Poll proves that liberals are less tolerant, more likely to delete someone . . .

Oh, the irony of the illiberal liberal...

I honestly can't discuss this with you if you don't know or are unwilling to learn what a study is, in the scientific sense.

This is not a study. There is no theory or hypothesis, there are no scientific methods employed, there is no research to form the basis, and the conclusions are not supported by a factual basis. These are the unedited endnotes from this "study":

Endnotes:
1All references to those celebrating Christmas in 2016 also include those who say they are celebrating Advent.

2Gallup/CNN/USA Today Poll, December 2005.​

So, the ENTIRE literature review for this "study" was a single Gallup poll from 2005. The researchers are basing their findings on this "research". That should be your first clue that this is in no way valid. A typical study will include a review of dozens of peer-reviewed scientific articles, whether it's in organic chemistry or anthropology.

Again, this is a compilation of opinion polls, not a valid study. Its conclusions carry no weight, and it "proves" nothing, but again, it serves to confirm certain prejudices and so will be valid in the eyes of people who share those prejudices.

Thread title changed to poll for your appeasement.

Thread title changed to poll for your appeasement.

Polls don't prove things, though. An accurate title would be:

"Poll results state people polled who self-identified as liberal are more likely to delete Facebook friends who posted about Donald Trump following election than people polled who self-identified as conservative are to delete Facebook friends who posted about Hillary Clinton."

Those are the actual results of this small sample size poll.

Polls don't prove things, though. An accurate title would be:

"Poll results state people polled who self-identified as liberal are more likely to delete Facebook friends who posted about Donald Trump following election than people polled who self-identified as conservative are to delete Facebook friends who posted about Hillary Clinton."

Those are the actual results of this small sample size poll.

I think I've budged enough. Everyone gets the point that liberals are less tolerant.

I think I've budged enough. Everyone gets the point that liberals are less tolerant.

I don't know, man. This is a weird phenomenon over the last five years or so. People who call themselves conservative are increasingly adopting the rhetoric of guys like Limbaugh who, while a self-professed conservative, is a grade-A lunatic.

His big shtick is taking old liberal talking points and flipping them back. So, whereas liberals used to say that conservatives' collective refusal to speak and act in a politically correct or culturally sensitive way was a sign of intolerance, conservatives now claim that liberals try to shout down any dissenting voices, and that's intolerance. The underlying issues are the same, but the nomenclature has changed.

I personally believe that certain people on all points along the political spectrum are intolerant to one degree or another. I think that callously dismissing liberals as intolerant is a reflection of an intolerant attitude in itself. Just as it would be for a liberal to do the same thing to a conservative.

Back