Poor Gunnar Nelson, no one wants to fight him.

The unranked (read: never ranked) fighter riding high with confidence coming off a stoppage loss to a lightweght riding a losing streak?

Something like that.

Nelson is awesome, I'm a fan. I'd like to see him fight a marquee name in his division.

Not sure any of that disputes what Petey said. Gunnar is just coming off a fight in Vegas and was expected to fight in Vegas prior to that as well. He's not being coddled or protected, he's just more valuable as a co-main in Europe than he is as the fourth fight on a main card in the States right now.

That's not true, he was called out by Albert Tumenov after his last win against Thatch

Never was huge on Gunnar, but that last win, the way he won, that will give him a shitload of confidence, so give him a big fight already, not the winner of Cot

They should re-make the Laflare or Hathaway fights IMO.

I'm friends with Albert Tumenov on Facebook and he called him out. Not sure if anyone ever saw it though.

Oh shiz Gunnar getting Gunnar'd. Another super dangerous guy with no name recognition calling him out

Seems the general consensus is to give him maia, who am I to disagree!

Any post that tries to write off Bendo as "a lightweght riding a losing streak", needs to look in the mirror and feel ashamed

Let me stop you there. Bendo left his division because he was chased out on a losing streak. That isn't an opinion and its not even subjective - its a fact.

Pettis summarily tapped him. Dos Anjos summarily knocked him out. Then he dropped a decision to Cerrone. What else was there for him at 155lbs?

He's very skilled and a great fighter and lost badly to two of his peers, and dropped a decision to a third. He then fights Brandon Thatch at welterweight because YOLO?

Not sure any of that disputes what Petey said. Gunnar is just coming off a fight in Vegas and was expected to fight in Vegas prior to that as well. He's not being coddled or protected, he's just more valuable as a co-main in Europe than he is as the fourth fight on a main card in the States right now.

Agree with all of that.

I like Nelson, I'm a fan. I want to keep in context who he beat in Thatch...

I would imagine Thatch coming off a stoppage loss to a lightweight on a losing streak (two losses removed from his title loss, to be clear) wasn't a very high caliber opponent for Gunnar.

Let me stop you there. Bendo left his division because he was chased out on a losing streak.

Let me stop you there. Bendo is in the conversation for GOAT LW, with Frankie (2 close decisions with him) and Penn.

The ball bouncing the wrong way on a few decisions (everyone thought he won the Cerrone fight) doesn't mean we get to write off Bendo as some kind of washed-out LW.

Let me stop you there. Bendo is in the conversation for GOAT LW, with Frankie (2 close decisions with him) and Penn.

You couldn't sell that to anyone. Make a poll, I double dog dare you. I don't think you can get 30% to agree.

It's embarrassing to compare him to Penn. Bendo is famous for gritty close decisions over Edgar. When he faced his other peers in Pettis and RDA they literally ran him over, no big deal style.

To put icing on it, he got chased out of the division when he dropped a third loss to Cerrone. You can explain away one. Try explaining away two, you'll lose most people. Explaining away all three? How?

... who is arguably the LW GOAT.

Argued in your head. Make a poll, see if your peers on here agree.

I think you'll find its hard to get people to back any GOAT who is famous for a string of gritty split / controversial decisions as their title run.

Back