Poll: What Fights Were Gifted to Jon Jones?

What fights were gifted to Jones?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Undisputed Light Heavyweight Champion
NINTCHDBPICT000502741576-e1562240019825.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000561404454.jpg

[X] Reyes 1
Bones_1120-getty.jpg

[X] Santos 1
229_jon_jones_vs_alexander_gustafsson.0.jpg

[X] Gus 1
[X] None of the above
[X] Other (Specify)

Last edited:
None of the above.

People want him to lose SO BADLY that they lose touch with reality and cannot accept his talent

None. The challenger has to decisively beat the champ or he can fuck off if he point-fights his way to a decision or backpedals like Reyes did.
The closest of those fights is Jones vs Gus. That one was razor-close, but he won vs Santos and Reyes clearly, imo.

None.

Jones knew what he was doing last night, knew he would have the last rounds.

None. The challenger has to decisively beat the champ or he can fuck off if he point-fights his way to a decision or backpedals like Reyes did.
The closest of those fights is Jones vs Gus. That one was razor-close, but he won vs Santos and Reyes clearly, imo.

Which rounds did Jones "clearly" win against Reyes, in your opinion?

Only the Reyes fight IMO, I'll argue it with anyone that Reyes won the first 3 rounds

Jones won the Gus fight because of the elbow in the 4th, the Santos fight was 50/50 for me so not enough for it to be a gifted decision

Gus, Reyes and possibly Santos..

Even giving Jones ther benefit of doubt in one or at most two of these fights. But three, in no effin way!

Reyes and Santos straight up robbed.

This was a tough fight to judge. Reyes landed many more punches to the head than Jon did, but Jones had A LOT of leg kicks and body kicks, and was always coming forward and pushing the action. I am a Jones fan, so I was rooting for him, but when they were announcing the winner, I was half expecting Reyes to be announced as THE NEW champion. They should rematch that fight sometime in the near future. Reyes put up one Hell of a fight!

In all fairness, Jon was pretty desperate and was using those short takedowns for 'point fighting' attempts to get back in the fight.. Yes Reyes was back pedaling, but Jon was doing nothing for a lot of the fight because he couldn't get set..

Sadly, all of them... It's pathetic how easy his fights can turn around in the championship rounds, in the eyes of the judges.
What Jon has done late in all those fights you listed has IMO been too little too late... So to win every single one of them is clearly a gift.

And the judges who only gives 1 round to the challenger? Come on!! (Happened both against Gus and Reyes)

He's already a great fighter and to get a loss here and there wouldn't have changed much. I don't understand why they are so afraid to have him lose.

- the Gus fight was one of those fights where one fighter maybe wins Pride Rules, but Jones definitely won on the 10pt Must System (which they contractually agreed to)
- Santos I would have to rewatch, but i remember being pissed (i hate jones) because I thought Santos shoulda won but jones did enough to score enough points to win
- Reyes definitely won the first 3 rounds. This is the first one I actually scored against him, but i also texted my friend before the decision to let him know they were still gonna give it to Jones

Reyes fight. I firmly believe he beat Santos and Gus but lost today

This idea you need to "take it" from the champion is dumb. If a challenger wins 3 out of the 5 rounds he has done enough to win. That being said, this fight was a not a "robbery".

Jones has 4 losses on his record.

Jones won the Gus fight. He clearly got the last three rounds. I don't know how's that even a discussion. Haven't rewatched the Santos fight. I was edging towards Santos, but it was razor close. Could be different if I rewatch it, especially without commentary.

As for Reyes, gave him the first three. Just rewatched the second round only. It's extremely close. Still can't give it to Jones. It's either a draw or a Reyes round. But it's way closer than I initially thought.

In all honesty after the first emotions passed - you can't edge three rounds in a championship fight and call it a day. Volk won 4 to 5 rounds against Max, but two of the judges gave him 3. Hendricks took the fifth off, thinking he did his job and lost. Three is just not enough if you are the contender, especially the first three.

“I had it 3-2 Reyes,” Anthony Smith said. “I had Reyes winning the first three rounds and Jones winning the last two. I was more focused on what he looked like in between rounds. In between rounds he looked lost, flustered and he looked worried.”

Back