Poor Management of Forests, Not Global Warming, To Blame for Widespread Wildfires

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The take away that you should take from this article is not that climate change is not affecting wildfires.
The take away should be whether or not climate change is affecting the wildfire problem us in the Western States can do things at a state level and there are things we can petition the federal government to do that will decrease wildfires. I think climate change gets blamed because it is this big worldwide phenonom so state politicians can throw up their hand and say there is nothing we can do blame the big corprations. Well as this article shows there are many things we can do as a State to mitigate the spread of these fires.

https://www.westernjournal.com/repo...tm_content=2018-08-08&utm_campaign=manualpost

• Wildfire experts say poor management, not global warming, is the major reason behind worsening wildfires.
  • Forester Bob Zybach warned decades ago that environmental regulations and less logging would make fires worse.
  • The Trump administration is doing more active management of lands, but is it enough?
Bob Zybach feels like a broken record. Decades ago he warned government officials allowing Oregon’s forests to grow unchecked by proper management would result in catastrophic wildfires.

While some want to blame global warming for the uptick in catastrophic wildfires, Zybach said a change in forest management policies is the main reason Americans are seeing a return to more intense fires, particularly in the Pacific Northwest and California where millions of acres of protected forests stand.

“We knew exactly what would happen if we just walked away,” Zybach, an experienced forester with a Ph.D. in environmental science, told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

Zybach spent two decades as a reforestation contractor before heading to graduate school in the 1990s. Then the Clinton administration in 1994 introduced its plan to protect old growth trees and spotted owls by strictly limiting logging.

So it was probably a good thing Trump cut the EPA budget by 30% wouldn't you agree?

Now we can increase the military budget by 10% and fight fire with nuclear powered battle cruisers.

So it was probably a good thing Trump cut the EPA budget by 30% wouldn't you agree?

Now we can increase the military budget by 10% and fight fire with nuclear powered battle cruisers.

You are always thinking outside the box RP. I will relay your recommendation to Central Command next time I am in D.C.

The take away that you should take from this article is not that climate change is not affecting wildfires.
The take away should be whether or not climate change is affecting the wildfire problem us in the Western States can do things at a state level and there are things we can petition the federal government to do that will decrease wildfires. I think climate change gets blamed because it is this big worldwide phenonom so state politicians can throw up their hand and say there is nothing we can do blame the big corprations. Well as this article shows there are many things we can do as a State to mitigate the spread of these fires.

https://www.westernjournal.com/repo...tm_content=2018-08-08&utm_campaign=manualpost

I'll throw out a Devil's Red Herring:
Suppose Global Warming is a thing, and that it's as consequential as GW activists purport it to be. Isn't "but muh state level solutions" essentially a distraction from the larger GW issue? Even assuming states can do more to mitigate wildfires, won't the rise in GW require a commensurate increase in these state-level interventions?

I have been hearing for a while now that wild fires are getting worse because we don't let them burn.

That a Forrest fire is nature's broom.

I got allot of friends who work in logging, and tree service. I think they know what they are talking about.

I'll throw out a Devil's Red Herring:
Suppose Global Warming is a thing, and that it's as consequential as GW activists purport it to be. Isn't "but muh state level solutions" essentially a distraction from the larger GW issue? Even assuming states can do more to mitigate wildfires, won't the rise in GW require a commensurate increase in these state-level interventions?

If the most extreme global warming predictions are real, then the rise in sea levels will be so high this will be inconsequential.

I have been hearing for a while now that wild fires are getting worse because we don't let them burn.

That a Forrest fire is nature's broom.

I got allot of friends who work in logging, and tree service. I think they know what they are talking about.

I hiked the Sheanadoah national park as part of my partial AT hike. I watched over a third of it burn down in 2015 (I think) the ranger found me on the trial. Said you need to get in. He knew I was on it because I had a back country pass. He actually drove me through the fire.

The best part two idiots were caught trying to hike through the fire because they did not want the purity of their hike disturbed.

It can be both.

We are going to need to get used to the paradigm where management will need to change to be effective under climate change. If management doesn't adapt, it will fail.

I hiked the Sheanadoah national park as part of my partial AT hike. I watched over a third of it burn down in 2015 (I think) the ranger found me on the trial. Said you need to get in. He knew I was on it because I had a back country pass. He actually drove me through the fire.

The best part two idiots were caught trying to hike through the fire because they did not want the purity of their hike disturbed.

This really made me laugh, because the post you quoted, I used the phrase nature's broom, which reminded me of a Futurama episode where hippies call putting your hands in your ass, nature's mittens

So I read this post and picture a couple of hardcore hippies, walking with their hands in their ass, into the Forrest fire, smelling their own smug. Lol

Not only did he cut EPA funding, Trump cut the department of the interior's funding as well. The department of the interior over sees the care of national parks. Less funding less fire prevention. Thanks Trump.

Not only did he cut EPA funding, Trump cut the department of the interior's funding as well. The department of the interior over sees the care of national parks. Less funding less fire prevention. Thanks Trump.

Remember when there were no forest fires before Trump came into office

Or just remember, Fire is a natural occurrence, in fact, a necessary one

Remember when there were no forest fires before Trump came into office

Are you claiming cutting funding to the national parks, is a good thing?

Just LOL at posters thinking u need the EPA to thin a forest

Yeah. In CA we have tons of additional fuel for the fires because of bark beetle kill and dead and dry timber all over.

This causes huge flare ups.

Forest management would help if they cleared this stuff out and maintained fire roads on Federal and State land.

No. I’m saying you and anyone thinking it’s a cause for wildfires is an idiot

Forrest fires have been starting ever since there had been forest. Come on man we both know this. My point is we need to manage our national lands better to prevent larger fires if possible. Cutting the funding for the care of out national lands is the opposite of that. I hope that helps clarify my position on the reason I don't approve of the cutting of funds to the interior. There are other reason but they don't really have anything to do with the thread.

Clearly you've never tried to blow up a fire to put it out...

If the most extreme global warming predictions are real, then the rise in sea levels will be so high this will be inconsequential.
Waterfront property here I come.

Clearly you've never tried to blow up a fire to put it out...
Well a well placed explosion would use up all the available oxygen in the area, snuffing the fire out.

Back