Pope Francis says belief in God not necessary to go to heaven...

I've always believed this. An athiest who helps out their entire life and isn't a dick doesn't get into heaven but a serial killer who repents on death row and "finds god" does? Fugdat.

I always wondered about this when my parents used to make me sit in church. Also, did all the souls that lived before Jesus came go to hell since they couldnt have known about God's son sacrifing himself. What about all the isolated civilizations that never heard about Christianity? Hell must be jam packed

I always wondered about this when my parents used to make me sit in church. Also, did all the souls that lived before Jesus came go to hell since they couldnt have known about God's son sacrifing himself. What about all the isolated civilizations that never heard about Christianity? Hell must be jam packed

purgatory, innit?

As explained within catholicism? Limbo was historically been used as the explanation. There are two separate "limbo's" for virtuous heathens and for dead babies that weren't baptized.

Today their official position is a lot more vague. But there is a general consensus that "God's mercy" somehow takes care of them.

(not all other christians agree with this, of course)

Last edited:
maybe instead of ignoring the parts of the bible that straight up say to stone a man whole lays with another man,

maybe he should let priests get married to stop the whole gay-priest-molesty thing that is fucking killing them. you know, like something that does not go against what the bible explicitly says.

I remember someone asked this years ago. Apparently, all the people who died before Jesus were waiting in purgatory or something during that time. I don't know what the source of that answer was, but the pastor who explained it was an incredibly intelligent and educated man. I've also heard that the people who grew up outside of a Christian influence would be considered innocent like children. Though there are people who would argue that children could be just as quick to go to hell so take that for what you will. I agree with the pope, for once lol. Righteous people don't need labels to decide where they go.

Francis has gone rogue. The Vatican hitmen are going to take him out. Without the threat of eternal damnation, the Catholic Church has very little power.

This is coming from someone who went to Catholic school and was baptized, confirmed, and was forced to go to church (roughly) weekly for over a decade.

So now you can stop beleiving in God without endangering your chances of going to heaven!

Awesome news if you happen to believe in Heaven but not in God.

This Pope is gonna get himself capped if he doesn't cut out this extreme liberalism.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure conservative catholics all over the world are losing it... Next he's going to say that gays go to heaven.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure conservative catholics all over the world are losing it... Next he's going to say that gays go to heaven.

I think they can if they don't do anything about it, according to our colorfully-hatted friends.

I've always believed this. An athiest who helps out their entire life and isn't a dick doesn't get into heaven but a serial killer who repents on death row and "finds god" does? Fugdat.

lol this

Techniqually they can.

Catholcism is against homosexual praxis (ie: boinking). Not against homosexual sexuality in and of itself.

One could be a gay catholic if one were to stay celibat during once entire life.

EDIT: this is the theological standpoint, it might not resonate within catholic communities at large.

I remember someone asked this years ago. Apparently, all the people who died before Jesus were waiting in purgatory or something during that time. I don't know what the source of that answer was, but the pastor who explained it was an incredibly intelligent and educated man. I've also heard that the people who grew up outside of a Christian influence would be considered innocent like children. Though there are people who would argue that children could be just as quick to go to hell so take that for what you will. I agree with the pope, for once lol. Righteous people don't need labels to decide where they go.

Waiting in purgatory for what? Just curious, I know the question comes off a bit rude but they waiting untill everyone else gets judged first or the end of time or something? Or is purgatory their permanent residence? This stuff was boring as a killed but fascinates me now.

Techniqually they can.

Catholcism is against homosexual praxis (ie: boinking). Not against homosexual sexuality in and of itself.

One could be a gay catholic if one were to stay celibat during once entire life.

EDIT: this is the theological standpoint, it might not resonate within catholic communities at large.

I think you're right, but you would have a really hard time explaining this to a hardcore bible thumper lol.

Meh everyone is an atheist to a certain degree, even the most hardcore Christians. For instance, they maybe a believer of the Judeo-Christian god, but they are certainly atheists when it comes to Zeus, Odin, Thor, Krishna, Poseidon, Hades and the Chinese Monkey King.

a

Waiting in purgatory for what? Just curious, I know the question comes off a bit rude but they waiting untill everyone else gets judged first or the end of time or something? Or is purgatory their permanent residence? This stuff was boring as a killed but fascinates me now.

They wait in limbo.

The fate of those within limbo is diffrent depending on various circumstances.

The people of the old testament (ie: Moses, Abraham, etc) whom belived in God, but didn't believe in Jesus, were granted acess to heaven once Jesus himself descended to heaven. Basically, Jesus went and fetched them.

Those after the time of Jesus - both virtious heatens and dead babies - await in limbo until Judgment Day, when they are allowed access into heaven.

Last edited:

From what I was taught in church, people before Jesus' time went to a place called Abraham's Bosom. I guess it was similar to Purgatory and these people were judged on their works, not faith, after Jesus ascended.

Back