Poor Fabio Maldonado

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I respect him for stepping up but this is a fight that should never have happened. I would even say it was worse then DC beating Patrick Cummins.

At least Cummins had dominated all his fights (I know he hasn't fought any high caliber fighters and Maldonado could very well beat him) but at least there was the curiosity of what he could do to better fighters when he's tested.

Maldonado has been in there with the best so we know what he is and isn't capable of. Again, it took balls to go up against a much heavier top HW but the UFC should never have had this fight. His style was perfect for Stipe and even if he could take the punches it would be much like the Glover fight where he's just getting hurt because he's in the cage with someone he shouldn't be.

I wish the UFC was more concerned with fighters and less about making money. I felt a similar way when they baited Henderson with a title shot to fight quickly after his come from behind loss only to get thrown around and beaten up.

I was sad when he first got rocked by Stipe. The way he covered up, all his confidence sapped, and he looked up at Stipe like "Please don't."

Good thing it was a quick KO instead of a prolonged beating.

I'm actually quite relieved. I thought it would have turned out much worse, and the UFC and AC would be even more embarrassed than they are now.

This fight had absolutely no business being put together or sanctioned....The fact the UFC couldn't see this, and made the fight anyway really concerns me.

I was sad when he first got rocked by Stipe. The way he covered up, all his confidence sapped, and he looked up at Stipe like "Please don't."

Agreed. He looked terrified like Shlemenko was when Tito was on him.

That fight definitely should not have been made but it was a short notice fight and he did the company a favor. Probably not a good idea for his health. Also, he got rocked hard right off the bat.

HUMILIATION

Looked as bad as you can possibly look. Thats what he wanted though. Hopefully he never asks for a HW fight again.

I realize Bones Jones has the reach advantage on most HWTs, but a fight like this makes me wonder how he'll react when he moves up to HWT and gets punched/kicked by a striker like JDS, Hunt or Nelson.

I'm actually quite relieved. I thought it would have turned out much worse, and the UFC and AC would be even more embarrassed than they are now.

This fight had absolutely no business being put together or sanctioned....The fact the UFC couldn't see this, and made the fight anyway really concerns me.

I don't understand why the UFC or AC would be embarrassed? It is the fighters choice to fight bigger or smaller guys

I don't understand why the UFC or AC would be embarrassed? It is the fighters choice to fight bigger or smaller guys

Yes, yes it is....And the truth is a lot of these guys are so crazy and tough they would be willing to fight anyone.

It's the UFC's and AC's job to be professionals and recognize when a fight is incredibly lopsided. The AC especially because they are there to protect a fighters health, and make sure all is fair as possible.

They don't just let anyone fight for obvious reasons. In this fight, they used extremely poor judgement and we should be thankful things didn't turn out much worse for Fabio because they surly could have.

I realize Bones Jones has the reach advantage on most HWTs, but a fight like this makes me wonder how he'll react when he moves up to HWT and gets punched/kicked by a striker like JDS, Hunt or Nelson.

Well at least Jon Jones would properly bulk up to fight at heavyweight.
Not just coming in 205+ out of shape.

Also there is a huge difference between Fabio Maldonado (who almost got cut not too long ago) and Stipe Miocic. A top 10 heavyweight
Also imo Fabio has the frame of a middlewight.

It wasn't a good fight to set up, but I don't know why I keep seeing this "shouldnt have been sanctioned " talk. Maldonado was on a streak LHW. Its not like they pulled some dude out of the crowd.

Back