions posed

I can’t stop laughing

Edit really I can’t.

Second edit. Crap Im crying. The picture and this spoken by a guy in a black turtleneck , standing in front of it at an art gallery keeps flashing in my mind together. Ohh my gosh . Make it stop. The things that tickle us.

Last edited:
And Australia and America have historically never cared much for soccer. Boxing was way bigger in both countries than soccer ever dreamed of being.

I don't think a lot of you realise just how popular boxing was. The heavyweight champ has been the most important figure in sports since the 1920's. Also's the golden era of boxing was in the 20's and 30's not the 60's and 70's. Jack Dempsey was the most popular fighter that ever existed.

I don't think a lot of you realise just how popular boxing was. The heavyweight champ has been the most important figure in sports since the 1920's. Also's the golden era of boxing was in the 20's and 30's not the 60's and 70's. Jack Dempsey was the most popular fighter that ever existed.

So you’re saying that boxing was bigger than football before it was a global game! That’s fair enough!

But if you compare boxing’s golden era with football today, there’s absolutely no comparison, and there’s no real point even discussing it

Last edited:
Back