Pope "One cannot make war (or) kill in the name of one's own religion,"

Lead

/Led/ blanket
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Weighing in on last week's terror in France and the debate over freedom of expression it stirred, Pope Francis said en route to the Philippines that killing "in the name of God" is wrong, but it is also wrong to "provoke" people by belittling their religion.

The Pope stressed that there was no justification for the killing of 17 people in three separate incidents, including a massacre in and around the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. The assailants were reportedly Islamist extremists, some of whom called out "Allahu akbar," which is Arabic for "God is great," as they singled out the magazine, French authorities and Jewish people.

"One cannot make war (or) kill in the name of one's own religion," Francis said on his way to the Philippines. "... To kill in the name of God is an aberration."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/14/asia/philippines-pope-francis-visit/index.html

I'm sure the war room will handle this well

I only heard this on a quick report on the radio and don't have time to read the article.

Is he saying it is morally wrong to poke fun at religion or does he think it should be illegal?

If he is saying it is not a nice thing to do that is one thing. If he thinks it should be illegal, he doesn't believe in the First Amendment - which he may not since it is US thing.

I only heard this on a quick report on the radio and don't have time to read the article.

Is he saying it is morally wrong to poke fun at religion or does he think it should be illegal?

If he is saying it is not a nice thing to do that is one thing. If he thinks it should be illegal, he doesn't believe in the First Amendment - which he may not since it is US thing.

Freedom of speech is not a US thing.

That's not what the bible says.

Gee I'm torn here.

But letting pedos run around freely is something that can be connected with the catholic church/churches.

Anyone seen "Deliver Us from Evil"?

He was a pedo and the church just sent him around, when the cases became known.
Never did a thing about it and he just kept on going.

Ruined so many lives, all because of the silly belief of doing something bad and being forgiven by god, with no consequences.

The article didn't go into detail. It did say he claimed free speech should have its limits, but he may have just been trying not to upset either side.

If 2000 years of previous popes were wrong about this key issue, why aren't they wrong about everything else?

Protip: They were.

Bro haven't you heard? America invented freedom and we're the only country that has it.

It does feel sometimes like many American's think that. I can't really expect that much from a country that has not fully embraced the wonderfulness of Tim Horton's though.:icon_lol:

Well, if the world must endure these Vaticanos, at least, for now, they're preaching some non-destructive shit.

When religion is being interjected into society's legal framework I'd say that's a great time to belittle it. In America that seems to happen frequently.

Bro haven't you heard? America invented freedom and we're the only country that has it.

There may be no one in the WR that lambastes the idiotic notion of "American exceptionalism" more than me.

BUT...

This is one case where the US really does lead the world in something good. No country protects freedom of speech quite like the US. Other developed countries are still wrestling with dumbass libel and slander laws. They jail people for "hate speech" and other nonsense.

Of course there's still a lot of work to be done, but we actually do lead the world in this.

Back