Opinion Poll: Should Face Masks Be National Policy

Should we have a national policy requiring face mask wearing during a pandemic?

• Total voters
Should be State by State policy, cause some States and Counties are hard hit while others have very few cases. Leave it up to the Governors.

There should be a Federal policy mandating masks on airlines, trains, airports, stations and all Federal buildings.

Why doesnt anyone care that cuomo ordered the execution of countless numbers of senior citizens in new york?

Montana COVID-19 cases continue to rise
https://www.ktvh.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-continue-to-rise-nearly-30-new-cases-friday

This has been the attitude of a lot of the less densely populated states; unfortunately, cases are rising there, too.

The Great State of Nebraska has flattened the curve.

What makes that interesting is not nearly a much of our daily lives were changed compared to most other states.

Theaters, pools, and restaurants were closed. Other than that, life carried on as usual.

Should be State by State policy, cause some States and Counties are hard hit while others have very few cases. Leave it up to the Governors.

The governor of Nebraska never even bothered to issue a stay-at-home order. Given the fact that the great state of Nebraska has long since flattend the curve, it looks like some states didn't need any overly cautious lockdown measures.

The governor of Nebraska never even bothered to issue a stay-at-home order. Given the fact that the great state of Nebraska has long since flattend the curve, it looks like some states didn't need any overly cautious lockdown measures.

Nebraska is wide open, with relatively few people compared to Illinois, California, Florida, Texas, Washington, New York, Pa etc.. so flattening the curve is far easier for them.

Yeah this is why it should be State by State basis, but .... the problem is that these States will need to watch who comes in and make them self quarantine . A lot of the cases in the MidWest and elsewhere in the US can directly be traced to New York City.

Yes. In stores and malls and the like. On the street? Encouraged.

Why do you even bother with these lames?

@Diogenes of Sinope and @Farmer Br0wn seem to be completely unable to grasp the idea that things change. That we have this little thing called science, which provides a framework to test, observe, and READJUST our original assumptions.

Nope. They are forever pissed off because the CDC said something 4 months ago about a virus they barely understood. Now, through observation and more rigorous testing, we are able to identify that masks do help, and that is certainly reflected in the numbers. And that's why @Farmer Br0wn @Diogenes of Sinope and what amounts to about 60% of this forum who are "anti-mask", have absolutely no leg to stand on. They have nothing data wise to support their assertions. Instead, they want to move the conversation into vague fantasizing about civil wars, Constitutions, and slippery slopes, while simultaneously grumbling about 'rioters' and 'protesters'. LOL

I'm sure the pseudo-old-sage Farmer will plop in here with what he thinks is a brilliant 2 liner that is filled with equal parts wisdom and mystique but it will never overshadow the fact that they yearn for any little excuse they can to puff their chest about what uber protectors of the Constitution they are, and the hill they've chosen to die on (possibly quite literally), is the suggestion that people wear masks during a fucking global pandemic. What a fuckin embarassment.

And then things will change again.

They shut down the entire economy over the notion that asymptomatic carriers can easily spread the virus. Now all the same "experts" are basically saying: "Well, that's not the case I guess, sorry about destroying your whole economy and stuff....."

The one silver lining in the dark cloud of this era we live in, is that going forward, the vast majority of the general population will be much more skeptical of "experts".

The "experts" may not have your best interests at heart when they make a proclamation. They're just as prone to being misled or corrupted as anyone else.

People respond to incentives. Experts are people. Therefore, experts respond to incentives just like any other person.

Yes, but not wearing one should be a civil infraction not a criminal one.

split down the middle

shows that anti facemask messaging is bullshit and useless

People in this country are generally stupid. I don’t want to wear a mask but I do. I’m not sure why all these idiots don’t want to wear one?

yes... it should.. every other country has figured this out.. but there are too many retards in the US who bitch about a little inconvenience..

i can't believe this is the hill they are choosing to die on..

105881274_10157209905307765_9017914072170246028_n.jpg

Cases of COVID-19 are exploding across the states and it's not just because of increased testing some states are now reaching capacity in intensive care rooms. Now more and more high profile Republicans are publicly splitting with Trumps view on mask wearing, Trump as put himself on a island once again losing the common sense battle in picking a issue that needed no division.

Add insult to injury the EU as banned Americans from visiting until they get their pandemic in check, I say "their" because you can call it Kung Flu all you want it's now America's big problem further salt in wounds China is not on the EU's banned list with a couple of those "sh!t hole" countries as described by Trump.

Cases of COVID-19 are exploding across the states and it's not just because of increased testing some states are now reaching capacity in intensive care rooms. Now more and more high profile Republicans are publicly splitting with Trumps view on mask wearing, Trump as put himself on a island once again losing the common sense battle in picking a issue that needed no division.

Add insult to injury the EU as banned Americans from visiting until they get their pandemic in check, I say "their" because you can call it Kung Flu all you want it's now America's big problem further salt in wounds China is not on the EU's banned list with a couple of those "sh!t hole" countries as described by Trump.
Cases wouldn't explode if we didn't test for cases.

Science.

{<hhh]

Last edited:
Just to show how far the WR is from the general public:

wat_05222020.jpg

I see more people without masks than with so the opinion of the general public varies greatly by location. Then there are the idiots wearing a mask with their nose exposed.

Cloth and surgical masks that aren't fitted or sealed to a person's face don't do anything to stop from getting a virus. Those masks allow 70+% unfiltered air through the material only stopping the largest particles. Plus whatever is drawn in from where it's not sealed. Hell I see so many damn people touching and adjusting their masks it's probably worse off for those people. So far the only thing I've read is they stop larger saliva particulates from leaving your mask, however if covid is in the air the cloth/surgical mask isn't stopping it. So if you have it and are talking/coughing towards people's faces, sure a mask will help prevent transmission by preventing some of the particulates from leaving your mask.

"A recent study published in health affairs for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points."

1-2%, I'd guess that's within margin of error or a combination of things. Does it actually help, probably a small amount. I'm guessing the biggest benefit is those who have it and will be talking/coughing in close proximity to others. But when I go a store now I'm pretty much avoiding people as much as possible and going to self checkout.

But hey if a business wants to require a mask for people to enter I'll wear one. I still don't know anyone that has had it.

A face mask is easy and doesn’t hurt anybody. What’s the risk reward analysis? No risk, lots of potential reward. Seems like a simple no brainer unless people are— for ideological reasons— intentionally looking to complicate it.

This is my position. If I wear a mask and it helps, great!! If I wear a mask and it ends up being a waste of time, I wore a mask. The upside is huge and there really isn’t a downside.

Voted no but it should be high encouraged. My issue is that once the government has the power to do something, they won't give it up.

I think it should be strongly encouraged that if you leave the house, you should wear a mask in public. I also have zero problem with private businesses requiring you to wear a mask.

If the government forces everyone to wear a mask though, that's an authoritarian line I don't want to cross. If you go that far, you should also provide every person in the country with a mask and keep sending new ones every month.

The big issue with masks is like everything, it has become political. If you wear one, you are a liberal virtue signaler. If you don't, you are a freedom-loving right winger that won't be muzzled. Instead, the conversation is that we simply want to avoid spreading germs as much as possible. It's not just for you but others. Simply wear a mask to keep everyone safe and we get this thing under control. It should just be the right the decent thing to do as a society. Don't get me sick, I won't get you sick.

Back