Crime Pope apologizes for ‘evil committed by so many Christians’ in Canada’s residential schools

Do you think the Pope did the right thing by apologizing?

• I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/07/25/pope-francis-apology-canada-residential-homes/

MASKWACIS, Alberta — Pope Francis on Monday began a long-sought act of reconciliation in Canada, decrying the country’s “catastrophic” residential school system for Indigenous children and asking for forgiveness for the “evil committed by so many Christians.”

“I am deeply sorry — sorry for the ways in which, regrettably, many Christians supported the colonizing mentality of the powers that oppressed the Indigenous peoples,” Francis said in his native Spanish.

He addressed his comments to several thousand residential school survivors in a grass field encircled by a small grandstand on the first full day of a trip aimed at penitence for one of Canada’s greatest tragedies: a school system that forcibly removed Indigenous children from their parents and tried to assimilate them into Euro-Christian society — often brutally. Students were forbidden from speaking their native languages or practicing traditional customs; many were physically or sexually abused.

“It is painful to think of how the firm soil of values, language and culture that made up the authentic identity of your peoples was eroded, and that you have continued to pay the price of this,” Francis said.

His use of the word “sorry” twice drew cheers and applause. He briefly donned a feathered headdress that was given to him after his remarks, drawing louder cheers.

Francis’s visit is a response to years of Indigenous requests for an acknowledgment from the Catholic Church, which ran a majority of the schools in the 19th and 20th centuries. Though Francis for much of his pontificate had demurred, he faced mounting pressure after Indigenous groups last year said ground-penetrating radar had located hundreds of unmarked graves near former residential schools.

The trip represents a major break from the norms of papal overseas travel, on which celebration and evangelization tend to be the central goals. Francis, 85, opted for only a modest welcome ceremony when landing Sunday in Edmonton, where he was greeted with Indigenous music. He chose not to issue any remarks until he arrived Monday morning in Maskwacis, an Indigenous community surrounded by yellow canola fields in the Alberta prairie between Edmonton and Calgary. The speaker who introduced him said, “Welcome to our land.”

Earlier, Francis — in his wheelchair — prayed at cemetery grounds believed to hold the remains of residential school students, and he visited the former site of the Ermineskin residential school, which opened in 1895 and was operated by Roman Catholic missionaries for much of its existence. It was taken under federal control in 1969; the dormitories were closed in 1970.

Francis hosted an Indigenous delegation at the Vatican in April and apologized then for the “deplorable conduct” of some “members” of the Catholic Church in the residential school system.

Some survivors said at the time that those words did not go far enough. They hoped Francis would address the complicity of the Catholic Church. But Francis’s remarks Monday hit much the same note as the earlier apology, in that he lamented the actions of individuals in the church — not the church itself.

“I ask forgiveness, in particular, for the ways in which many members of the church and of religious communities cooperated, not least through their indifference, in projects of cultural destruction and forced assimilation promoted by the governments of that time, which culminated in the system of residential schools,” Francis said.

When the Presbyterian Church of Canada apologized in 1994, the actions of wrongdoing were ascribed to the church itself. “We confess that The Presbyterian Church in Canada presumed to know better than Aboriginal peoples what was needed for life,” the church said in a statement at the time.

Helen Charlie, 63, a residential school survivor who flew in for the event from Whitehorse, Yukon, said that though the pope didn’t apologize for the broader church, he did apologize in personal terms that she found moving. “It was like he took the blame for everything,” she said after the event, as she moved toward the stage, hoping to meet him. She said she wanted to touch the pope’s shirt, take him close and ask him to pray for the many people she knew who died young — including from alcoholism that she attributed in part to residential school experiences.

“I cried while he talked,” Charlie said.

Many in the crowd wore orange shirts with the phrase “Every child matters,” which are also worn to mark the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and to remember the legacy of residential schools. People carried a 164-foot red memorial cloth with the names of the 4,120 Indigenous children who died or went missing at residential schools.

For Indigenous listeners, the event touched off a reflection that quickly moved beyond the apology to concerns about Indigenous relations with the Canadian government and what might happen next — in 50 years, in 500 years. It made many think of their fragile communities, about addiction and suicide and other aspects of trauma, and how many people who had been desperate for an apology never got to hear one.

“About 80 percent of my classmates are in their graves,” Chief Randy Ermineskin of the Ermineskin Cree Nation said.

“Part of me is rejoiced. Part of me is said,” said Evelyn Korkmaz, a residential school survivor. “But I’m glad I lived long enough to have witnessed this apology.”

Later in the day, Francis returned to Edmonton and visited the only designated Indigenous church in Canada, where compared with the morning he diagnosed the ills of the residential school system more in religious terms. He said that believers had made the mistake of trying to impose “their own cultural models” and that that is not the approach to draw somebody toward God.

“That is not how the Lord operates,” Francis said. “He does not force us. He does not suppress or overwhelm.”

The last residential schools closed in the 1990s, but the colonialist ideas that underpinned the school system continue to provoke a reckoning in the Roman Catholic Church today. Francis, the first South American pope, comes from a continent where Christianity was introduced by conquerors. During a 2015 trip to Bolivia, he apologized for the church’s “grave sins” during colonialism and for crimes committed against native people.

Francis has offered apologies at several points in his pontificate — most notably, before Monday, for sexual abuse in the church. His most personal apology was in a 2018 letter to Chilean bishops, in which he acknowledged what he said were his own “serious errors” in handling a sex abuse scandal. In Ireland that year, after a national reckoning over widespread clerical abuse, he asked for forgiveness for “abuse of power, the abuse of conscience and sexual abuse on the part of representatives of the church.”

The Ermineskin residential school, when it operated, was one of the largest in Canada. In testimony before the country’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission on residential schools, former Ermineskin students described days marked by loneliness, fear and abuse. One said she was told that the Sun Dance, an Indigenous ceremony, amounted to devil worship.

Marilyn Buffalo told the commission that teachers called the children “savage.”

Overcrowding and outbreaks of diseases, including measles, hepatitis and diphtheria, were common. A 1940s survey found that one-third of the students had tuberculosis and suggested students be sent to the hospital. Instead, some were sent home and others were kept under observation.

In 1966, a supervisor at Ermineskin wrote to the chief superintendent of education at the federal Department of Indian Affairs to report that priests were whipping girls with straps on their “bare bottoms.” She included the testimony of two students. She was dismissed.

At least 15 children died or went missing at the Ermineskin school during its operation, according to the National Center for Truth and Reconciliation.

Victor Buffalo was 7 years old and spoke no English when he was sent to Ermineskin. Buffalo, who is a cousin of Marilyn Buffalo, told The Washington Post that school administrators withheld food as punishment and whipped him frequently for speaking his native Cree.

Good. The Catholic church has a lot to atone for and this is one of those things. I'm glad the effort the effort is being made. Can't claim any moral standing if you ignore your organizations abandonment of founding principles.

Dude was on tv like all day here yesterday. Good for him. Those schools were fucked.

But ..... indegenous need to figure some shit out and stop trying to control the rest of Canada. That TRC is insane and those calls to action are beyond insane.

Apologies don't mean anything at this point, plus if you've ever been to the Vatican you would quickly realize the Pope DGAF. Heck the church protects the pedophiles priests to this day.

Shit must have been wild when the Catholic Church was at the height of their power

It is worth mentioning that Pope Benedict apologized in 2009. He didn't travel to Canada to make the apology, but he met with native people. It wasn't really big news at the time.

Pope Benedict apologizes for abuse at native schools

The Vatican says the pontiff expressed his sorrow and emphasized that "acts of abuse cannot be tolerated" at a meeting Wednesday with representatives of native Canadians.

"Given the sufferings that some indigenous children experienced in the Canadian residential school system, the Holy Father expressed his sorrow at the anguish caused by the deplorable conduct of some members of the church and he offered his sympathy and prayerful solidarity," a statement from the Vatican said.

"What we've been trying to do is to bring about healing and reconciliation between the Church, the government of Canada and our First Nations people," he told Canada AM shortly after the meeting.

"There was a feeling that despite the apologies that were offered by the oblates and some bishops, that the Catholic Church as a whole has not recognized the part that we played.

"As a gesture of reconciliation... it was important to hear from the one person who does speak for the Catholic Church around the world, to hear him say 'I am sorry. I feel for what you people have suffered. We hope that we can turn the page and move toward a better future together.'"
https://www.ctvnews.ca/pope-apologizes-for-abuse-at-native-schools-1.393911

Last edited:
There hasn't been a Pope who traveled to Canada to make an official apology.
I just saw you referenced the fact that popes have made official apologies in the past, I just didn't know what brought about the urgent need for a sick and feeble pope to travel to canada to apologies again in person.
I'm not catholic, so I don't really care about the religious aspect. I just don't understand the need for people to repeatedly apologize for the sins of the past.

What brought about this latest urgent need for an apology?
Putting the spotlight on well known crimes by a government doing it's best to illystrate how they're nothing like those darned religous conservatives who were responsible for all of this!

It's Canada's version of trotting out BLM bullshit to influence social politics.

Residential schools were horrific.
Fuck the church and government responsible for this stuff.
These deaths are well known and documented.
It's circus at the end of the day.

I really don't have an opinion on whether he should have made the apology or not because it's not me he's apologizing to. Personally I find this genre of apologies from organizations/countries etc to be nothing more than meaningless kayfabe but if any Native people take some kind of solace from it then it has value. I would just hope that they're shelling out a lot of dough from the Vatican coffers to these people in a way that can make some kind of difference.

However it does rub me the wrong way a bit that this guy is playing all contrite and apologizing for these atrocities in Canada meanwhile he was so cozy with the murderous junta in Argentina with all of their atrocities and has been credibly accused of being complicit in them. I'd like to see some real penance from this fuckin guy specifically and more broadly I feel the Catholic church should be dismantled, with all their wealth redistributed and all pedo priests executed.

I wonder if he really means it or does it to check a box.

DiQ.gif

Last edited:
It is worth mentioning that Pope Benedict apologized in 2009. He didn't travel to Canada to make the apology, but he met with native people. It wasn't really big news at the time.

Pope Benedict apologizes for abuse at native schools

The Vatican says the pontiff expressed his sorrow and emphasized that "acts of abuse cannot be tolerated" at a meeting Wednesday with representatives of native Canadians.

"Given the sufferings that some indigenous children experienced in the Canadian residential school system, the Holy Father expressed his sorrow at the anguish caused by the deplorable conduct of some members of the church and he offered his sympathy and prayerful solidarity," a statement from the Vatican said.

"What we've been trying to do is to bring about healing and reconciliation between the Church, the government of Canada and our First Nations people," he told Canada AM shortly after the meeting.

"There was a feeling that despite the apologies that were offered by the oblates and some bishops, that the Catholic Church as a whole has not recognized the part that we played.

"As a gesture of reconciliation... it was important to hear from the one person who does speak for the Catholic Church around the world, to hear him say 'I am sorry. I feel for what you people have suffered. We hope that we can turn the page and move toward a better future together.'"
https://www.ctvnews.ca/pope-apologizes-for-abuse-at-native-schools-1.393911

evidence that does not fit the sjw movement are not welcomed in canada

I still lol at the Vatican actually CHOOSING a nazi youth member to be pope :D:D:D:D:D
It's not even in the Top 10 for bad shit they've done, but it is one of the funnier ones for me.

Back