Poll (By Request) -- Better Legacy: Shogun or Machida?

It should be Shogun, but he decided to stay around and take horrendous beatings.

I feel like shogun has more of a legend vibe than machida. For whatever reason.

Yep, for some reason I thought there was more than one belt at a time, maybe it just felt like that since there was sort of a mini tourny happening at HW at that time.

I think I figured it out. Randy left with the belt so Big Nog and Timmeh fought for the interim which Big Nog won. Mir then took the interim from Big Nog and Brock unified the titles at 100. Brock then went out with his sickness and Mir and Carwin then fought for the interim which Carwin one and Brock unified those titles after beating Carwin.

That was a great time for Heavyweight.

Pretty interesting that Brock took Randy, Mir, and Carwin's belts if you look at it that way.

Sorry to get off topic but that was bugging me.

tough one but machida. shogun piling up the losses is really bad

Shogun has a better legacy. Machida is obviously the better fighter now.

Machida clearly.

Shogun has a losing UFC record of 6-8 and this greatly takes away from his legacy. And it wasn't because he was old and he still isn't old. He just was always overrated.

This lol machida still going strong at what 35-36? shogun getting ktfo by the OSP of the world.

Shogun. Machida could close the gap if he keeps going strong though...

Shogun got submitted by Chael Sonnen.. c'mon.

If Machida can get that MW strap it will be a different conversation, but as it stands, Shogun.

I voted Machida. Shogun has the Pride GP over Machida, but Machida has reinvented himself with the new age of MMA. Shogun has fell to the wayside and is losing to mid tier fighters.

Very close, but Machida by a nose.

Shogun was like a meteor. He lit up the sky when he first arrived in a way Machida has never done in his career. Shogun's performance in the spring and summer of 2005, when he won the Middleweight Grand Prix championship was incredible. You really had to be following MMA at the time to understand what I mean. He came out of nowhere to take out the leading lights of the MW division in a matter of months. His fight against Little Nog that year was one of the greatest MMA fights I've ever seen.

Sadly, almost everything Shogun has done since then has seemed less impressive, even his impressive rematch victory over Machida to win the UFC LHW belt. It was after all, bookended by two defeats.

If Machida never reached the peak Shogun achieved in MMA, the Japanese-Brazilian at least had a steadier and longer career at the top that continues to this day. He's never really been out of the mix.

Shogun clearly, tho some people will claim he's tarnishing his legacy by sticking around so long. I don't believe you should be based on what happens at the end of your career but a lot of dumbasses wanna discredit fighters who do stick around too long. IMO, losing at the end does not erase what you did at your prime. Hell, to me it doesn't matter at all.

They both held the belt for the same amount of time and Shogun beat him 2x. Now if Machida can get the MW belt that'll be something. Also, Shogun was ranked #1 for a long time without the belts while Machida's time @ the top was short lived.

Like I said, losing at the end does not erase what you did in your prime.

It's not like with Chuck or any or the pre-Pride buyout UFC champions who were big fish in small ponds. When Shogun was UFC champ, he was the top fighter in the world. When Chuck was, he wasn't the best and lost as soon as real competition came to the UFC so yeah...

Shogun has the better legacy, but I do believe overall Machida is the more skills martial artist.

Bump so other plats don't recreate the poll like I did

Back