Popular misconceptions about martial arts?

This is sadly true. I have noticed more of this since the MMA fad. I've always tried to not only train martial arts but actually live like a martial artist, it's more than just kneeing someone in the face, it's about being humble, confident and compassionate in my opinion, but now it's more about being "hardXcore" and being an "ultimate fighter".

Don't make me armbar you bro.

THIS is a common misconception. Martial arts aren't about making you a better person, have more discipline, etc. Just as accounting isn't about being a better person, etc.; it's just about crunching really boring numbers. Discipline, etc. is what religion is for.

Martial means war. Martial arts are about kicking ass and nothing else. There's nothing more to it than kneeing someone in the face.

Brock Lesnar, pre-injury, certainly wasn't humble. He was, however, the best martial artist on the planet - no one else could kick his ass.

Things that mix building character with martial arts aren't martial arts. They're just a bastardized combination of religion and martial arts.

When I go to a karate class, I don't give a flying fuck about discipline or morals. I want to learn how to brutally KTFO someone or snap their arm in half.

Training methods, focus, and competitive rulesets make a difference. "Nothing more" is at best misleading.

Martial arts are purely based on rulesets. Without rule sets, every martial art would basically look the same.

EG Make the rules of BJJ, and let people adapt to that rule set independently in 2 different countries for 100 years. 100 years later, it'll probably look the same in both countries because what works, works.

I never claimed everything was born there merely that the focal point of martial arts is China and the orient as mostly everything either orignated there or is an offshoot of some asian style or another.

Obviously things like boxing or some forms of Wrestling are exceptions.

No fucking way.. Savate, boxing, wrestling, catch wrestling.. Every country has its own martial arts.

Then stuff like knight martial arts, modern warfare, etc. is all western.

The only reason China and the Orient have martial arts mysticism about them is because they started making martial arts movies (instead of normal action movies like we make) in the 50s.

China definitely has a strong history of martial arts but to claim it as a focal point is absurd. Martial arts are practically non-existant in China today and martial arts used around the world did not originate there. Note that things that don't work in kicking ass aren't martial arts; they're choreographed ballet kicks.

If China, as you say, is the focal point of martial arts then where are all their martial artists? Why aren't most martial artists in the UFC Chinese?

Last edited:
Lol wut? I'm all for pointing the finger and laughing at ineffective bullshit, but blanket statements like that are just ignorant.

There is a lot of footage of karate kicking some serious ass and some footage of TKD not sucking so badly.

I've heard from a a soldier stationed in Korea, and even my own Muay Thai coach claim the ROK army's use of TKD is fairly devastating. Then again, everyone I've talked to states the ROK army is crazy.

If China, as you say, is the focal point of martial arts then where are all their martial artists? Why aren't most martial artists in the UFC Chinese?
Because they fight in China, and other areas of Asia and Europe mostly.

No matter what the martial art is, people still manage to call it Karate.

"So how's your karate going?"

"It's called Mua...aw fuck it. Karate's great, I'm a green belt."

Hahaha, I got a laugh out of this one, I feel your pain man.

THIS is a common misconception. Martial arts aren't about making you a better person, have more discipline, etc. Just as accounting isn't about being a better person, etc.; it's just about crunching really boring numbers. Discipline, etc. is what religion is for.

Martial means war. Martial arts are about kicking ass and nothing else. There's nothing more to it than kneeing someone in the face.

Brock Lesnar, pre-injury, certainly wasn't humble. He was, however, the best martial artist on the planet - no one else could kick his ass.

Things that mix building character with martial arts aren't martial arts. They're just a bastardized combination of religion and martial arts.

When I go to a karate class, I don't give a flying fuck about discipline or morals. I want to learn how to brutally KTFO someone or snap their arm in half.

So much gold in here. I almost stopped reading after the first sentence..

Some gems:

"Martial arts aren't about making you a better person"

"Martial arts are about kicking ass and nothing else"

"Brock Lesnar is the best martial artist in the world"

"When I go to a karate class, I don't give a flying fuck about discipline or morals. I want to learn how to brutally KTFO someone or snap their arm in half"

You clearly are an immature punk, not going to try to debate with a 17 year old who has been training for 2 weeks and learned an armbar and now thinks he is the toughest kid in his highschool. If you really believe all that you said I truly can say that I pity you.

First Martial Art = Throw Rock. Everything else evolved from that.

As a layman until recently (5 years or so ago) here were my main misconceptions:

1) Grappling / BJJ is invalid in a street fight.
- As a practictioner of another system, we would justify what we did by saying "If you go to the ground, you're toast. Their friends would football punt your head or you don't know what's on the ground when you land". Really, grapplers are better suited to determine IF the fight should go to the ground. They aren't going to go the ground (on purpose) if there are multiple opponents or if they are walking on broken glass.
- Also, they will have a much better chance of surviving the fight without a lawsuit than a boxer who busts someone's nose. Putting someone to sleep (as long as it's not an eternal sleep) is relatively harmless but diffuses the situation quickly and with minimal damage to the attacker and the defender.

2) Any traditional martial art is nonsense.
- Personally, I feel that now as long as you know how to punch/kick/throw and you have aggression behind it - you'll win in most 'street' circumstances. Aggression makes up for a lot of technique when it counts.

3) Conceptual Teaching
- I have used and have seen this done, but it doesn't hold up against 'live training'. For example - I can very well say that using a fuk sao at the same time as a chung choie is the same as 2 cars going 20mph, hitting head on, is like a 40mph collision. The concept makes sense - I am pulling someone toward me at the same time I am punching them. The problem is getting this in a 'live' environment with a fully resisting opponent is a damn sight harder than the explanation leads someone to believe.

- So I tell people who ask my advice on where to train, "Go try a class, if they give a lot of metaphors instead of training, chances are you're going to get in shape, but the chances of you learning something you can use to really defend yourself is probably small."

4) Martial Arts is for self defense.
- Not anymore. With the rise of MMA and the sensationalism of BJJ people are looking more and more into MA as a way to get in shape or just to learn how to fight.
- I originally thought of MA as a last bastion for basically good people who may or may not have confidence issues. This gives them a place to be accepted.
- Not necessarily so for MMA gyms and I understand why - they are trying to make fighters. And I can't speak for all gyms, but the ones I have seen have no "code" to live by other than win. They foster competetion but are completely devoid of brotherhood if you're not a fighter.

5) People who teach martial arts are masters of their craft.
- Since 'awakening' I have seen that a lot of instructors say they did "X" but really they just did a 3 hour seminar.

6) All martial arts decended from Shao Lin.
- I had never heard differently though I had heard that shao lin kung fu is the parent of all martial arts multiple times.

That's about all I can think of for now.

So much gold in here. I almost stopped reading after the first sentence...

You clearly are an immature punk, not going to try to debate with a 17 year old who has been training for 2 weeks and learned an armbar and now thinks he is the toughest kid in his highschool. If you really believe all that you said I truly can say that I pity you.

Martial arts are about fighting. Character development is just a possible side effect. It comes from your home and social environment. You sound like one of those stupid parents that enroll their misbehaving kids in karate classes and expect them to get disciplined.

I noticed that most ego ridden martial artists are those who preach smugly about respect, discipline etc and train in some "traditional" martial art. Its pretty natural to overestimate your abilities when your training consists of doing forms, dead "self defense" drills and thinking you are the deadly.

Ironically, I found that the most respectful guys are those who knee each other in the head on a regular basis. Proper training has a way of beating your ego out of you. The respect and good manners in this case aren't forced, they came by themselves.

Of course, some people are in it because they want to feel tough or like hurting other people. Not everyone is nice. Most of them don't stick around for long, though.

Martial arts are about fighting. Character development is just a possible side effect. It comes from your home and social environment. You sound like one of those stupid parents that enroll their misbehaving kids in karate classes and expect them to get disciplined.

I noticed that most ego ridden martial artists are those who preach smugly about respect, discipline etc and train in some "traditional" martial art. Its pretty natural to overestimate your abilities when your training consists of doing forms, dead "self defense" drills and thinking you are the deadly.

Ironically, I found that the most respectful guys are those who knee each other in the head on a regular basis. Proper training has a way of beating your ego out of you. The respect and good manners in this case aren't forced, they came by themselves.

Of course, some people are in it because they want to feel tough or like hurting other people. Not everyone is nice. Most of them don't stick around for long, though.

Ya you're right, i'm like one of those stupid parents who enroll their kids in Karate, man, what morons! How dare they enroll a child in something that teaches vigorous exercise, respect and confidence!!! Stupid parents !!One!!!111!!!

Also, yes i'm such a traditional martial artists and have never been beaten up, my 6 years of Muay Thai experience and my MMA training all we do is kata.

*rolls eyes*

The stupid parents I referred to are those who expect their karate instructor to raise their kids and instill proper values in them instead of doing it on their own.

Also, if what you say is true, and your training is good you are in the other second in my last post.

Proper training made you respect your martial art, your instructor and your sparring partners. Gauging your skills against others is what made you confident and aware of your abilities. It also made you more motivated to train. That is the way it should be done.

My flame is directed to those kata bitches that can't fight for shit, won't even try, and then go around talking about respect and how martial arts aren't just fighting.

Martial arts are about fighting. Character development is just a possible side effect.

I've noticed it is dependent on the students. Kids = Dicipline & character development. Adults = How to fight.

Generally parents don't want to enroll their kids in something that's going to have them turning into a bully. So there are things like homework, where they have to get a note from their teacher saying they are respectful before they can test for a belt.

But when it comes to adults, you aren't going to be able to affect (effect?) they're choices outside of the class in the way you would a child.

You can say, "Martial Arts is for self defense only" and an adult could just decide to go out and ninja kick someone in the face.

Children look to parents, senseis, sifus, teachers etc and will try to remember what they should do if a situation comes up where there may be a fight.

I do disagree, though, that character development is a possible side effect. In order to become proficient in any martial art, it's going to take certain character traits that will only be reinforced.
- Dedication - Keep going even when you reach a plateau
- Motivation - Get your butt off the couch and go to the class
- Focus - Learn the techniques to a degree where you can apply them
- Respect - Even jackanapses who are just learning how to be more effective bullies are respecting their teacher when they stop and listen to them.

Those character traits are required in pretty much every activity people can engage in.

The problem is that some people are trying to portray martial arts as that shit out of the Karate kid, and get away with their incompetency in fighting.

The more fancy and complex kick = the better it works in a fight

(thats wrong by the way)

Fixed, I refuse to say that TKD is effective but I wasn't thinking about Kyokushin karate
Did you not even read this? What the hell man?

I'd like to hear you say that after having sparred against our internationally competitive team of Kyokushinkais. Facepunched allowed but no fucking protective gear except mouthguard and groinprotector!

If I did spar against Kyokushin guys whose rules would we use kyokushin or bjj? theirs where I could do hardly anything or mine where they could do hardly anything? I highly doubt a "Come to my place and play a new game by my rules" kind of challenge would tell me much.

P.S. Unknot your panties.

Edit* Just thought of another misconception! All traditional martial arts practitioners are polite and respectful.

Putting on gloves and hitting the bag means you can box.

Not any of the effective ones anyways.
San da isn't effective? how Chinese wrestling?
you also realize Muay thai is believed to have a chinese origin dont you?

No fucking way.. Savate, boxing, wrestling, catch wrestling.. Every country has its own martial arts.

My god so many of you can't grasp the English language to save your lives.
Go back and ready my posts SLOWLY before you start rambling off.

Then stuff like knight martial arts,
Uh...Knights are not unique to the western world. Many non western countries had their equivalent.

modern warfare, etc. is all western.
My post or the ones i were addressing had NOTHING to do with modern warfare. It was speaking soley on ancient Arts and their history.

The only reason China and the Orient have martial arts mysticism about them is because they started making martial arts movies (instead of normal action movies like we make) in the 50s.

Oooookaaaay......

China definitely has a strong history of martial arts but to claim it as a focal point is absurd.
Yes it's absurd to note one of the oldest civilizations in the world that has rich arhaeological evidence of martial arts dating back before many others did was the focal point for hand to hand combat.

Martial arts are practically non-existant in China today

Lol???????
and martial arts used around the world did not originate there.
Last time i checked the two most popular arts today originated in the orient.
MT has a Chinese and Indian heritage and Bjj has a Japanese one.

Again i was referring to martal practices in the ancient world not today. How much of your post did you waste arguing against a point no one was making?

:icon_chee

Back