***POLL*** Jones vs Reyes Round by Round: How Did You Score It?

How did you score Jones - Reyes?

• Round 1 - Jones

• Round 1 - Reyes

• Round 1 - Draw

• Round 2 - Jones

• Round 2 - Reyes

• Round 2 - Draw

• Round 3 - Jones

• Round 3 - Reyes

• Round 3 - Draw

• Round 4 - Jones

• Round 4 - Reyes

• Round 4 - Draw

• Round 5 - Jones

• Round 5 - Reyes

• Round 5 - Draw

• Winner - Jones

• Winner - Reyes

• No winner - Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love how the poll's round by round part agrees at around 80% that Reyes won 48-47, but still a third of voters thinks Jones won. It's like some people don't even fight the idea that Jones should have lost on the scorecard, but they still think he won. How?

I scored it 48-47 Reyes but 3rd round could’ve been even making the fight a draw.

“Octagon control” counts for shit when a fighter is clearly getting outstruck and outworked which was what happened in the first 3 rounds.

when did the Texas State Fighting Commission hire you to rewrite the scoring rules?

Enlighten us, then, preferably with a source for this obvious bullshit. How, and why, are championship bouts scored differently?

because a championship belt is on the line. I know you know this, but your just being an obstinate fucboi because your cornball fighter lost against the goat.<Fedor23>

You must work for the Texan AC.

Unless there are some 10-8s in there, whoever wins the most rounds wins the fight.

a lot of MMA newbs always make this mistake. That’s not how championship bouts are scored. <BC1>

If you win three rounds you should win the fight barring 10-8 rounds.

fact of the matter is jones didn’t offer up anything offensively at all. He walked forward and got pieced up for three rounds until Reyes gassed.

again, 3 of 5 isn’t the deciding factor for victory. you need to pay closer attention to things in life. try to refine your focus.

Winning the majority of rounds (3 out of 5) still isn’t enough to win a decision in a championship bout. Jones had octagon control the entire fight, was the more aggressive fighter and scored 3 takedowns. That erases all those striking bursts that Reyes had in the fight. And he got completely outclassed in the 5th round.

You do realize that Octagon control and aggression are scored the least in a fight right? That unless the striking and grappling are dead even, that those 2 criteria aren't even supposed to be looked at? I'm constantly amazed at how most fans of this sport still have no clue how fights are supposed to be scored.

Winning 3/5 rounds doesn't win you a fight? Serious question: are you retarded? Winning 3/5 rounds is the very definition of winning a fight. Championships fight or not.

Reyes beat Jones in every metric of that fight in the first 3 rounds. Landed more overall strikes, 83-59. More significant strikes, 82-58. And shut down Jones grappling by stuffing 4/4 TD attempts.

Even when Reyes was 'gassed' in the last 2 rounds, Jones could only get him to the mat on 2/5 TD attempts, and then did literally nothing with those TDs. Didn't land a single strike on the ground. 2/9 on TDs for Jones.

If you actually watch broadcast of the PPV the announcers explain the scoring rules at the very beginning.
Correct. They make no mention of different scoring criteria being applied to championship bouts, though.

The poll results speaks for itself

Super close fight. Honestly, I scored it for Reyes. HOWEVER, I am not surprised it went to Jones. When a fight is close, Jones aggression/octagon control probably edged him on the scoresheet.

Not to mention, Jones hardly looked winded or even remotely hurt the entire duration of the fight. Reyes not so much. Could of also been a factor

Round 1 - Reyes

Round 2 - Reyes

Round 3 - Reyes

Round 4 - DRAW (Reyes hurt jon early had him on the run, covering up, Reyes got tired and jon came back to control this round).

Round 5 - Jon (Reyes tired Jon pushing the fight.)

Reyes - 3 rds
Jon - 1 rd
Draw - 1rd (round 4)

I scored round 2 as a draw, as I believe that scoring close rounds as draws always leads to fairer decisions.

Using my scoring, the fight would have been a draw, which it seems most people would agree is a fairer outcome than a Jones win.

Back