Popular media you never "got" and the reasons why.

Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy
@purple
Reaction score
What's that one thing that was super popular that you never "got"?

Be it music, movies, television, games, sports, etc...

What is it that just never moved you in either way?

For the life of me, I never got into Glam Metal.

That was back in the 80's

Just doesn't interest me...

as far a tech goes, I never owned an iPod. or an mp3 player for that matter. I just use my phone

The Office. I don't get all the fuss.

Expensive MP3 Players
My cheap one works great. If I lose it...not going to be out much.

Xbox360 or PS3
I have a PC. With the exception of a few exclusives I don't feel Im missing out to bad. Ill get one on the cheap some day to play the others.

TS is gay for not liking this IMO

nitro512.jpg

Football.
In America, you're brainwashed from birth to like football.
It's like its own religion, as in it's on sundays and it's everywhere and you can't escape it.
People funnel money into that sport so much, it might as well be a tax.
-And it IS, in some cases, with the stadiums, the parking, the merchandise, the tv, jersey's everywhere, NFL, fantasy football, football video games, college football.
It's gotten to the point even women like football now, even though they subconsciously don't. They HATE football, but all the outgoing meatheats they find attractive like football, so they, over time, have accepted that, and told themselves they better get used to it because it's not going away.
Football is fucking ridiculous in how much effort people put into it.
They throw money at millionaires who work half a year, and drive bentleys and talk about how brave they are for not retiring and staying paid.
I could probably say the same about basketball and baseball to a degree.

So many, but the one that immediately leaps to mind is American Idol. It kicked off when I was still in high school and so many people seem to like it for seemingly far-ranging reasons, but if I even catch 30 seconds of the show I'm instantly reminded of everything about the American music scene and record companies that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. Lol, it really brings out my inner Mr. Magoo. So I turn it off. Additionally, in general, I find that I can't relate terribly well to people who are big fans of the show.

Entourage

A show about a bunch of douche-bags being assholes. I just couldn't understand why this show was so popular.

The movie Avatar, and before you say "The CG was amazing!" I'll say that I wasn't blown away by that either.

instragram is dumb as fuck. How many websites do you need post your every move on while desperately waiting for "likes" and witty comments of approval?

glee.. looks awful. also justin bieber. i dont get the hype. he just seems like a normal kid who sings okay.. nothing really stands out that makes me understand why he is so insanely popular

Expensive MP3 Players
My cheap one works great. If I lose it...not going to be out much.

Xbox360 or PS3
I have a PC. With the exception of a few exclusives I don't feel Im missing out to bad. Ill get one on the cheap some day to play the others.

My only issue with inexpensive MP3 players is the lack of storage space. I don't understand why not a single MP3 player other than an ipod can hold more than 6 songs.

Football.
In America, you're brainwashed from birth to like football.
It's like its own religion, as in it's on sundays and it's everywhere and you can't escape it.
People funnel money into that sport so much, it might as well be a tax.
-And it IS, in some cases, with the stadiums, the parking, the merchandise, the tv, jersey's everywhere, NFL, fantasy football, football video games, college football.
It's gotten to the point even women like football now, even though they subconsciously don't. They HATE football, but all the outgoing meatheats they find attractive like football, so they, over time, have accepted that, and told themselves they better get used to it because it's not going away.
Football is fucking ridiculous in how much effort people put into it.
They throw money at millionaires who work half a year, and drive bentleys and talk about how brave they are for not retiring and staying paid.
I could probably say the same about basketball and baseball to a degree.

Awesome post - very well articulated and at the same time unique. I especially liked the women rant because it was so true. And the whole "brave" thing makes me sick . . . Anything about these athletes being honourable and morally better is borderline offensive and nauseating.

Also, the tribal pregame chants that these guys do . . . It's embarrassing to watch. It just lets me know how out of touch with reality and immature they are. I feel like I'm watching idiots from junior high or high school that never grew up and are taking themselves WAY too seriously. No one really believes the act unless you're under 13 maybe.

Last edited:
Dumb and Dumber. I just couldn't find the comedy in there funny.

Anyone finding dubstep enjoyable deeply, deeply confuses me.

Back