Popular fights that you think are overrated

Griffin vs Bonnar

Came here to say this.

Sure, it was exciting, in the way that any fast-paced brawl is.

But this fight gets too much credit based just on it's "significance" to the UFC. No doubt, it was entertaining and important. But the best MMA fight ever? No.

Of course Sonnen/Silva 1 had no rewatch value.

It was intense the first time because Silva was on his way to losing, on later watches you know what's coming lol

It's already been said, but Griffin/Bonnar tops my list.

There are fights that are exciting when you first watch them because you don't know the outcome and don't know what could happen next. If it's a fight that goes to decision and you know beforehand (especially if it's 5 rounds), then it gets more tedious on subsequent viewings. You kinda just sit there and want to skip rounds 2-4 sometimes.

Read a bunch of "best UFC/SF/PRIDE/WEC fights" threads and saw some of the fights on Fight Pass. Can't say I was pleased with all of them, here's my list.

Dan Henderson vs Wanderlei Silva 2 - The first round of this fight was pretty awesome but round 2 was just Henderson laying on Wanderlei, not doing anything. Round 3 was pretty average until the finish. Haven't seen this fight in years so my desciption on this might not be accurate lol. Not the worst fight but I think it's overrated.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie - Only about a couple minutes of this fight was exciting, the rest was just 85 minutes of stalling. Don't know why people would put this in their top 10 MMA fight list, I can name 10 PRIDE fights that are better than this.

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 - Was pretty exciting the first time for obvious reasons, rewatched it and realized how boring it was.

Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson - I swear about three people from reddit recommended this fight to me. Already seen it, no thanks lol

What are yours?
\

I dont think so many people ever said these fights were particularly exciting except for anderson chael I. That was very exciting at the time and still is in context.

There isn't a person alive that enjoyed watching Hendo/Shields. You got trolled son.

Jones vs Gus

Sure it was surreal to see someone challenge Jones, but the fight itself was no where near as good as it was hyped at the time.

It was a great fight no doubt, but clearly not amongst the greatest fights of all time.

I really think people put too much emphasis on Gus's irrelevant takedown.

ps. Bones clearly won 3 rounds

There isn't a person alive that enjoyed watching Hendo/Shields. You got trolled son.

Haha, yeah... That card blew. But it did give us the ever so infamous Nashville brawl so it will forever be remembered in MMA history :)

Sanchez vs Melendez. It wasn't an awful fight, but it wasn't that entertaining either.

leo-decaprio-shoulder-shrug.gif

Sanchez vs Melendez. It wasn't an awful fight, but it wasn't that entertaining either.

giphy.gif

Griffin vs Bonnar 1 was great in context, but indeed Dana/The UFC have been hyping it as the best fight ever since then when plenty of brawls were just as good.

Chael vs Anderson 1 is on my top 5 fights that made me go crazy and full "typical drunk UFC casual fan" behavior while watching it live.
Sonnen was 30 seconds away from making history as "that guy who rag-dolled Anderson for 5 rounds, I guess Silva was always overrated/never that good to begin with", but the replay value isn't the best either.
Good "wrestling vs Muay-Thai+BJJ" example though, but again, plenty of better ones...

Back