Poor pad holding

I agree with @NAKMUAY18
You can see it also on the heavy bag... Some people struggle with the 1-2-kick on the bag and are often forced to push it with the 2, to make room for the roundhouse, or re positioning their feet, adjusting distance, making it a 1-2-0-kick for example

Sorry, but I disagree with the stepping back for the kick. I thought most everything else look pretty good but I'm not with that.

When you hold pads they should act as make shift body parts of an opponent. You mentioned about how when punching the pads that they should be close together rather than hanging them out. That's on the money because when your holding the contact points it should simulate all side of the head, ie jab forehead/face, hook side of the face..........

When punches land on the pads they are a ft or so in front of the pad holder, if you step back your creating another ft of space for the kick that doesn't exist in live sparing/fighting. If the oppo is in a common stance he'll be slightly hunched forward, chin tucked, the makes his body maybe 6inch's further away than his head. If the fighter is used to the pad holder stepping back for kicks, if his opponent doesn't back up from the punches he'll stuff his own kicks because he's used to that extra ft of space. During pad work this encourages fighter to charge forward to cover distance, or punch short so his kicks reach

I hold them a the same way as you but instead of stepping back i just twist my body. It's up to the fighter to maintain his distance. When the fighter gets to a certain level, then I might start stepping back after punches to simulate a retreating oppo, or stepping in to simulate and attaching oppo, but my general is to just twist and simulate and oppo that shells up or checks

Fair points for sure. The step back is indeed to simulate a person moving back (though I didn't state that explicitly in the video, my bad).
As well as I try to get it so the new pad holders have the pads lined up with their body a bit more as opposed to twisting - this will allow them to catch the kick more safely. Last but not least, I find it helps the kicker to both Step in and PIVOT (most newbs do not do this).

That said, when I am holding for my students who are more experienced I don't need to bother with stepping back everytime.

If you watch this video of Bee holding pads, he does it both ways. The very first combo is exactly how you describe it. Around 30 seconds in he has me throw a cross, then he steps back a bit for the kick (not as much as I do in the video)

Thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate it.

Edit: Ya know, the more I think about it (and the more videos I watch), I think I should make a follow up explaining exactly why one might step back (retreating from punches, and to help with hip/foot rotation), and how as a kicker (and pad holder) becomes more experienced they might not, so that the kicker will make the necessary adjustments on their own.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer some constructive criticism!

Last edited:
Fair points for sure. The step back is indeed to simulate a person moving back (though I didn't state that explicitly in the video, my bad).
As well as I try to get it so the new pad holders have the pads lined up with their body a bit more as opposed to twisting - this will allow them to catch the kick more safely. Last but not least, I find it helps the kicker to both Step in and PIVOT (most newbs do not do this).

That said, when I am holding for my students who are more experienced I don't need to bother with stepping back everytime.

If you watch this video of Bee holding pads, he does it both ways. The very first combo is exactly how you describe it. Around 30 seconds in he has me throw a cross, then he steps back a bit for the kick (not as much as I do in the video)

Thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate it.

No big deal, different strokes for different folks. I hold for knees slightly different, but it's me that holds them "not-standard". Nice videos though.

Are we talking about a trainer, or another guy who trains there? Because as a guy who goes to the gym to train, i have no obligation to the others to be a good pad holder. Obviously I will try my best, listen to the preferences of my partner, but its not my job... In the end of the day, i don't give a fuck if i am not a good holder, i don't pay my membership for that. If you don't like it, just go find another holder, or ask your trainer to hold them.

But i agree in the importance of a good holder. Makes a huge difference.

This is the douchiest answer I've ever seen. May as well not waste the other guys time.

This is the douchiest answer I've ever seen. May as well not waste the other guys time.

It's not just pads. Everyone at a gym is relying on each other to improve. You need the tall guy to throw jabs at you, you need the muscle bound guy to grapple with, you need the ultra fast guy to work on your timing, etc.

If you don't care about holding pads for someone, why should they care about anything you want to work on? Your membership doesn't just pay for the coach, it pays for all the benefits of being part of a gym. Otherwise just use youtube videos to train.

If you don't care about holding pads for someone

There is a huge difference between don't care and not been good at it, or been able to do it the way your partner wants you...
I will quote myself: Obviously I will try my best, listen to the preferences of my partner

Imagine you came to the gym i train, hold pads for me...And i don't like the way you do it. It's OK for me to tell you to fuck of the gym? Or would it be better that i just find another pad holder if i am not comfortable with your style?

Again: I never said i don't want to hold pads, or be lazy or not trying to do as you want...but if you still don't like it, what am I suppose to do? Take private lessons?

Hope that's clarified my position...

Last edited:
It's not just pads. Everyone at a gym is relying on each other to improve. You need the tall guy to throw jabs at you, you need the muscle bound guy to grapple with, you need the ultra fast guy to work on your timing, etc.

If you don't care about holding pads for someone, why should they care about anything you want to work on? Your membership doesn't just pay for the coach, it pays for all the benefits of being part of a gym. Otherwise just use youtube videos to train.

Completely with you on this my man. At one point you were one of these SHIT pad holders. No idea why you wouldnt want to help a teammates improve. Guarantee pad holder has no idea they are fucking up. Show them the light and throw a few pointers there way. Honestly doesn't take that much to fix the way they are holding punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. Going the extra mile in turn means they can point out these very same issue with others.

YES, it is annoying pairing up with these lame-brains, but 3 rounds = 9 minutes.. come on now, stop being a douche nozzle

My trainer did one-on-ones with all the new guys entering the gym teaching how to hold pads and throw a jab and a cross-after that you were in the class and learned the mechanics with the help of the trainers and the senior students.

Hey, Bazooka Joe has a video on pad holding that I thought my be helpful to those on this thread:

I got into an argument with a new guy at the gym today.

I basically told him that he really needs to either go away and learn how to hold pads correctly, or ask one of the coaches how to. In my opinion, someone holding pads poorly (for anything, boxing, Muay Thai, MMA etc) will decrease the striker's ability, technique and power by about 60%.

He argued that if you're good enough, it shouldn't matter how your pad partner holds pads.

What's your guys opinion on it? Can a poor pad holder make a good boxer/Thai boxer look bad? Or will their technique and skill override the poor pad holding?

It's a shame, but it appears in many gyms poor pad holders are common.

pad holding is a art in itself.

pad holding is for coaches, not fighters or students

When someone is holding pads for you, they are coaching you, so when you partner up and hold pads for eachother at the muay thai class, thats not the coach teaching you, thats the guy holding pads teaching you. Most gyms are ran this way.

Progress and learn how to hold pads good, have a partner that can do the same, and you can coach yourself.

a shitty pad holder can definitely make someone whos good look like shit, or basically not even really be able to train.

Something worth mentioning regarding a coach holding pads.....to get to a top level, you need to have the same padman all the time, not that you cant have different pad holders and what not, but you should have one that you are very familiar with, and is very familiar with you. If you are able to train daily with this padholder for years, you both become so familiar with eachother, you can freestyle on the pads with attacks counters etc simulating a fight. This level and familairity is something you see thais with alot (no explanation needed) and something you dont see many westerners with. Even training with a guy who is great at holding pads, is a bit awkward your first time because you guys arent used to eachother.

Last edited:

When someone is holding pads for you, they are coaching you, so when you partner up and hold pads for eachother at the muay thai class, thats not the coach teaching you, thats the guy holding pads teaching you. Most gyms are ran this way.

Progress and learn how to hold pads good, have a partner that can do the same, and you can coach yourself.

a shitty pad holder can definitely make someone whos good look like shit, or basically not even really be able to train.

Something worth mentioning regarding a coach holding pads.....to get to a top level, you need to have the same padman all the time, not that you cant have different pad holders and what not, but you should have one that you are very familiar with, and is very familiar with you. If you are able to train daily with this padholder for years, you both become so familiar with eachother, you can freestyle on the pads with attacks counters etc simulating a fight. This level and familairity is something you see thais with alot (no explanation needed) and something you dont see many westerners with. Even training with a guy who is great at holding pads, is a bit awkward your first time because you guys arent used to eachother.
great response, exactly my thoughts on the matter. newbs holding pads is one of my pet hates.

I was aweful at holding pads to start with, I was actually embarrassed that I was holding some of the guys back because I didnt know what to do.
I actually watched enough youtube vids and thought more when I was a pad holder and eventually learnt
Now I hate bad pad holders but Im patient and try and talk them through the process

In my Taekwondo club we have kicking shields, so less of a problem but people still don't angle them properly for kicks. I correct guys every class. Maybe boxing should use kicking shields instead of pads. There are harder versions available

In my Taekwondo club we have kicking shields, so less of a problem but people still don't angle them properly for kicks. I correct guys every class. Maybe boxing should use kicking shields instead of pads. There are harder versions available
Kick shields have a place, but a very limited one.
They are basically walking heavy bags.
I'm literally praying there's less pad work in my new boxing gym. It's the bane of my existence.
If you find a good pad holder i am sure you will change your mind. its a corner stone to forming combinations

I think learning good pad holding is an ESSENTIAL part of becoming a better fighter, and is absolutely something students should learn & help each other with, same with Dutch drills, technical sparring, full sparring etc. I would LOVE to see gyms do regular padwork classes or seminar's.

BUT, I also get crazy frustrated when a less experienced student does a super bad job of holding pads. I'm far from a good practitioner, but I'm in this weird middle ground where I know I'm capable of x, y & z, but not quite proficient enough for my technique to stay 100% when the pads aren't being help properly. I do take it on myself to push the newer pad holders to hold properly when we work together, which is the same way I've learned to be a better pad holder.

There has been a large influx of new students at my gym recently, which means I've had to carve out time, and the money, to take on some private padwork sessions with the coaches to try and keep on top of my progression, so that's a little frustrating, but it is what it is. It makes me a better fighter, so there's that.

If you find a good pad holder i am sure you will change your mind. its a corner stone to forming combinations

But we didn't even use pads, we used our own gloves. Isn't that dumb? The force got negated compared to hitting a pad, or maybe he pushed back with the glove when I punched. Do you know the feeling I'm describing? It's as if the force was working against me instead of through a target.

Especially withr free styling, you really needs a good padholder AND one that you've been with for some time. Usually you hit and they 'catch' it with the pads. So the hitter dictates the session, not the had holder. Very different in classes where the pad holder determines the combinations and pace.

But we didn't even use pads, we used our own gloves. Isn't that dumb? The force got negated compared to hitting a pad, or maybe he pushed back with the glove when I punched. Do you know the feeling I'm describing? It's as if the force was working against me instead of through a target.
That's different, that's drilling with a more realistic apptoach compared to pads. Usually on stuff like splitting the jab or rolling off strikes

Especially withr free styling, you really needs a good padholder AND one that you've been with for some time. Usually you hit and they 'catch' it with the pads. So the hitter dictates the session, not the had holder. Very different in classes where the pad holder determines the combinations and pace.

That's different, that's drilling with a more realistic apptoach compared to pads. Usually on stuff like splitting the jab or rolling off strikes

We did some head movement with those too but I don't get why boxing coaches advocates ducking. What if a guy just punches downwards, in anticipation for my my next ducking maneuver?? he can slip in a hook there to my face. Or an uppercut.

Back