Popular fights that you think are overrated

without the excitement and knowing what happened, lots of fights arent as good - its all about the hype / marketing broskie

Griffin vs Bonnar

Exactly. Truly an awful fight.
It just meant a lot to Zuffa at the time because they were hemorrhaging money into the UFC, and a tasty chunk of the 18-35 male viewer group tuned in for that fight, marking a turning point for the UFC.

Read a bunch of "best UFC/SF/PRIDE/WEC fights" threads and saw some of the fights on Fight Pass. Can't say I was pleased with all of them, here's my list.

Dan Henderson vs Wanderlei Silva 2 - The first round of this fight was pretty awesome but round 2 was just Henderson laying on Wanderlei, not doing anything. Round 3 was pretty average until the finish. Haven't seen this fight in years so my desciption on this might not be accurate lol. Not the worst fight but I think it's overrated.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie - Only about a couple minutes of this fight was exciting, the rest was just 85 minutes of stalling. Don't know why people would put this in their top 10 MMA fight list, I can name 10 PRIDE fights that are better than this.

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 - Was pretty exciting the first time for obvious reasons, rewatched it and realized how boring it was.

Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson - I swear about three people from reddit recommended this fight to me. Already seen it, no thanks lol

What are yours?

I think Saku vs Royce was epic in it's own way because it was a changing of the guard so to say. Saku dismantled Royce going by his rules. He toyed with the gi and frustrated him while in Royce's guard and on the feet. After a couple rounds he started with the leg kicks and the fight really started.

For Saku it was showing that he wasn't afraid of GJJ. The fight was also 1.5 hours so of course it wasn't all action but in how the fight went and what was being proven at the time it was a hell of a chess match.

To all those that said Griffen/Bonner.......Thank you, glad I'm not the only one. Got so fed up with that bald headed fool blathering on about how supposedly great it was.

To all those that said Griffen/Bonner.......Thank you, glad I'm not the only one. Got so fed up with that bald headed fool blathering on about how supposedly great it was.

It was more important for bring asses to seats than it was great. Without the fight and bringing in new fans who knows if MMA would be the same.

Nothing wrong with a all out slobberknocker though but you have to take it for what it is.

The Frye vs Takayama is the same thing. Horrible skillwise but great in action and the delivery of an awesome call of," I think the mouse has turned into a rat".

Back