*Pop* in elbow during Americana

Europeenne

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
hey guys i looked through all the similar threads and they provided great initial steps

friend and i were rolling after class and he put my left arm in an americana from mount (i'm such a nub) and then what he describes as a "loud ass pop" occurred in my elbow, i really had no time to even tap, it was almost just like a freak accident, as soon as it applied it pretty much happened, i had noticed this same elbow had been a tiny tiny bit sore from arm bar drills and kimuras already, definitely nothing remotely major, but i guess it finally had enough and popped from this americana....

i'm almost 21, no health insurance, and really can't dish $100+ for an xray (that's a month of gym membership ;)!!!)

it's been about 24 hours now and it's still sore, but only really when i move it in an americana type bend/position... i've been icing it regularly and i went out today and bought a heating pad and Tennis Elbow sleeve

should i just be icing it, or also mixing in heating and should i be wearing the sleeve? because i'm confused a lot of people say to only ice the 1st 72 hour period, and wearing the sleeve would lock in warmth and increase blood flow to the area? what's my best plan of attack here?

Ice for the first 48 hours then start applying heat on and off

Obviously take time off and don't stress the affected arm.

Take some NSAIDs

Murrica's health system is a joke. You shouldn't be forced to consult Sherdog because you don't have insurance.

If I know I'm getting caught on any kind of shoulder lock I'm tapping before pressure is applied. There really is little room from ouch to pop.

You should get it looked at. Sell something if you have to.

Yeah, that happened to me once. Give it a week or two, it got better in my case. My arm is fine now, never went to a doc.

Here are some check points.

Check your range of motion
If it's fucked your fucked

See if you can do a push up if it's slightly sore just rest for a little and you'll be fine. Take advil for the tendinitis. Start stretching your arm after about 5 days nothing major just do it- it will help move around the blood.

Here are some check points.

Check your range of motion
If it's fucked your fucked

See if you can do a push up if it's slightly sore just rest for a little and you'll be fine. Take advil for the tendinitis. Start stretching your arm after about 5 days nothing major just do it- it will help move around the blood.

thanks so much for the replies guys, fucking comforting

seems like i can move it how ever the fudge i want, only hurts when i try to fully extend at the point it's almost hyper extended, i can do a push up and again only hurts when i'm coming up and the arm/elbow is extended

X-rays probably won't tell you anything other than it's not a bony abnormality.

Sounds like a minor tendon sprain.

If you go to a doctor, pay the office fee out of pocket, and explain your situation to them, they might give you the bargain treatment plan, circumventing the usual, bill inflating care plan.

Depends on how bad it was. It's happened to me 3 times now. You most likely strained your UCL.

1 time it was better in a couple weeks. ONe of the times it took a couple months for it to be back to normal. Depends on how bad it was, and how well you take care of it.

RIP Europeenne

hey hey hey watch it buddy, i've been watching nothing but dlr guard counter videos the past 6 months

ricardo abreu > ricardo de la riva

the 1 true ricardo

Depends on how bad it was. It's happened to me 3 times now. You most likely strained your UCL.

1 time it was better in a couple weeks. ONe of the times it took a couple months for it to be back to normal. Depends on how bad it was, and how well you take care of it.

did it ever get back to 100% without surgery?

I had similar around November of last year. I kept training and do didn't care for it very well. I'm about 100% now but only since about April.

I had similar around November of last year. I kept training and do didn't care for it very well. I'm about 100% now but only since about April.

so this feeling my last through 6 months rofl...?

it's only been 4 days, my range of motion is there, but still definitely sore in the inner elbow... fml

It did for me, but like I said, I didn't take good care of it and I'm not real young.

Lesson, get it checked out if at all possible and take care of it.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Didn't think it was on and partner was applying it gradually to give me time to tap, before it was on even half way *POP*. No extreme pain, sort of like when you crack your knuckles. Swelled like an egg and was pretty sore to bend in that freak Americana style way if you know what I mean. Went to a doc about 2 weeks after cause it just never really healed, had X-Ray's and they showed nothing - so you're probably fine too. Most likely torn ligaments.

I trained with it pretty much a week after but my inner elbow area has never really been the same because of that. Bear in mind this happened a year ago. Don't train with it at all for a month or so, let it heal 110% or forever have a gammy elbow.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Didn't think it was on and partner was applying it gradually to give me time to tap, before it was on even half way *POP*. No extreme pain, sort of like when you crack your knuckles. Swelled like an egg and was pretty sore to bend in that freak Americana style way if you know what I mean. Went to a doc about 2 weeks after cause it just never really healed, had X-Ray's and they showed nothing - so you're probably fine too. Most likely torn ligaments.

I trained with it pretty much a week after but my inner elbow area has never really been the same because of that. Bear in mind this happened a year ago. Don't train with it at all for a month or so, let it heal 110% or forever have a gammy elbow.

my mate :(

how exactly has it not been the same because of it? what's different as far as your elbow/inner elbow goes

i'm so fucking bummed, i just want to go to class

My arm popped from an armbar in a tournament and then for the nogi tournament right after eventually I lost by armbar to the same arm (my arm was fucked and in hindsight I should have stopped after the initial pop, but I wanted to get my money's worth)

My arm was pretty fucked for a while. I didn't go see a doctor and just dealt with it. I had pain whenever I extended my arm for a while. I couldn't do anything without feeling the pain in my elbow area. Took about 2-3 months for it to feel completely normal. But even now I think my shoulder gets sore much quicker than before it got wrecked.

I've had the same mysterious snap twice too. The first time was when opponent was trying to force an americana and the second time when I was defending an armbar. The locks weren't even "on" but both times my elbow made the same disgusting sound. I never had any sharp pain but it was hard to fully extend my arm afterwards.

Have you tried voodo flossing your elbow? I honestly believe it's the fastest way to get arm straight and back to the mat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgbCDtqdlI

did it ever get back to 100% without surgery?

Oh yea, both elbows are 99% now. The only difference is, that before the injuries. If I was put into that position I didn't even feel pressure on my elbows before the pop. Now, I can feel when that pressure is getting too much. I'm not sure if the injury just made me hyper aware of it, or if it's actually more susceptible.

But in terms of pain, strength, and rolling ability. They're 100%. :icon_chee

You'll be fine, just rest. Unless you're a baseball pitcher you don't need surgery.

Back